[News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading - Linux ; London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect ,----[ Quote ] | She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect’s three interactive | gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market | information daily, including share prices, ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

    London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect’s three interactive
    | gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market
    | information daily, including share prices, to about 100,000 terminals.
    |
    | Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange’s London Market
    | Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and a SQL Server
    | database, and runs on more than 100 Intel-based 32-bit Proliant servers.
    `----

    http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate

    And this is the deployment Microsoft brags about in its anti-Linux ads.

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...d_vote_da.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Nineteen machines had 21 screen freezes or system crashes, producing a
    | blue screen and messages about an "illegal operation" or a "fatal
    | exception error."
    |
    | "Especially with this blue-screen problem, you don't know whether it's
    | the printer drivers, you don't know whether it's Diebold's own code or
    | whether it's Windows,"
    `----

    http://www.verifiedvotingfoundation....le.php?id=6257

    Mainframe Linux at SHARE

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everyone is already using Linux somewhere, Elliott said, but there are still
    | people who are afraid to put their mission-critical applications on it for
    | fear that it is not robust enough. *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/118624

    Open source and mission critical: The Linux application server landscape

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2005, Michael Dortch, executive editor and director of IT infrastructure
    | management strategies at the Robert Frances Group, penned a report comparing
    | Linux application server total cost of ownership (TCO) with Microsoft's
    | Windows and Sun Microsystems' Solaris. In that report, Linux won handily,
    | prompting Dortch to recommend that all IT managers at least give the Linux
    | application server a serious look for mission-critical data center tasks. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What a lot of our clients are finding today, however, is that, with Linux and
    | open source application servers, the wisdom of the crowd has solved those
    | standards-based problems. And because the management tools are freely
    | available and malleable, they find that the big sell was "cheap and free" but
    | is now "What will complete my processes faster?" Open source used to be
    | inexpensive and free, but now IT is finding value [in it] because it's more
    | responsive and responsive. * * *
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...06&uid=2087385

    Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
    mission-critical applications

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
    | of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
    | and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...er_open_1.html

    Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
    | systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
    | senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
    | software at Oracle.
    `----

    http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569

    Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
    | significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
    | these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
    | "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
    | impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
    | about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
    `----

    http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsig...crossing_.html

    Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
    | open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
    | the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
    | gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
    | that are commercially viable.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
    | financial services companies and that's why many companies are
    | expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
    | open source software."
    `----

    http://community.linux.com/article.p...10216&from=rss

    Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
    | that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
    | have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
    | announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
    | source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
    | Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
    | years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
    | by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
    | are more than happy to believe them.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R...ux_Says_Report

    CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
    | will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
    |
    | "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
    | - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
    | Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=7681

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect?s three interactive
    >| gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market
    >| information daily, including share prices, to about 100,000 terminals.
    >|
    >| Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange?s London Market
    >| Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and a SQL Server
    >| database, and runs on more than 100 Intel-based 32-bit Proliant servers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate
    >
    > And this is the deployment Microsoft brags about in its anti-Linux ads.

    Oh god, the idiots... what were they thinking about? Heads will surely
    roll a very very long long way on this one. Probably all the way into
    the Thames, I should imagine.

    Outage. Microsoft. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

    ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:27 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| She said the problem appeared to lie with Infolect?s three interactive
    >>| gateways, which send out about 10 million separate pieces of market
    >>| information daily, including share prices, to about 100,000 terminals.
    >>|
    >>| Infolect was launched two years ago in place of the exchange?s London
    >>| Market Information Link platform. It uses Microsoft .net technology and a
    >>| SQL Server database, and runs on more than 100 Intel-based 32-bit Proliant
    >>| servers.
    >> `----

    http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate

    >> And this is the deployment Microsoft brags about in its anti-Linux ads.
    >>

    > Oh god, the idiots... what were they thinking about? Heads will surely
    > roll a very very long long way on this one. Probably all the way into
    > the Thames, I should imagine.
    >
    > Outage. Microsoft. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

    Microsoft bets a lot on this deployment. They probably have breathtaking
    redundancy levels (like entire duplicate clusters just in case the bad patch
    kicks in or WGA has a false positive).

    Microsoft's idealogy must be that if they can throw x3 the cost on some major
    deployment and then invest x300 the normal advertising cost to say something
    like "stock exchange... HATES Linux", then the sheeple will assume that the
    sky is falling on GNU/Linux and that Windows actually works...

    ....Never mind if you pay x10 to handle the same workload. In due time, the cost
    will be _assumed part of the situation_... just as people assume that a new
    (Vista) PC should cost $700 if decent performance is needed (Linux costs
    about $300 and it has a lot more software)...

    .... also assuming that viruses/defragging/reboot are a reality to cope with
    (because, frankly, There's No Other Way(TM), say our friends at Redmond).

    It's the Big Lie. I've been hearing the phrase elsewhere as well... quite
    recently in fact.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
    Cpu(s): 26.0%us, 4.3%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.3%id, 4.1%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:27 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> London Stock Exchange blames outage on Infolect
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.cio.co.uk/concern/securit...allchantopdate
    >>>
    >>> And this is the deployment Microsoft brags about in its anti-Linux ads.
    >>>

    >> Oh god, the idiots... what were they thinking about? Heads will surely
    >> roll a very very long long way on this one. Probably all the way into
    >> the Thames, I should imagine.
    >>
    >> Outage. Microsoft. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

    > Microsoft bets a lot on this deployment. They probably have breathtaking
    > redundancy levels (like entire duplicate clusters just in case the bad patch
    > kicks in or WGA has a false positive).
    >
    > Microsoft's idealogy must be that if they can throw x3 the cost on some major
    > deployment and then invest x300 the normal advertising cost to say something
    > like "stock exchange... HATES Linux", then the sheeple will assume that the
    > sky is falling on GNU/Linux and that Windows actually works...
    >
    > ...Never mind if you pay x10 to handle the same workload. In due time, the cost
    > will be _assumed part of the situation_... just as people assume that a new
    > (Vista) PC should cost $700 if decent performance is needed (Linux costs
    > about $300 and it has a lot more software)...
    >
    > ... also assuming that viruses/defragging/reboot are a reality to cope with
    > (because, frankly, There's No Other Way(TM), say our friends at Redmond).
    >
    > It's the Big Lie. I've been hearing the phrase elsewhere as well... quite
    > recently in fact.

    The proprietary software world hasn't quite been successful in getting
    the BSA to link tightly enough in with governments in order to support a
    "big lie" offensive in a sustainable way. Interestingly, whilst the GNU
    project and the Linux kernel and all those distros are very much a child
    of the internet, so is the publicity abounding which is sufficient to
    undo the "big lie".

    I'm quite certain that the digests are having a direct impact on
    technical journalism, which is one reason why Erik and co are so so keen
    to stop News articles being posted.

    I say again, Doug, HPT, Homer, and anyone else posting relevant articles
    - please put a [News] tag in the header, and I'll get them in the
    digest. It has been by far the most effective form of advocacy which
    has ever come out of cola.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slopware Halts Stock Exchange Trading

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >...Never mind if you pay x10 to handle the same workload.

    Well, if you grease enough of the right palms... Only "the little
    people" suffer.

+ Reply to Thread