[News] Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops - Linux ; Video: Fedora 8 highlights ,----[ Quote ] | Fedora 8 has gone live, and we’ve got a short video that gives some | background on the release, specifically the new custom spins. `---- http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-8-highlights/ Fedora 8 Review ,----[ Quote ] ...

  1. [News] Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

    `----

    http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-8-highlights/

    Fedora 8 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general purpose Linux
    | distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and
    | sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement is: "Fedora is about the
    | rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and took over.
    | With the current release for Fedora, it seems that Red Hat is fighting really
    | hard to control the lost ground. The intense effort is clear from the current
    | release. If we ignore minor hick-ups, werewolf is one of the best releases
    | from Fedora. With this release Fedora is returning to my workstation as
    | distribution of choice, after a long time.
    `----

    http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/1...-8-review.html

    Fedora 8 Review on DELL D620.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have 2 Pentium D PC's running FC7 and DELL D620 Laptop running Ubuntu in
    | dual boot.
    | I'm so satisfied with the configuration and performance of FC7 that as soon
    | as I heard FC8 was available I went ahead and tried to blast away Ubuntu from
    | my laptop and replace it with FC8.
    `----

    http://cabazorronews.blogspot.com/20...dell-d620.html

    A Java Developer's Review of Fedora 8

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just finished installing Fedora 8. One new feature that really caught my
    | eye is that it includes an unencumbered version of Java, based on OpenJDk,
    | called IcedTea. In addition to IcedTea, Fedora 8 includes a lot of Java
    | software out of the box including Eclipse, Maven, ANT, Tomcat 5, and Jetty,
    | among others.
    `----

    http://ensode.net/java_fedora_8_icedtea.html

    Related:

    What's New in Fedora 8?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Spins are Fedora Live CDs that are created to serve a certain number of
    | people. It does so by having the applications that those people would need,
    | in other words, it saves them the time to install these software.
    |
    | There are three new spins shipped with Fedora 8: Games; Developer; and
    | Electronic Lab.
    `----

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releas...eleaseSummary/

    Red Hat's Fedora 8 hope: An all-purpose Linux foundation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The ability to "re-spin" Fedora is attracting some interest. Among the
    | Fedora-based variations that will be available are one for gaming, one for
    | designing microprocessors, and one for programmers.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9813113-39.html

    An old hat with new tricks: Fedora 8 officially released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've been experimenting with Fedora 8 test 3, and I like what I see. This is
    | a nice release with a pretty sweet assortment of features that you won't find
    | anywhere else. Fedora still manages to differentiate itself and rise above
    | many other contenders by delivering early access to new technologies. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-released.html

    A peek at Red Hat's Fedora 8 Linux [Screenshots tour]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat's Fedora 8 version of Linux is set to debut Thursday, the latest
    | version of a product line geared for enthusiasts, programmers, and Linux
    | users who want to get a taste of what's to come in the supported Red Hat
    | Enterprise Linux. * *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/2300-1016_3-6217482-1.html

  2. Re: Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

    On Nov 10, 5:29 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Video: Fedora 8 highlights
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Fedora 8 has gone live, and we've got a short video that gives some
    > | background on the release, specifically the new custom spins.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-8-highlights/
    >
    > Fedora 8 Review
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general purpose Linux
    > | distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and
    > | sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement is: "Fedora is about the
    > | rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and took over.

    Red Hat had a quality distribution for end-users, with support, which
    was sold on retail shelves nationwide. Then they dropped support for
    their desktop products and started marketing to businesses while using
    their community of desktop users as test subjects for new technology
    to be deployed in their enterprise products. Most Fedora releases
    have been absolutely craptacular compared to the Red Hat releases of
    the late 90's and the Ubuntu releases of today. If they want to
    recover lost users, they may want to consider producing a product of
    comparable quality.

    > | With the current release for Fedora, it seems that Red Hat is fighting really
    > | hard to control the lost ground. The intense effort is clear from the current
    > | release. If we ignore minor hick-ups, werewolf is one of the best releases
    > | from Fedora. With this release Fedora is returning to my workstation as
    > | distribution of choice, after a long time.
    > `----

    These "minor hick-ups" so far include a permanent lock on YUM which
    prevents users from installing or removing applications.

  3. Re: Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

    ____/ nrballard@gmail.com on Sunday 11 November 2007 07:47 : \____

    > On Nov 10, 5:29 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> Video: Fedora 8 highlights
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Fedora 8 has gone live, and we've got a short video that gives some
    >> | background on the release, specifically the new custom spins.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-8-highlights/
    >>
    >> Fedora 8 Review
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general purpose
    >> | Linux distribution, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project
    >> | and sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement is: "Fedora is about
    >> | the rapid progress of Free and Open Source software."
    >> |
    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and took
    >> | over.

    > Red Hat had a quality distribution for end-users, with support, which
    > was sold on retail shelves nationwide. Then they dropped support for
    > their desktop products and started marketing to businesses while using
    > their community of desktop users as test subjects for new technology
    > to be deployed in their enterprise products. Most Fedora releases
    > have been absolutely craptacular compared to the Red Hat releases of
    > the late 90's and the Ubuntu releases of today. If they want to
    > recover lost users, they may want to consider producing a product of
    > comparable quality.

    They are supposed to bring a RHEL-quality desktop product later this month,
    according to report. They already have deals with large OEMs that will have
    that product preinstalled. Red Hat probably keeps quiet about it on purpose.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Every beginning must start somewhere
    Tasks: 113 total, 1 running, 112 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: Fedora 8 Conquers People's Desktops and Laptops

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:47:50 -0800, nrballard wrote:

    > On Nov 10, 5:29 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Video: Fedora 8 highlights
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Fedora 8 has gone live, and we've got a short video that gives some |
    >> background on the release, specifically the new custom spins. `----
    >>
    >> http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-8-highlights/
    >>
    >> Fedora 8 Review
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Fedora (previously called Fedora Core) is an RPM-based, general
    >> purpose Linux | distribution, developed by the community-supported
    >> Fedora Project and | sponsored by Red Hat. Fedora's mission statement
    >> is: "Fedora is about the | rapid progress of Free and Open Source
    >> software." |
    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | Red Hat ruled the Linux distribution world, before Ubuntu came and
    >> took over.

    > Red Hat had a quality distribution for end-users, with support, which
    > was sold on retail shelves nationwide. Then they dropped support for
    > their desktop products and started marketing to businesses while using
    > their community of desktop users as test subjects for new technology to
    > be deployed in their enterprise products. Most Fedora releases have
    > been absolutely craptacular compared to the Red Hat releases of the late
    > 90's and the Ubuntu releases of today. If they want to recover lost
    > users, they may want to consider producing a product of comparable
    > quality.

    I have found Fedora Core 6 , Fedora 7 and now Fedora 8 to be completely
    problem free.

    >> | With the current release for Fedora, it seems that Red Hat is
    >> fighting really | hard to control the lost ground. The intense effort
    >> is clear from the current | release. If we ignore minor hick-ups,
    >> werewolf is one of the best releases | from Fedora. With this release
    >> Fedora is returning to my workstation as | distribution of choice,
    >> after a long time. `----

    > These "minor hick-ups" so far include a permanent lock on YUM which
    > prevents users from installing or removing applications.

    Nonsense. I have no problem at all installing or removing applications
    with yum.

+ Reply to Thread