Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Talks Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Larry Lessig gets TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling, following >| this elegant presentation of ?three stories and ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Talks Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Larry Lessig gets TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling, following
    >| this elegant presentation of ?three stories and an argument.? The Net?s most
    >| adored lawyer brings together John Philip Sousa, celestial copyrights, and
    >| the ?ASCAP cartel? to build a case for creative freedom.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187

    Whooping and whistling? Is this a nursery school?

  2. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 22:38 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Talks Larry Lessig: How creativity is being strangled by the law
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Larry Lessig gets TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling, following
    >>| this elegant presentation of ?three stories and an argument.? The Net?s
    >>| most adored lawyer brings together John Philip Sousa, celestial copyrights,
    >>| and the ?ASCAP cartel? to build a case for creative freedom.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/187

    > Whooping and whistling? Is this a nursery school?

    "TEDsters to their feet, whooping and whistling"

    I'm not sure about TEDsters and toddlers, but that ought to have suited an
    audience of senators that think of the Internet as a bunch of tubes that pass
    all kind of naughty-naughty messages about G W.

    Either way, Lessig's achievements are tremendous. He's part of a broader
    pictures that also includes Jimbo Wales. I don't just use Wikipedia a lot, but
    I also use a lot of graphics (GPL or public domain) from Wiki Media. The
    foundation for lots of this was laid by those who said, "who the heck needs to
    assume that /everyone/ wants to retain all the rights rather than share a
    little?" (as in peer production)

    Look at the Internet. If legal sharing was not possible, we would be looking at
    boring barebone pages, wouldn't we? Or just visit one among the 'major' sites
    like CNN.com and MSBBC.co.uk

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
    00:00:01 up 11 days, 4:11, 3 users, load average: 0.53, 0.53, 0.83

  3. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    [H]omer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Whooping and whistling? Is this a nursery school?

    > Close ... it's America.
    >
    > Had it been in the Southern States, they would have pulled out their
    > handguns and shot into the air too.
    >
    > Regardless, the talk was illuminating and inspiring, for those composed
    > enough to pay attention.

    Ahh...

    Well, just got back from Dallas. It was quite fun; very friendly, as
    ever. Bizarre coincidence - a BT Red Phone Box in the car park of the
    shop next to my hotel...

  4. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:10 : \____

    >> Look at the Internet. If legal sharing was not possible, we would be
    >> looking at boring barebone pages, wouldn't we? Or just visit one
    >> among the 'major' sites like CNN.com and MSBBC.co.uk

    > The Bush & Blair "My first love" video clip is hilarious.
    >
    > But this talk illustrates the point, that the disease of "IP" insanity
    > threatens culture more than any single dictatorship in history. It
    > stifles everything from creativity to political commentary, reducing
    > people to the status of mute sheep, who march from the cradle to the
    > grave, whilst accomplishing nothing ... contributing *nothing* to
    > society, other than padding out the pockets of those vile manipulators
    > who want to control everything and everyone, for the sake of their sick
    > addiction to power and greed.

    It makes many sites (Groklaw for example) very graphicsless. It's appalling.
    Thank goodness for peer production-like resources such as Stock Exchange and
    Wiki Media. I use them a lot. In fact, that's where a lot of BN.com graphics
    come from.

    Wait until MSBBC says that it's no longer legal to quote fragments of text from
    that site. A few years ago, Sainsbury's forbade /LINKING/ to their /OWN/ site.
    Yes! Linking!!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
    Protocol)
    Mem: 515500k total, 444472k used, 71028k free, 5448k buffers

  5. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 01:00 : \____

    >> Wait until MSBBC says that it's no longer legal to quote fragments of
    >> text from that site. A few years ago, Sainsbury's forbade /LINKING/
    >> to their /OWN/ site. Yes! Linking!!

    > But then if Trolls like Hardon Quirk are to be believed, /linking/ to
    > something /is/ plagiarism. Yeah ... OK :-\
    >
    > And look at that UK site TVLinks getting shut down, and the owner
    > *arrested*, just for providing /links/ to TV programmes.
    >
    > IP insanity.

    What?!?!! Link?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
    01:00:01 up 12 days, 5:11, 3 users, load average: 0.19, 0.90, 1.31

  6. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    [H]omer espoused:
    >> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 01:00 : \____

    >>> And look at that UK site TVLinks getting shut down, and the owner
    >>> *arrested*, just for providing /links/ to TV programmes.
    >>>
    >>> IP insanity.

    >> What?!?!! Link?

    > .----
    >| NetDanzr writes "TV Links, a Web site that provided links to
    >| hundreds of movies, documentaries, TV shows and cartoons hosted on
    >| streaming media sites such as Google Video and YouTube, has been
    >| raided by UK authorities. The site's operator was also arrested,
    >| The Guardian reports. Even though the site has not hosted any
    >| pirated content, it was a thorn in the side of movie and TV
    >| studios, thanks to having links to newest movies and TV shows. As
    >| the largest site of its kind, it showcased the power of user-driven
    >| Internet, with the site's visitors helping to keep links to content
    >| constantly updated."
    > `----
    >
    > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...46236&from=rss
    >
    > Great! So YouTube "breaks the law", but it's just some guy who posts the
    > YouTube /link/ that gets shut down and arrested.
    >
    > And as for "breaking the law" - even /that/ is bollocks. Some low grade,
    > 30 second clip should be protected by fair-use rights. Look at the fuss

    The appropriate term in England and Wales law is "fair-deal"...
    "fair-use" is a yank term. I've no idea what other geographies use
    here.

    > Prince made over a barely recognisable and muffled clip of one of his
    > songs, in a home video that was posted to YouTube:
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...en_video_clip/
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ
    >
    > Oh look, I just broke the law. Better call the police and have them
    > execute me by lethal injection, for posting a /link/ to a Prince song.
    >
    > Do these record execs / film studios / artists really think that these
    > low-grade Flash clips are worth pursuing, and that people really use
    > them as alternatives to DVD quality products, without ever buying the
    > real thing? How bloody greedy can they get? Running around like a bunch
    > of vigilante thugs, playing whack-a-mole with people's home videos. It's
    > sickening.
    >
    > "Intellectual Property" is a concept worthy of an Orwell novel.

    Indeed.

    I've spent some time exploring youtube, and most of the music related
    material is short videos of concerts taken by fans using mobiles or
    inexpensive video cameras from within the audience. Or, in some cases,
    they are ancient tape recordings of eg., TOTP or similar, uploaded.
    Only a real fan could possibly be interested in such things - there is
    no way such material is saleable in any accepted normal sense - it's
    fanzine stuff.

    Flash movies are hardly a replacement for a divx, let alone a
    full-quality DVD.

    The real issue here is that the record companies are becoming
    increasinly irrelevant...

  7. Re: [News] [Rights] New Laws Used to Steal Freedoms Away

    ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 09:33 : \____

    >> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 12 November 2007 01:00 : \____

    >>> And look at that UK site TVLinks getting shut down, and the owner
    >>> *arrested*, just for providing /links/ to TV programmes.
    >>>
    >>> IP insanity.

    >> What?!?!! Link?

    > .----
    > | NetDanzr writes "TV Links, a Web site that provided links to
    > | hundreds of movies, documentaries, TV shows and cartoons hosted on
    > | streaming media sites such as Google Video and YouTube, has been
    > | raided by UK authorities. The site's operator was also arrested,
    > | The Guardian reports. Even though the site has not hosted any
    > | pirated content, it was a thorn in the side of movie and TV
    > | studios, thanks to having links to newest movies and TV shows. As
    > | the largest site of its kind, it showcased the power of user-driven
    > | Internet, with the site's visitors helping to keep links to content
    > | constantly updated."
    > `----
    >
    > http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...46236&from=rss
    >
    > Great! So YouTube "breaks the law", but it's just some guy who posts the
    > YouTube /link/ that gets shut down and arrested.

    Yup. Easier target. He can't go to court and defend himself like Google can, so
    it's cheaper and easier.

    > And as for "breaking the law" - even /that/ is bollocks. Some low grade,
    > 30 second clip should be protected by fair-use rights. Look at the fuss
    > Prince made over a barely recognisable and muffled clip of one of his
    > songs, in a home video that was posted to YouTube:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...en_video_clip/

    I think it was only 29 seconds and he's making an ass out of himself when he
    C&Ds his own fans (sites). Then again, even the negative publicity makes him
    more famous.

    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KfJHFWlhQ
    >
    > Oh look, I just broke the law. Better call the police and have them
    > execute me by lethal injection, for posting a /link/ to a Prince song.
    >
    > Do these record execs / film studios / artists really think that these
    > low-grade Flash clips are worth pursuing, and that people really use
    > them as alternatives to DVD quality products, without ever buying the
    > real thing? How bloody greedy can they get? Running around like a bunch
    > of vigilante thugs, playing whack-a-mole with people's home videos. It's
    > sickening.
    >
    > "Intellectual Property" is a concept worthy of an Orwell novel.

    Well, the RIAA is like a farm of animals.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
    12:20:01 up 12 days, 16:18, 3 users, load average: 0.41, 0.80, 0.90