X question - Linux

This is a discussion on X question - Linux ; Hi, How can I remotely enable X-windows connections on an unattended computer? When I am logged in remotely, I get this error: # xhost +localhost xhost: unable to open display "129.bla bla bla....:0.0" or I try # env DISPLAY='129.bla.bla.bla:0.0' xhost ...

  1. X question

    Hi,

    How can I remotely enable X-windows connections on an unattended
    computer?
    When I am logged in remotely, I get this error:

    # xhost +localhost
    xhost: unable to open display "129.bla bla bla....:0.0"

    or I try

    # env DISPLAY='129.bla.bla.bla:0.0' xhost +

    which does not work.

    The reason I need to do this is because,
    after a power failure and reboot, the unattended computer needs to run
    a program
    called 'tvtime' just once in order to set some mystery video
    parameters so that
    another program (which doesn't need an X server) can grab pictures
    from
    "/dev/video" from an installed video card correctly. But 'tvtime'
    needs an X server.
    But it apparently cannot connect when the login screen is showing
    (whatever
    runlevel that is, but the computer shows X as a process at that
    point).
    Ideally, I could find out how 'tvtime' sets the correct horizontal
    width, and
    skip this mess, but I have not been able to.

    Thanks,
    -Mike

  2. Re: X question

    Mike writes:
    > How can I remotely enable X-windows connections on an unattended
    > computer?
    > When I am logged in remotely, I get this error:
    >
    > # xhost +localhost
    > xhost: unable to open display "129.bla bla bla....:0.0"

    What are you trying to accomplish this way, ie which host should
    be able to connect to a server running where? If the server is
    running locally on the remote computer, setting DISPLAY=:0.0
    should be sufficient. If you run the server on another computer
    and want to connect to that, you will, after making sure that the
    X-server there actually listens on a reachable (firewall?) TCP-port,
    need to run xhost locally on that machine to add the other to the
    access list.

+ Reply to Thread