REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007. - Linux

This is a discussion on REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007. - Linux ; Kutloze Scheefgepoepte said: >Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat! > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.htm Thanks for the link. I will try to improve. Honestly, I have only been using usenet for a short time. If I have been doing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    Kutloze Scheefgepoepte said:

    >Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat!
    >http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.htm

    Thanks for the link. I will try to improve. Honestly, I have only been
    using usenet for a short time. If I have been doing anything else
    wrong, just tell me and I will try to improve.

  2. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >> Yeah, it probably wasn't.

    >We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    >*plonk*

    Ignore the forger.

  3. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    On Nov 12, 4:15 pm, "chrisv" wrote:
    > We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    > *plonk*

    If you all love clogwog, why is he in the COLA trolls list?

    As I have already said, I am new at this. If I am doing anything
    wrong, just explain what it is, and I will try to improve.

    For example, is two separate replies in a row like this considered bad
    style? If so, what is the correct way to handle it? Also, have I been
    overly harsh on the trolls? I know I can be a bit of a troll feeder,
    and, starting today, I am making an effort to change that.

    Here is something else I left out of the last message I sent by
    accident: The only reason I am using Gmail is that it allows free
    Usenet access. If anyone has a recommendation of a better way to get
    free access, I will listen.

  4. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    Clogwog wrote:
    > "chrisv" schreef in bericht
    >> bmillerjacobson@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> And that wasn't in the least bit crude and uncalled for, was it?

    >> Quoting the troll's garbage wasn't called for , I can tell you that...
    >>

    > And who do you think is interested in what you tell, chris?

    PLONK

  5. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    Kutloze Scheefgepoepte wrote:
    >Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat!
    >http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    Thanks for the link. I honestly apreciate it. I'm new to Usenet, and
    if I am doing anything else wrong, don't hesitate to point it out. I
    will try to improve.

    The only reason I use Gmail is because it offers free Usenet acess. If
    anyone cares to suggest a better free alternative, I will take their
    advice.

    chrisv wrote:
    >We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    >*plonk*

    I hope that was sarcastic. Clogwog is in the COLA trolls list and a
    little earlier clogwog called you a "brain-dead f##ksplatter"
    If I have acually done anything to provoke your loathing, please tell
    me so I can improve. (I had to look up "*plonk*", by the way)

    To everyone else: If he actually killfile'd me, could someone please
    post a reply so he will see this.

  6. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    On Nov 12, 4:31 pm, chrisv wrote:
    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    >
    > >> Yeah, it probably wasn't.

    > >We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    > >*plonk*

    > Ignore the forger.

    Sorry, I didn't see the "newer" option, which is why I didn't see this
    warning and thought my first reply attempts didn't get through.

  7. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    bmillerjacobson@gmail.com wrote:
    > Kutloze Scheefgepoepte said:
    >
    >> Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat!
    >> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.htm

    > Thanks for the link. I will try to improve. Honestly, I have only been
    > using usenet for a short time. If I have been doing anything else
    > wrong, just tell me and I will try to improve.

    This helps a lot:

  8. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    On Nov 12, 6:04 pm, "Rebecca" wrote:
    > bmillerjacob...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Kutloze Scheefgepoepte said:

    > >> Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat!
    > >>http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.htm

    > > Thanks for the link. I will try to improve. Honestly, I have only been
    > > using usenet for a short time. If I have been doing anything else
    > > wrong, just tell me and I will try to improve.

    > This helps a lot:http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    Thanks, but I am an Ubuntu user and that is an OE program. I don't
    even have a duel boot any more. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

  9. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    On Nov 11, 7:27 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > cc wrote:
    > > Toplist of Dumbest Posters

    > > 1. Gregory Shearman - Troll
    > > 2. [H]omer - Microsoft Apologist
    > > 3. Mark Kent - Vile Racist, Troll, Microsoft Apologist
    > > 4. Roy Culley [nyms] - Imbecile
    > > 5. High Plains Thumper [nyms] - Rampant Moron
    > > 6. Roy Schestowitz - Addicted to Posting
    > > 7. Petey Kohlmann - Hater
    > > 8. dapunka - Big, Fat, and Stupid
    > > 9. Bob Hauck - Gymnastics Teacher
    > > 10. Rick - In Love with Petey Kohlmann

    > > Note #1: All stats are generated completely inside my brain.
    > > Note #2: Dumbness is measured as (propensity to spew bull**** *
    > > denials + lies - moments of clarity)/pi
    > > Note #3: This list should be taken as fact, and any denial as such
    > > will almost certainly warrant inclusion on the list.

    > Ah... this list show who has bested cc in an argument this week.
    >
    > Let's call it the "sour grapes" list.
    >
    > Poor cc.

    Still having trouble admitting you were wrong? Is Linux as good as
    possible?

  10. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc

    wrote
    on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:08:53 -0000
    <1194912533.557304.48160@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.co m>:
    > On Nov 11, 7:27 pm, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> cc wrote:
    >> > Toplist of Dumbest Posters

    >> > 1. Gregory Shearman - Troll
    >> > 2. [H]omer - Microsoft Apologist
    >> > 3. Mark Kent - Vile Racist, Troll, Microsoft Apologist
    >> > 4. Roy Culley [nyms] - Imbecile
    >> > 5. High Plains Thumper [nyms] - Rampant Moron
    >> > 6. Roy Schestowitz - Addicted to Posting
    >> > 7. Petey Kohlmann - Hater
    >> > 8. dapunka - Big, Fat, and Stupid
    >> > 9. Bob Hauck - Gymnastics Teacher
    >> > 10. Rick - In Love with Petey Kohlmann

    >> > Note #1: All stats are generated completely inside my brain.
    >> > Note #2: Dumbness is measured as (propensity to spew bull**** *
    >> > denials + lies - moments of clarity)/pi
    >> > Note #3: This list should be taken as fact, and any denial as such
    >> > will almost certainly warrant inclusion on the list.

    >> Ah... this list show who has bested cc in an argument this week.
    >>
    >> Let's call it the "sour grapes" list.
    >>
    >> Poor cc.
    >>

    > Still having trouble admitting you were wrong? Is Linux as good as
    > possible?

    No, it is not. It never will be. Neither will Windows.

    This is not an issue specific to Linux.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  11. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    ____/ William Poaster on Sunday 11 November 2007 11:15 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ cc on Sunday 11 November 2007 04:35 : \____

    >>> How do you come to the conclusion that I think caring for kids is a
    >>> sick compulsion?

    >> You called my posting an addiction. Your question makes up stuff which I
    >> never said, so it doesn't parse or make any sense.

    > The 'cc' troll doesn't make any sense, & never did IMO. He's an idiot.

    The Scott Douglas troll is back with a new nym, but he's using cogeco.net as
    his ISP (having gotten the kick) That said, cogeco.net gave him the kick
    before, so he won't last for long. His abuse will have him treated like the
    K-Man.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic

  12. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    schreef in bericht
    news:1194909860.838261.245490@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Nov 12, 6:04 pm, "Rebecca" wrote:
    >> bmillerjacob...@gmail.com wrote:

    >> > Thanks for the link. I will try to improve. Honestly, I have only been
    >> > using usenet for a short time. If I have been doing anything else
    >> > wrong, just tell me and I will try to improve.

    >> This helps a lot:http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

    > Thanks, but I am an Ubuntu user

    Oh dear, you must be joking!
    linux makes you stupid!

    > and that is an OE program. I don't
    > even have a duel boot any more. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

  13. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>> Yeah, it probably wasn't.

    >>We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    >>*plonk*

    > Ignore the forger.

    Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv!

  14. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    schreef in bericht
    news:1194903295.171378.35200@d55g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Nov 12, 4:15 pm, "chrisv" wrote:
    >> We all love Clogwog and we all hate you!
    >> *plonk*

    > If you all love clogwog, why is he in the COLA trolls list?

    I am not on this list, chrisv is:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...risv-liar.html
    and there are more liars and trolls in cola!
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    "Sjouke Burry" schreef in bericht
    news:4738cd1d$0$25501$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl ...
    > Clogwog wrote:
    >> "chrisv" schreef in bericht

    >>> Quoting the troll's garbage wasn't called for , I can tell you that...
    >>>

    >> And who do you think is interested in what you tell, chris?

    > PLONK

    YHM
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl
    burry004@planet.nl

  16. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    On Nov 13, around 3:20 pm, "Kutloze Scheefgepoepte" Clogwog wrote:
    >pathetic denial of troll list status

    No. You are on the troll list.
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...wog-troll.html

    Then, using the name "Kutloze Scheefgepoepte", scribbled:
    >(Troll pretends to be helpful)
    >(Fake COLA FAQ full of troll lies, M$ FUD)

    I may be new to Usenet, but I'm not new to Linux. You lie. Back into
    your hole!

    (So much for not troll feeding. Is there any way to perma-ban this
    asshat? I know he nym-shifts. Perhaps there is some way to ban his
    IP?)

  17. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >*PLONK*

    Ignore the forger.

  18. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    chrisv schreef:
    > some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >> *PLONK*

    > Ignore the forger.

    Mijn gebruikersagent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (X11/20071022)

    Clogwog kan lezen niet. Clogwog is een idioot.

    --
    HPT

  19. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    Kutloze Scheefgepoepte wrote:
    > schreef...
    >> Kutloze Scheefgepoepte wrote:
    >>
    >>> Learn to ****ing post usenet messages, you top-poasting gmail twat!
    >>> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    >> Thanks for the link. I honestly apreciate it.

    > Any time, sir!
    >
    >> I'm new to Usenet, and
    >> if I am doing anything else wrong, don't hesitate to point it out. I
    >> will try to improve.

    > Read the official COLA faq:
    > [FAQ]
    > Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola. This
    > FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    > this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    > realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    > real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    > you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    > regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    > to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.
    >
    > OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    > SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS
    > 8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies

    simply because it is.

    Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:

    Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights
    Reserved

    Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Edition III

    April 19, 2002

    | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
    | many will eat your bread while working against |
    | you. They will take credit for your good works |
    | and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
    | - The Great Unknown |

    1.1 Availability

    This document is posted on a weekly to the comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    comp.answers, and news.answers newsgroups. In addition it is archived
    at rtfm.mit.edu ftp archive and its mirrors and is also available on
    the Internet FAQ Consortium's website at www.faqs.org.

    1.2 Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy

    If you are new to Linux and/or comp.os.linux.advocacy, welcome. It is
    hoped that you will will enjoy your time in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
    find it educational. We also hope that you will find Linux as useful
    for you. and that in the ripeness of time that you will become a
    contributing member of the Linux community.

    COLA is like a meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those
    who advocate the use of Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux.
    In addition it is a place were individuals interested in Linux can
    come to gain an understanding of the Linux and the Linux community and
    to learn about the capabilities of Linux from those who are
    experienced with the use, administration, and development of Linux.

    By using Linux as a user or sysadmin you are a member of the Linux
    community of which this newsgroup is an asset. The Linux community is
    world-wide and interconnected by the internet and other networks gated
    to the internet.

    The description that your news server delivers to you for
    comp.os.linux.advocacy, or COLA for short, is "Benefits of Linux
    compared to other operating systems". That description is derived from
    the charter of COLA. Sometimes advocacy groups are viewed as a place
    where the bickering undesirables of other newsgroups are directed, in
    order to remove a disruption from another group on the same general
    subject. That is incorrect for COLA.

    1.3 Contributing to this FAQ and Primer

    All those who advocate the use of Linux are invited to submit material
    and suggestions to be considered for future versions of this document.
    Submissions should be sent by email to mjcr@mindspring.com. You may
    also post your submissions in COLA; however, in that case you should
    still email your submission as well, so that the submission will not
    be missed as can happen if it were posted in COLA only.

    Submissions offered by those who may deemed to be hostile to Linux,
    including but not limited to anti-Linux propagandists, will not be
    accepted.

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup
    as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
    betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
    Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
    more about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does
    not call for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to
    gather in order to discredit Linux.

    You may have heard of another charter sometimes called by some the
    "original charter," that opens the newsgroup to the abuses that are
    inflicted on Linux by those who oppose Linux. That other charter never
    existed, it was a proposed charter for another newsgroup that never
    was created that would also have been called comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    On 14 Feb 1994, Danny Gould dgould@helix.nih.gov posted
    comp.os.linux.advocacy-RFD1@uunet.uu.net a Request for Discussion
    entitled "Request for Discussion (RFD) on comp.os.linux.advocacy" to
    the news.groups newsgroup. That RFD was cross posted to the
    appropriate newsgroups and a number of other inappropriate newsgroups
    as well. It included the following proposed charter:

    The proposed group will provide a forum for the discussion of Linux.
    In addition, it will allow comp.os.linux.misc to deal with Linux-
    specific issues. Discussion will include (but not be limited to) the
    discussion of the pros and cons of Linux and applications for Linux,
    and the comparison of Linux with other operating systems and
    environments such as Microsoft DOS and Windows, SCO UNIX, Coherent,
    NeXTstep, Macintosh System, etc. It will be an unmoderated forum.

    The call for votes on the proposal was not posted, the issue died
    without a vote.

    On 4 Oct 1994, Dave Sill de5@ornl.gov posted 37mn57$dhs@rodan.UU.NET a
    Request for Discussion entitled "REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    comp.os.linux reorganization." Thus far comp.os.linux.advocacy was not
    yet proposed. Note that unlike Danny, Dave posted the Request for
    Discussions to appropriate newsgroups only, that is a hallmark of a
    serious effort.

    On 14 Oct 1994, Dave Sill de5@de5.ornl.gov posted
    37mn57$dhs@rodan.UU.NET a revised version of this Request for
    Discussion, this revised posting called for the creation of
    comp.os.linux.advocacy among other comp.os.linux.* groups. Dave
    proposed this charter for comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    The Call for Votes went out in the required form, and on 13 Dec 1994
    posted the results ikluft@amdahl.com with greater than 8 to 1 in favor
    of the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy (our COLA) with Dave's
    proposed charter. On that date, that charter became effective and that
    other charter that was proposed for the other comp.os.linux.advocacy
    that never was created, never became anything that affects this
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Those who oppose Linux and have invaded comp.os.linux.advocacy in
    order to try to subvert the purpose of this newsgroup will continue as
    they have to insult the intelligence of the Linux advocates by citing
    that other proposed charter of that other newsgroup that never came
    into existence. They also have continued to quote from the
    introductory paragraph of the Danny's Request for Discussion as though
    that were a part of any actual or even a part of the failed, proposed
    charter. Perhaps they feel that the introductory section provides them
    with a greater impact.

    When someone posts citations from that failed Request for Discussion
    in order to make it appear that the anti-Linux propagandists are
    sanctioned to be posting in COLA, as was done by an anti-Linux
    propagandist on January 13, 2002 in article
    pMr08.457$Wf1.316644@ruti.visi.com, then once again by another anti-
    Linux propagandist on February 13, 2002 in article
    d6761fb5.0202131955.6c3b9f22@posting.google.com they are not only
    using disinformation they are also insulting the intelligence of
    everyone who is a reader COLA.

    2 COLA

    2.1 On Topic Subjects

    On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of interest to a
    person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for information
    about Linux by a person who would like to learn about it. COLA is also
    a great place to share your Linux success stories.

    COLA is not a place to advocate the use of other operating systems,
    there are other newsgroups for advocating them. COLA is not a place to
    vent real or imagined complaints regarding Linux. There are other
    newsgroups created for that purpose.

    COLA is not a place to post advertisements or other promotions for
    financial gain or for promoting anything other than the use of Linux
    operating system and growth of the Linux community.

    3 Linux

    Linux is an operating system based on the unix class of operating
    systems. It can be argued that Linux is the kernel of the operating
    system; however, in common usage the word Linux is used to refer to
    entire operating system as a whole, an operating system comprised of
    the kernel, systems utility software, user utility software and to a
    lesser extent the applications software. This is the practice that
    will be followed in this document. Specific instances of this from
    given vendors are referred to as Linux Distributions.

    Linux as stated above, is based on unix, but is not legally a clone of
    the unix operating system. On the other hand it looks like unix,
    behaves like unix, feels like unix enough to functionally be
    considered a unix. Linux is more compatible with both major classes of
    unix, BSD and AT&T, than they are with each other. Linux fully
    operates with with the other unixes as an equal peer via networking.

    Linux runs software compatible with those other unixes and in most
    cases the very same software does run on each of those unixes and
    Linux as well. Where the other unixes have deviated from each other
    with various utilities or services, Linux typically supports both of
    their styles of utilities. Often Linux is more compatible with the
    various unixes, than they are with each other.

    Linus Torvalds started developing Linux from scratch as a better unix
    than than the Minix that was then available. Minix is a contraction of
    Minimal Unix, and is the name of a very minimal unix that was licensed
    for educational purposes. The name Linux is in turn a contraction of
    Linus's Minix, although the actual results of Linus's early releases
    had already so far out classed Minix so that Linus's Unix would have
    been a better base to form the contraction Linux.

    One of the major goals of creating Linux was to create a unix that was
    free from the encumbrances of existing unixes and the licensing that
    restricted the use of Minix. So it was necessary to write the Linux
    kernel from scratch.

    The Linux operating system provides all the features that users and
    administrators should expect from any modern, high-performance
    operating system. Many of these features have been a part of Linux and
    stable for years. While the developers of various, so-called popular
    operating systems claim to be innovating, they are only playing catch
    up with Linux. As this document is being written, Linux is increasing
    its lead with the
    development on the 2.5.x series developmental/experimental kernels.

    3.1 The Kernel

    The Kernel is the core of the operating system. That is the part that
    communicates with devices, handles memory management, schedules
    processes, and provides other basic services to the systems utility
    software, user utility software and applications software. Thanks to
    the fact that the kernel handles the hardware and provides a uniform
    view of it to higher level software, regardless of your hardware
    platform, Linux will present the user with a uniform environment. That
    means that once you as a user of Linux learn to run it on a PC, or a
    Mac, or a minicomputer, or a mainframe computer you will be able to
    sit down to use Linux on any other of the supported platforms, and
    feel right at home. The hardware may look and feel different such as a
    different key layout or a different pointing device, but Linux
    knowledge is portable across hardware platforms. Members of the team
    that produced this document can attest to this, through their first
    hand experience on multiple hardware platforms running Linux.

    Many versions of the Linux kernel have been released, in fact since
    the release of the Linux kernel version 1.0.0 in there have been over
    600 official main line kernels released, including the AC series of
    Linux kernels there have been almost 900 releases in that time. The
    reason for so many releases has to do with the development of the
    kernel being an open process, this way you don't have to wait for
    months or years for a needed patch to be provided or for a feature
    that you really need to be made available.

    3.9 Linux's Compatibility With Other Operating System

    Linux is compatible at different levels with many other operating
    systems, ranging from the networking level all the way to running the
    same software.

    3.9.1 Compatible With Windows

    Linux can run Windows software by running that software under the
    actual Windows operating system (requiring a properly licensed copy of
    Windows) that is in turn running as a guest operating system in a PC
    emulator such as VMware. Linux can also run Windows software on Linux
    itself with an implementation of the Windows Application Programming
    Interface (API) via Wine. It is also possible to compile the source
    code for Windows based
    software on Linux and link it against the Wine libraries to produce a
    Linux executable of that Windows software. One note about Wine, Wine
    can only run on PC style hardware, since it is not a PC emulator
    hardware, and runs the Windows software directly on the underlying
    processor.

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Windows
    computers by running Samba using TCP/IP networking. You can also use
    MarsNWE to provide printers and network volumes using IPX/SPX
    networking. Linux can also access shares and printers provided by
    computers running Windows by the use of Samba and the Samba
    filesystem. Linux can also be a file, and print server to Windows
    clients by using Samba. Linux machines
    can access Windows machines that are emulating NetWare file servers by
    using the NetWare core protocol filesystem.

    Linux can read and write to Windows hard drive partitions that use the
    filesystems of MS-DOS and Windows 9x. The NTFS filesystem are a bit
    problematic because of their nature and they way their specifications
    change from version to version. Linux can read Windows NT, Windows
    2000, and Windows XP NTFS partitions well; however, writing directly
    to such partitions is possible but not recommended.

    There is an indirect method for Linux to read and write to NTFS
    partitions. Running Windows under a PC emulator such as VMware, give
    that copy of Windows access to the NTFS partition or partitions and
    have that copy of Windows running as a fileserver. Then let Linux
    access the fileserver through a virtual or actual network connection.

    Linux understands the Windows extensions to the CD-ROM standards.
    Linux can both read them and generate them. Linux can also access
    Windows diskettes and other disk media, either by mounting them as any
    other Linux partition can be mounted, or by the use of the mtools.

    3.9.3 Compatible With MacOS

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for
    Macintosh computers. Linux can access Macintosh based print servers
    and fileserver.

    Linux can read and write Macintosh floppies, hard drives, and other
    disk media.

    3.10 Linux Leaves Users Wanting Less

    From them 1950's through the 1970's users would expect their computers
    to operate as specified in the manuals and the specification sheets.
    The POP manuals (Principal of Operations manuals) and the rest of the
    documentation of those computers were considered to be faithful
    representations of the operations of those computers.

    There was one computer that was installed in 1964, the organization
    that owned it decommisioned it in 1984, and wanted to donate it to a
    college computer science department but they had lost the installation
    media of the machine's operating system. The computer was running
    twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week for those twenty years
    without a single reboot or any down time. There were components that
    had failed: individual tape drives and card readers/punches had worn
    out and were replaced, CRT terminals were added and the most of the
    card readers, the old model 26 keypunch stations and most of the model
    29 keypunch stations were retired. Disk drives were added to that
    computer years after the initial installation, None of that needed any
    downtime or reboots.

    In the 1970's there was the development of microprocessors and
    microcomputers, most of them matched their operating systems in what
    ever form they came in and were as reliable as the computers of the
    prior decade. Some of the hardware was problematic but the operating
    systems would generally operate as specified.

    In the early 1980's something started to change. Today many users have
    come to accept and even expect their computers and operating system to
    fail frequently, many shops now use regular reboot cycles as an
    attempt to use pre-emptive reboots to avoid crashes at unexpected
    times. They have come to expect their operating systems and systems
    software and applications software to not work as documented. What is
    even worse, they often see nothing wrong with that madness. In prior
    decades, if such undependability and unreliability were experienced, it
    would not have not been acceptable and the vendor would have to replace
    those useless systems and often had to pay for the customer's losses as
    well.

    Now flash forward to present day, users have come to expect very
    little from their computers. Such poor performance has led them to
    expect less and less while wanting more and more with little prospect
    of getting it. But in addition to such unreliable operating systems,
    there is Linux, leaving its users wanting less and less because it
    provides more and more all the time.

    * A stable operating system. Linux users no longer want for a
    stable operating system because Linux is as stable operating system.
    Twenty four hours, seven days a week non-stop operation for years at
    a time with off the shelf PC hardware is not anything unusual for
    Linux. As members of the FAQ and Primer team can attest to from
    personal experience.

    * An operating system that doesn't require me to spend a fortune on
    new hardware. Linux can run on hardware with just the computing power
    needed or that is available. Linux sysadmins upgrade to more powerful
    hardware to have more power available for their users, not to regain
    yesterday's performance from today's operating system.

    * An operating system with a decent graphical user interface.
    Or rather one that can be configured to work the way you want it too.
    With the look and feel you seek. Linux does not actually have any
    graphical user interfaces, but the X Windowing System is commonly run
    on Linux and other unixes. There are also other graphical user
    interface besides the X Window System that can run on Linux, including
    some next generation test bed systems. If a Linux user wishes he can
    run today a user interface that won't be available elsewhere for years
    or even decades, that is if he likes to live on the bleeding edge.

    * An operating system with lots of useful stuff built in. Much of
    what a person needs to purchase to get some other operating systems to
    be useful comes with the common Linux distributions. Sometimes in
    surprising ways, such as the little program named "cat" that
    concatenates files and is the more powerful original that the DOS
    command "type" was copied from. The program "cat" also provides by
    itself much of the functionality of Norton Ghost.

    * An operating system that doesn't try to prevent me from using my
    computer. Linux does not second guess or interfere with the human
    decision making process. It respects the wisdom of the human sysadmin
    and the user. There are utilities available to automate that, but in
    the end humans are the bosses. There has been a call for more "Windows
    like" automation to take over from human authority, one distribution
    that used that philosophy was Corel Linux. It is now a hated
    distribution by its own users as a result.

    * An OS not prone to viral infections.
    While in theory no operating system can be 100% all worms and viruses,
    Linux by is nature is immune enough that the possibilities that such
    little beasties exist have become like urban legends in the Linux
    community. Even if such infections could target Linux, the
    multifaceted code base would in itself limit the spread, if a sysadmin
    selects the software to run without regard to distributions and does
    not use precompiled binaries, he has just increased the level of
    immunity of his systems. The worst an attacking worm could do is crash
    a server program, but the worm creator could not actually control
    anything with the worm because he could not predict the memory layout
    of the program he is attacking on systems so independent from
    distributions. That same would generally be true with binaries
    supplied from a different distribution or different version than the
    one he is targeting.

    * An operating system which I can program and hack easily
    Anyone can have access to the source code of the Linux kernel and
    most if not all the programs they run on Linux. If one is a
    programmer, Linux provides all the tools and the source code to add or
    alter any feature he pleases. If he wants to write a new program and
    has questions, about the operation of the library functions, or the
    kernel, he can refer to the documentation, ask for help on-line, or
    just read the applicable source code. If he has a device for which he
    want to create a driver for, he can write it. If he wants to see how
    similar drivers work, there is the Linux kernel source code and the
    code of the other drivers available.

    * An operating system which doesn't decay over time.
    Since the late days of DOS programs and the coming of Window NT and
    Windows 95, there has been a pheonoma known as software rot, also
    known as bit rot. With late DOS programs it could take an individual
    program on a production system out of commission needing to be
    reinstalled. Windows 95 and Windows NT elevated the software rot
    phenomenon from causing the decay of individual programs to the decay
    of the entire operating system. This is not a factor with Linux.

    All these items are things that Linux users are not wanting for any
    longer, because Linux has given to them what they have been wanting
    for up to a decade. So yes, Linux leaves its users wanting less,
    because it provides so much more of what they have been hoping for
    from their prior operating system.

  20. Re: REAL COLA STATS: Saturday the 10th of November, 2007.

    cc wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> cc^H^HHPT wrote^H^H^H^H^Hclarified:
    >>
    >>> Toplist of [Best] Posters
    >>> 1. Gregory Shearman - [Advocate]
    >>> 2. [H]omer - [Linux Evangelist]
    >>> 3. Mark Kent - [Vindicator, Advocate, Linux Evangelist]
    >>> 4. Roy Culley [MVP] - Impressive
    >>> 5. High Plains Thumper [MVP] - [Hardware Hacker]
    >>> 6. Roy Schestowitz - [MVP Linux Poster]
    >>> 7. Petey Kohlmann - Stout Advocate
    >>> 8. dapunka - Big, Fat, and [Cuddly Linux Expert]
    >>> 9. Bob Hauck - Gymnastics [Troll Boxer]
    >>> 10. Rick - In [concurrence] with Petey Kohlmann
    >>>
    >>> Note #1: All stats are generated completely in^H^H[out]
    >>> side my^H^H[cc's] brain.
    >>> Note #2: [cc's] Dumbness is measured as (propensity to
    >>> spew bull**** * denials + lies - moments of clarity)/pi
    >>> Note #3: This list should be taken as fact, and any denial
    >>> as such will almost certainly warrant inclusion on the
    >>> list.

    >> Ah... this list show who has bested cc in an argument this
    >> week.
    >>
    >> Let's call it the "sour grapes" list.
    >>
    >> Poor cc.

    > Still having trouble admitting you were wrong? Is Linux as
    > good as possible?

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...64;fp;2;fpid;1

    "Stability is the number-one concern and our operations span the
    region, so there is always someone using the systems," Wheatley
    said. "We've had 100 percent uptime with Linux and management
    notices the difference."

    Arrow is using CentOS, a Red Hat derivative, as its main Linux
    distribution with "a couple of legit copies of Red Hat where we
    can't afford the downtime, for example with CRM".

    "We've had IBM techs come out and I didn't tell them it wasn't
    Red Hat and they went ahead and updated it as if it was,"
    Wheatley said, adding the company was severely over-licensed with
    Microsoft products and even bought them to ensure its 'safety'.
    --
    HPT