[News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better - Linux ; Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet ,----[ Quote ] | What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a | large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web | ...

  1. [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a
    | large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web
    | browsing, play multimedia (music, photos and videos), read e-mails and access
    | other applications (games, calculator, etc.).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Grade: 4 stars (out of five)
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...ool-tools.html

    Linux IM pad beefs up, invites hacking

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zipit Wireless has updated its Linux-based, WiFi-connected instant messaging
    | client for kids and other frequent IM users. The new $150 Zipit Wireless
    | Messenger 2 (Z2) adds a color screen, a faster processor, and expansion
    | interfaces likely to prove popular among both kids and Linux hardware
    | hackers.
    `----

    Related:

    Zipit gets Linux, gets on the web, teenagers around the globe
    scream with glee

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zipit, the WiFi Instant Messenger that lets kids IM and um, IM,
    | has been stuffed with Pixil, a PDA Linux OS.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/z...-the-globe-sc/
    http://tinyurl.com/uor2d

    Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As a media player it plays MP3's and other audio formats through surprisingly
    | good sounding speakers for their size, or headphones. It plays MP4 and
    | RealVideo videos, and youtube. *
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/wbays/entry/nok...nternet_tablet

    Review: Nokia N800 now with Skype

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While I enjoyed using the Nokia N800 prior to the firmware upgrade, once
    | having Skype installed made the unit made the Nokia N800 an almost
    | indispensable tool carry around. Having the ability to make phone calls
    | anywhere in the world from any location that has wireless internet was neat.
    | Furthermore with a SkypeIn plan you can easily receive phone calls from just
    | about any place in the world that has wifi. The addition of having Skype made
    | the Nokia N800 a near cellphone like device. * * *
    `----

    http://lunapark6.com/nokia-n800-now-with-skype.html

    First look: Skype for the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not only was there an updated version of the Linux-based Internet Tablet OS
    | and significantly-improved hardware, but Nokia also promised us a
    | fully-functional Skype client for the N800. Nearly six months after the
    | tablet's launch, the Skype client has finally arrived. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...et-tablet.html

    Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In contrast to the 770, Nokia really nailed it with the N800.
    | Almost all of the shortcomings have been addressed, making the
    | Internet Tablet an absolute pleasure to use. Is it a must-have
    | device? Not really, but I sure enjoy having one.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/n800.ars

    Nokia adds FM radio to N800 Internet tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's not often that a company ships a gizmo with an entire hardware
    | feature unremarked upon and unsupported, then later turns it on free
    | of charge - but that's what Nokia did with the new N800 Internet
    | tablet. They just released a package which enables an FM radio
    | tuner in the unit.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/2/7/14542

    A hacker's-eye view of Nokia's N800 Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This detailed, hands-on review examines Nokia's Linux-based N800
    | Internet Tablet first as a consumer electronics device, and then
    | as a platform for open source software development. Reviewer
    | Jerry Epplin infuses the review with crotchety humor and
    | deeply technical insights.
    `----

    Nokia's New N800 Internet Tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In all, the N800 is a feature-packed and mostly easy-to-use device.
    `----

    http://www.cio-today.com/news/Nokia-...d=13300D2TH3BG

    Reviewers converge on new Nokia Internet tablet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The N800 shipped Jan. 6 without a peep -- let alone a press release
    | -- from Nokia. Nonetheless, the device seems to be attracting more
    | interest, at least from the fourth estate, than did the arguably
    | more revolutionary 770 Internet tablet from which it evolved.
    `----

    * * * * * * * *
    Nokia N800 Internet Tablet First Thoughts Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Conclusion
    |
    | * * * From a software standpoint, I don't think the N800 is a huge
    | * * * step-up from the 770. However, its hardware is noticeably better.
    | * * * I'm glad to see that Nokia seems committed to making its
    | * * * Internet Tablet line the best that it can be.
    `----

    http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=698

  2. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a
    >| large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web
    >| browsing, play multimedia (music, photos and videos), read e-mails and access
    >| other applications (games, calculator, etc.).
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Grade: 4 stars (out of five)
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...ool-tools.html

    I had a play with a prototype N810 recently, and it is very very good
    :-)

  3. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 12:31 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a
    >>| large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web
    >>| browsing, play multimedia (music, photos and videos), read e-mails and
    >>| access other applications (games, calculator, etc.).
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| Grade: 4 stars (out of five)
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...ool-tools.html

    > I had a play with a prototype N810 recently, and it is very very good
    > :-)

    I pretty much stopped using my PDA. I only use it as a clock, among a few other
    things. Nothing beats beastie PCs -- for now.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
    Tasks: 112 total, 1 running, 111 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 12:31 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...ool-tools.html

    >> I had a play with a prototype N810 recently, and it is very very good
    >> :-)

    > I pretty much stopped using my PDA. I only use it as a clock, among a few other
    > things. Nothing beats beastie PCs -- for now.

    Ah, I do a tremendous amount of travelling, and I no longer take a
    laptop PC with me, just an N800 and a bluetooth keyboard. The N800
    shares the same PSU as my phone, too.

    It has hours of MP3s on it, whatever videos I feel like watching,
    several books, many games of all kinds, plus the web-access to work
    email is great, and it can connect to the net using GPRS or UMTS via
    bluetooth and my phone, or using wifi directly.

    It fits in my pocket, and it's pretty much all I need.

  5. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 20:33 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 12:31 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> I had a play with a prototype N810 recently, and it is very very good
    >>> :-)

    >> I pretty much stopped using my PDA. I only use it as a clock, among a few
    >> other things. Nothing beats beastie PCs -- for now.
    >>

    > Ah, I do a tremendous amount of travelling, and I no longer take a
    > laptop PC with me, just an N800 and a bluetooth keyboard. The N800
    > shares the same PSU as my phone, too.
    >
    > It has hours of MP3s on it, whatever videos I feel like watching,
    > several books, many games of all kinds, plus the web-access to work
    > email is great, and it can connect to the net using GPRS or UMTS via
    > bluetooth and my phone, or using wifi directly.
    >
    > It fits in my pocket, and it's pretty much all I need.

    I guess it's really a matter of lifestyle, so I missed the key point there.
    Travelling changes a lot, for starters.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside

  6. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 20:33 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 12:31 : \____

    >>> I pretty much stopped using my PDA. I only use it as a clock, among a few
    >>> other things. Nothing beats beastie PCs -- for now.
    >>>

    >> Ah, I do a tremendous amount of travelling, and I no longer take a
    >> laptop PC with me, just an N800 and a bluetooth keyboard. The N800
    >> shares the same PSU as my phone, too.
    >>
    >> It has hours of MP3s on it, whatever videos I feel like watching,
    >> several books, many games of all kinds, plus the web-access to work
    >> email is great, and it can connect to the net using GPRS or UMTS via
    >> bluetooth and my phone, or using wifi directly.
    >>
    >> It fits in my pocket, and it's pretty much all I need.

    > I guess it's really a matter of lifestyle, so I missed the key point there.
    > Travelling changes a lot, for starters.

    Indeed it does. Having a debian-based PC in your jacket pocket is quite
    cool :-)

  7. Re: [News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better

    ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 11 November 2007 11:01 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 20:33 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Ah, I do a tremendous amount of travelling, and I no longer take a
    >>> laptop PC with me, just an N800 and a bluetooth keyboard. The N800
    >>> shares the same PSU as my phone, too.
    >>>
    >>> It has hours of MP3s on it, whatever videos I feel like watching,
    >>> several books, many games of all kinds, plus the web-access to work
    >>> email is great, and it can connect to the net using GPRS or UMTS via
    >>> bluetooth and my phone, or using wifi directly.
    >>>
    >>> It fits in my pocket, and it's pretty much all I need.

    >> I guess it's really a matter of lifestyle, so I missed the key point there.
    >> Travelling changes a lot, for starters.
    >>

    > Indeed it does. Having a debian-based PC in your jacket pocket is quite
    > cool :-)

    I see... just remember to apt-get remove before-laundry; sudo and cron that in
    case you might forget.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
    13:05:01 up 11 days, 17:16, 3 users, load average: 0.87, 1.05, 0.97