[News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product - Linux ; Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008 ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is delaying delivery of the first Surface shipments until spring | 2008, officials told News.com this week. It turns out customizing the | hardware and software that powers ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product

    Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is delaying delivery of the first Surface shipments until spring
    | 2008, officials told News.com this week. It turns out customizing the
    | hardware and software that powers a “Big Ass Table” is harder than it looked.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=926

    To cash cows: Windows and Office. Crime for OOXML and dumping of cheap Windows
    to fight GNU/Linux. That's what keeps Microsoft from losing everything...

    Related:

    Bumps on the road to Microsoft's Surface

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although Microsoft is still getting plenty of "oohs" and "aahs" when it demos
    | its Surface computer, the company is finding the task of bringing the
    | tabletop computer to market a little rougher than it anticipated. *
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6217673.html

    Microsoft Delays Office for Mac Release

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The software maker previously said the new suite, which is to include
    | Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the Entourage e-mail program,
    | would go on sale sometime in the second half of 2007.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070802/micro...ayed.html?.v=2

    Microsoft: No Rush to Vista SP1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Those enterprises holding off Windows Vista deployments for Service Pack 1
    | maybe shouldn't wait on Microsoft.The question: Should they deploy Vista or
    | XP?
    |
    | Until today, the silence around SP1 was downright frightening. Other than
    | responding to a Google legal complaint, Microsoft has been mum about SP1's
    | delivery. Microsoft still is not saying when, but it is now saying the update
    | isn't that important.
    `----

    It is Silly to Wait for Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Do you really want to wait for Windows 7 instead of upgrading to Windows
    | Vista? What if there were more problems in Windows 7? What if the date slips
    | again. What if it takes two years for Windows 7 to stabilize after its
    | release?
    `----

    http://www.windowsvistaweblog.com/20...for-windows-7/

    It's Official: An Unofficial Delay

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft isn't characterizing the launch announcement as a ship delay, which
    | is possible because of the "2008" nomenclature and the likelihood that the
    | software will be released to manufacturing this year. My guess is that will
    | happen around November, unless there are unforeseen development problems.
    `----

    Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Because Microsoft won’t comment officially on “Fiji,” the expected,
    | standalone update to Windows Media Center, it’s tough to confirm a date slip.
    |
    | But Chris Lanier, a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) in
    | the digital media arena, is predicting that Fiji won’t debut in 2007,
    | as Microsoft and other interested parties had been predicting.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=520

    Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MPX already supported multiple input devices. Which blows pretty much all
    | assumptions in user interfaces (input) out of the water. Now I've gone one
    | step further and added support for multi-touch displays. Have a look at this
    | video... *
    `----

    http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/86

    Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
    | channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a *computer *booting
    | to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
    | Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
    | over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
    `----

    http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/...-of-barcelona/

    Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
    | location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
    | the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
    `----

    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

    Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jeff Han, consulting research scientist for NYU's Department of
    | Computer Science, developed a multi-touch interactive graphical
    | interface, which he presented at the TED conference over a year
    | ago. His research turned into its own company, Perceptive Pixel.
    |
    | Now it seems Microsoft completely ripped the idea and created
    | Microsoft Surface.
    `----

    http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/je...microsoft.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft is delaying delivery of the first Surface shipments until
    > | spring 2008, officials told News.com this week. It turns out customizing
    > | the hardware and software that powers a ?Big Ass Table? is harder than
    > | it looked.
    > `----

    SURFACE... 4 years in development... no SDK yet... Uses 1980's infrared-grid
    technology... only has 2000 inquiries from endusers and developers... with
    a possible sale price of some where between $5,000 and $10,000... promised
    to be delivered "real soon now"... falls behind delivery schedule, yet
    again, due to software and hardware issues.

    Everything that Microsoft does is laughable! Those writers in Hollywood
    should be very afraid... Microsoft could soon swoop in and take their jobs
    as writing comedy for tv shows next year...

    Well, then again, they'd muck that up too and no one would get the joke(s)

    "MICROSOFT... IT'S A GROUP EFFORT!"
    "MICROSOFT... MAKING PEOPLE LAUGH FOR OVER 20 YEARS"
    "MICROSOFT... WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO? WE'RE TAKING YOU TO HELL!"
    "MICROSOFT... THE REASON SOME PEOPLE ARE DEATHLY AFRAID OF CLOWNS"

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product

    ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:50 : \____

    >> Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008

    > I'm sure that all three of Microsoft's "big-ass table" customers will be
    > greatly disappointed by this news.

    Who wouldn't? It's a big-ass disappointment.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: innovative VTP technology (Virus Transfer
    Protocol)

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Another Big Delay for a Failing Microsoft Product

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 11 November 2007 22:50 : \____

    >>> Microsoft Surface tabletops delayed until spring 2008

    >> I'm sure that all three of Microsoft's "big-ass table" customers will be
    >> greatly disappointed by this news.

    > Who wouldn't? It's a big-ass disappointment.

    Nothing quite like a donkey on the table.

    I just took delivery of a real piano. It's a kemble conservatoire, and
    it's fantastic. I've been using Clavinova electric pianos for several
    years, but, they're just not the same.

    So, I'm all acoustic now, and not a single donkey on the table!