Simulating a crash for linux PCI watchdog card - Linux

This is a discussion on Simulating a crash for linux PCI watchdog card - Linux ; Hi, Just bought a generic watchdog card and installed it as a module. Now I need to simulate a crash to make sure the card is working before I put it out on production. I tried to pull the IDE ...

  1. Simulating a crash for linux PCI watchdog card

    Hi,

    Just bought a generic watchdog card and installed it as a module.

    Now I need to simulate a crash to make sure the card is working before I put
    it out on production. I tried to pull the IDE cable but the kernel kept on
    clicking. I was afraid to pull the memory chip for fear of causing permanent
    damage.

    I read this article written in 1997:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2102

    where the author ran a program until the process table was full.

    Does anyone have any scripts or suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Simulating a crash for linux PCI watchdog card

    Kevin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just bought a generic watchdog card and installed it as a module.
    >
    > Now I need to simulate a crash to make sure the card is working before I put
    > it out on production. I tried to pull the IDE cable but the kernel kept on
    > clicking. I was afraid to pull the memory chip for fear of causing permanent
    > damage.
    >
    > I read this article written in 1997:
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2102
    >
    > where the author ran a program until the process table was full.
    >
    > Does anyone have any scripts or suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Linux is VERY touchy about disconnecting SCSI devices. Add a scsi card
    and attach soemthing to it then pull the scsi cable off.

    /dan

+ Reply to Thread