What's Linux anyway? - Linux

This is a discussion on What's Linux anyway? - Linux ; In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. What's Linux anyway?

    In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.

    So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.

    Anybody?

    No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    RL

  2. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:34:00 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.

    Linux isn't obscure. Far from it. These days it's all over the place.
    Friend of mine went to Florida recently, and told me he'd seen Linux
    running on teh inflight entertainment consoles

    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?

    Because it's free of cost, and you don't have to beg permission from MS
    to install in on any hardware you like, as many times as you like, nor
    reactivate it if you swap out a graphics card or something. Because it's
    stable, flexible, comes with tons of great software included in the
    distro, with plenty more for download. Because it's much more secure than
    Windows, and much more interesting. Because I'm free to use it as I want,
    where I want, how I want. Because if it breaks, I have a far better chance
    of fixing it myself. Because it's not Windows.

    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    Wrong. Far more than that. Growing, steadily.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Nov 9, 11:34 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    Which part of the word 'Google' do you not understand?

  4. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    peterwn wrote:

    > On Nov 9, 11:34 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    >> is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    >> is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    >> "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >>
    >> So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    >> afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    >> upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >>
    >> Anybody?
    >>
    >> No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >>

    > Which part of the word 'Google' do you not understand?

    All six parts

    Remember, this is "raylopez99"
    To have anyone dumber than him you need the typical Mac user Oxford

    And both combined could not beat a sponge in IQ
    --
    Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

  5. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Nov 8, 5:34 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >
    > RL

    It's a state of mind.

  6. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Nov 8, 6:37 pm, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > > On Nov 9, 11:34 am, raylopez99 wrote:
    > >> In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > >> is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > >> is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > >> "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.

    > >> So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > >> afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > >> upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.

    > >> Anybody?

    > >> No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    > > Which part of the word 'Google' do you not understand?

    > All six parts
    >
    > Remember, this is "raylopez99"
    > To have anyone dumber than him you need the typical Mac user Oxford
    >
    > And both combined could not beat a sponge in IQ

    Keep spreading the cheer.

  7. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of big corporation:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux?

    Its a PISTA killer.

    Look here...
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    Installing any of those free livecds on your PC will kill your PISTA for
    free!

  8. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    <1194561240.184669.245500@i13g2000prf.googlegroups. com>:
    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do?

    Not much, if one is speaking of Linux qua Linux, the
    kernel proper. It won't even boot; it wants /sbin/init or
    /bin/bash. Take a look: /usr/src/linux/init/main.c, near
    the bottom (search for "run_init_process" if you have to).

    In most contexts here, "Linux" is a bit vague but refers
    to a "typical" Linux Distro -- and the problem is that
    there are 10-20 distros in the Top 10 or 20 that might
    be considered typical, from the currently popular Ubuntu
    to the estoeric but useful Gentoo, and Fedora, SuSE,
    and PcLinuxOS in between. As many Wintrools point out,
    there's about 350+ total (most of them derivatives).
    Choice is good but can be overwhelming.

    And if one wants to get extremely pedantic: Linux doesn't
    do anything; it is merely a frozen set of instructions
    that can be run through a microprocessor in a controlled
    fashion. The combination of hardware, BIOS, loader (GRUB,
    LILO, SILO, MILO, etc., depending on architecture), Linux
    kernel, Linux utilities, X, KDE or Gnome, and other stuff
    will comprise a complete computer system, which might very
    well meet the user's needs -- if one's paid his power bill
    and has remembered to plug everything in and turn it on.

    > Why
    > is it better than WIndows?

    It's not better than Windows, just different. One problem
    is defining the term "better".

    Cheaper? Initially yes; Linux can be downloaded for
    almost free from anywhere in the world, or one can buy
    discs from various locations, Cheapbytes probably being
    the most obvious one. (The shipping costs are annoying
    but what can one do? :-) ) The IDC study is interesting
    in claiming higher support costs; there are other issues
    such as hardware ramifications. I frankly don't know at
    this point, but there are other studies suggesting Linux
    is cheaper there, as well.

    Prettier? That only goes so far. I like Beryl's
    eye candy but wonder how quickly it gets shut off
    or altered into something usable. I can't say I
    know how many people play "shufflewindow" in Vista,
    either. MacOSX has its own ideas on all this, and
    they can be downright peculiar. Some of my fellow
    posters here use CLI exclusively, bad as that must
    be to those used to pointy draggy clicky droppy.

    More reliable? It would appear so, at least to me.
    Of course Windows is not standing still in that area,
    and hardware such as NAT routers surrounding Windows may
    blunt much of the problems created by malware, to the point
    that Windows actually looks like a pretty good solution.
    The problem is that Linux is a better one, but it's not
    moving, at least from the perception of a user worried
    about security. (Does it need to? Probably not, though
    we do need to ensure we don't copy the stupider design
    decisions that open the door and let the malware in,
    because we won't be facing it with a grin.)

    More secure? I'd say that Linux is more secure; certainly
    its model is more straightforward for me to secure.
    Windows has a lot of quirks in it, and historical artifacts
    in Windows may preclude usability and installability if one
    screws it down too tight. However, unsecured Linux boxes
    are not unknown, and one does have to know what one's doing.

    More flexible? In the right hands, both can do wonders.
    Linux is probably a little easier to get into, though --
    if only because the source is very readily available.
    Go ahead, look around in there; it won't bite, though
    I can't guarantee that it's comprehensible. Linux also
    has the ability to be ported to many hardware platforms,
    including ARM, 680x0, and IBM's z-series. Windows might
    compile for the PPC and Alpha, but that's about it.

    More open? Very much so, though one can make the case
    that Windows is also very open -- maybe a little too
    open. However, while Windows is very hackable (replace
    a .DLL with another .DLL and one gets some interesting
    functionality changes, if one knows what one's doing),
    it's not documented and a bit of guesswork may be involved.
    Linux has the ultimate documentation, the source code;
    one can also look for various tutorials on the Web.
    It's not perfect, admittedly, but what is, nowadays?

    More straightforward? Good question. I think so, but
    who am I? One of many Linux advocates, and probably not
    the best one to ask in this area; I'm an old Unix head
    and have been corrupted by the command line. Of course
    what is a command line anyway but a method by which one
    can type things into a computer and get a response back?
    But no, people would rather click on buttons, pull down
    help menus, scroll through pages of online documentation
    using fancy browsers. While there's something to be said
    for all that (it's certainly nice and self-documenting,
    if done right) it's not automatically intuitive,
    especially if one can't read English (what *does* that
    little square-with-the-circle floppy icon mean, *really*?)
    It takes work on the developer's side for both interfaces,
    and Unix is hampered by traditionalism, same as everyone
    else; 'find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 ls -l'[*] isn't the
    most intuitive of command lines, although it can be useful.
    (It long-lists every file underneath the current directory.)

    More driver support? Big deal. The important thing
    to most users is that an OS solution support *their*
    particular hardware (or that they can find hardware
    compatible with it and with their needs, if they're
    building a new system), not that it supports everything
    under the sun. Of course, the more hardware an OS solution
    supports, the more likely it will support one's particular
    hardware, but it's not a given for either Linux or Windows.

    More useful? That's up to the user to decide. I can
    use it. Can you? Can that guy over there get his work
    done? Can she on the bus sit down with a Linux laptop and
    write a comprehensive document (assuming she needs such)?
    Can they play a game together through the WAN? It depends;
    Linux is only part of the puzzle. It wasn't that long
    ago that DOOMParties were in vogue -- using DOS.

    Dumb Operating System -- but people still used it, and
    it worked. (Nowadays, FreeDOS works just as well, and
    maybe even a bit better.)

    > I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.

    You can ask, of course. You will probably get many
    different answers.

    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.

    Antivirus programs are interesting, but highly intrusive,
    AFAIK; most of them will check on every execution of
    an executable (and possibly a script) whether various
    signatures are present in the executable, indicating
    the presence of a virus. One of the more interesting
    aspects of the problem include polymorphic viruses (to get
    around the antivirus's ability to find and neutralize the
    malware), which means the antivirus needs to be bigger and
    more capable to look for that polymorpher; it becomes a
    more complicated problem. All of this keeps the malware
    companies in business but it also means that the user's
    computer is going to be spending cycles looking for threats
    when it could be doing more useful things, like fragging
    opponents in an online game or chewing on a spreadsheet.

    In at least one case, antivirus scans slowed my Windows
    machine down to a crawl, keeping the disk and memory busy,
    as it looked for generally nonexistent threats.

    As for upgrades...what to? Basic computers cannot run Aero
    (at least, last I checked). More expensive computers can,
    but they might cost $800 or so. I'd frankly have to look
    and I don't trust Microsoft's recommendations in this area.

    Presumably this will cease to be a problem. Eventually.

    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    Well, that's an improvement over 0.23% or 0.25%, which is
    what the Wintrools were using as a marketshare figure for
    the longest time. Thank you!

    But of course Linux has limited market share, as Windows is
    better(1), more featureful(2), and more desirable(3) than
    ever before with the introduction of new Microsoft Windows
    Vista(4), which will excite just about everybody(5).

    And then there's the fact that Windows is the competitive(6)
    solution for all(7) of your desktop needs.

    > RL

    [*] The -print0 and -0 are especially ugly, but apparently
    currently necessary; when find and xargs were
    initially developed, spaces and newlines weren't
    taken into consideration. The '-l' would ideally be
    specified using --long-format or some such (currently,
    it's not); the '-type f' would be replaced by
    '-type file' or '-file'; the '.' would be generally
    unnecessary (why does 'ls' list from '.' but 'find'
    need it explicitly?), and various other arcane find
    options such as '-mtime', '-depth', and '-xdev' would
    be replaced by simple English: '--modified-time',
    '--process-children-first' or '--process-files-first',
    '--only-this-device'. Of course one's idea of
    simple English might differ from mine, and there's
    internationalization issues if one goes this route;
    in some respects it's better just to document '-l'
    rather than having '--long-format', '--langes-format'
    (German), and '--format-long' (French).

    (1) For some value of.
    (2) As advertised on TV!
    (3) Because TV can make you drool.
    (4) It's warmed over XP with pretty blue-green backgrounds,
    a rather annoying but highly secure User Administration
    Control (at least, such go the claims) and
    one can now play Shuffle with one's windows. I'm waiting
    to be able to deal the windows out in Solitaire, and
    wonder whether Word will trump Minesweeper or what.
    (5) Except us and many bloggers. But never mind us.
    (6) FSVO.
    (7) We'll buy the rest tomorrow, or embrace, extend, and
    extinguish it out of existence. Yeah!

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
    void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }

  9. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:34:00 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why is
    > it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >
    > RL

    You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you RL?

  10. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:34:00 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.

    1) Linux - technically is the kernel. You may see references to GNU Linux
    which refers to the kernel packaged with the GNU tools to make a usable OS.

    2) Linux systems do pretty much what you want. I've not used MS for any
    productivity for over three years.

    3) virtually anything is better than MS Windows.

    4) BeOS - I have no familiarity with.

    5) DrDOS was another DOS - similar to MS/DOS, but with quite a few
    'advanced' features. I've heard many folks remark that win3.1 ran much
    better over DrDOS than it did over MS/DOS.

    6) Other 'obscure' (to you only) OSs might include the various BSD forks
    and other variants of Unix.

    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.

    Quite frankly, it's much more secure, much more robust, and it works
    better - for one, you don't need to reboot every time you install an
    application. Linux is virtually virus free without the time or expense of
    an antivirus program. In my case, yes it is faster. I like my little
    mini-itx box, and I don't want to upgrade it's hardware - it runs Gentoo
    Linux very effectively.

    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.

    Wrong. More like 10% - at least one recent report showed market
    penetration (actual use) for Linux to be greater than Vista and MAC -
    combined.

    > RL

  11. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Nov 8, 5:34 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >
    > RL

    Linux is an excellent operating system that unfortunately is stuck
    with a community of screwballs, oddballs and freaks all attempting
    like Moonies to convert the unclean Windows users over to their form
    of religion.

    Linux's only real problem is that it has to fit into what is a Windows
    world.
    Apple has the same problem.

    That is not saying Windows is better, for most people it's not.
    But when mega companies have mega investments in software, training
    etc all based and entrenched in Windows, Linux has a very difficult
    uphil battle.
    Quite frankly I'm impressed Linux is doing as well as it is doing.
    No thanks to parasites like Roy Schestowitz though because he is doing
    nothing but damaging Linux because he is the stereotypical 'poaster'
    child for a Linux user.

    This is exactly the image Linux is trying so desperately to lose.

    The smart people already know Roy Schestowitz is being paid to spew
    his garbage to every nook and cranny of the Internet.
    The real question is what side is paying him?

    I'm not on either side, but if I were on the Linux side, he would be
    the last person I would want doing what he is doing.
    It's damage city and any marketing puke will tell you that.

    Now if I were Microsoft.........hmmmm... interesting......A reverse
    troll of the 40th magnitude in effect causing mortal damage to Linux
    while on the sirface pretending to advocate it.

    Give it some thought.

    But getting back to Linux, it's a very good operating system.
    Some use it because it's one hell of a value.
    Others use it because it works better for them than Windows.
    Still others, mostly servers, use it because of security and ease of
    remote admin.

  12. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Nov 8, 2:34 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    > is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >
    > RL

    What's a raylopez99. How is it different from a DFS.

  13. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:34:00 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why is
    > it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    > "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >
    > So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    > afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    > upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >
    > RL

    An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of electronic
    components into something useful (aka a computer). If you use good magic
    (Linux) you will have a highly productive machine capable of easily
    accomplishing many and varied tasks of all degrees of complexity. If you
    use bad magic (windows) you will have nothing but a box of electronic
    junk that can only create the illusion of productivity whereby you spend
    inordinate amounts of time doing the most trivial of tasks which are
    either completely unnecessary or could have been done more easily without
    even using a computer. Unfortunately most people get suckered into using
    the bad magic of windows because "everyone else is using it" hence the
    internet is clogged with messages from these people struggling to do the
    most basic things and praising each other and the black magic of windows
    when they ever get it to actually do anything.

  14. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    Mike wrote:

    > An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of electronic
    > components into something useful (aka a computer). If you use good magic
    > (Linux) you will have a highly productive machine capable of easily
    > accomplishing many and varied tasks of all degrees of complexity. If you
    > use bad magic (windows) you will have nothing but a box of electronic
    > junk that can only create the illusion of productivity whereby you spend
    > inordinate amounts of time doing the most trivial of tasks which are
    > either completely unnecessary or could have been done more easily without
    > even using a computer. Unfortunately most people get suckered into using
    > the bad magic of windows because "everyone else is using it" hence the
    > internet is clogged with messages from these people struggling to do the
    > most basic things and praising each other and the black magic of windows
    > when they ever get it to actually do anything.

    I like the magic analogy... but you're obviously the magician's assistant in
    the pink tutu, 'cause you got it all wrong.

    The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux.
    And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

  15. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    DFS did eloquently scribble:
    > Mike wrote:

    >> An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of electronic
    >> components into something useful (aka a computer). If you use good magic
    >> (Linux) you will have a highly productive machine capable of easily
    >> accomplishing many and varied tasks of all degrees of complexity. If you
    >> use bad magic (windows) you will have nothing but a box of electronic
    >> junk that can only create the illusion of productivity whereby you spend
    >> inordinate amounts of time doing the most trivial of tasks which are
    >> either completely unnecessary or could have been done more easily without
    >> even using a computer. Unfortunately most people get suckered into using
    >> the bad magic of windows because "everyone else is using it" hence the
    >> internet is clogged with messages from these people struggling to do the
    >> most basic things and praising each other and the black magic of windows
    >> when they ever get it to actually do anything.

    > I like the magic analogy... but you're obviously the magician's assistant in
    > the pink tutu, 'cause you got it all wrong.

    > The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux.
    > And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    "There's a sucker born every minute"?
    "You can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all
    of the time?"

  16. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:47:33 -0500, someone purporting to be DFS scrawled
    firmly:

    > The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux.
    > And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    CODSWALLOP! - 90%+ of all web servers are linux + apache. There are reasons
    for that. Guess what THEY are.

    Security, stability, speed, extensibility... ..

  17. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:47:33 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of
    >> electronic components into something useful (aka a computer). If you
    >> use good magic (Linux) you will have a highly productive machine
    >> capable of easily accomplishing many and varied tasks of all degrees of
    >> complexity. If you use bad magic (windows) you will have nothing but a
    >> box of electronic junk that can only create the illusion of
    >> productivity whereby you spend inordinate amounts of time doing the
    >> most trivial of tasks which are either completely unnecessary or could
    >> have been done more easily without even using a computer.
    >> Unfortunately most people get suckered into using the bad magic of
    >> windows because "everyone else is using it" hence the internet is
    >> clogged with messages from these people struggling to do the most basic
    >> things and praising each other and the black magic of windows when they
    >> ever get it to actually do anything.

    > I like the magic analogy... but you're obviously the magician's
    > assistant in the pink tutu, 'cause you got it all wrong.
    >
    > The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not
    > Linux. And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    .... illegally maintained monopoly.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    bobbie wrote:

    >What's a raylopez99. How is it different from a DFS.

    And why are they both not in everyone's bozo bin?

  19. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    DFS wrote:

    > a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux

    Oh, really?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Zen Master at Wendy's: "Make me one with everything."

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  20. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    Oddity writes:

    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:47:33 -0500, someone purporting to be DFS scrawled
    > firmly:
    >
    >> The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux.
    >> And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    > CODSWALLOP! - 90%+ of all web servers are linux + apache. There are reasons
    > for that. Guess what THEY are.
    >
    > Security, stability, speed, extensibility... ..

    Wrong. Totally wrong. About the % that is.

    --
    You will be divorced within a year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast