What's Linux anyway? - Linux

This is a discussion on What's Linux anyway? - Linux ; spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote: > DFS did eloquently scribble: >> Mike wrote: > >>> An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of electronic >>> components into something useful (aka a computer). If you use good magic >>> (Linux) ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > DFS did eloquently scribble:
    >> Mike wrote:

    >>> An operating system is some magic that can transform a box of electronic
    >>> components into something useful (aka a computer). If you use good magic
    >>> (Linux) you will have a highly productive machine capable of easily
    >>> accomplishing many and varied tasks of all degrees of complexity. If
    >>> you use bad magic (windows) you will have nothing but a box of
    >>> electronic junk that can only create the illusion of productivity
    >>> whereby you spend inordinate amounts of time doing the most trivial of
    >>> tasks which are either completely unnecessary or could have been done
    >>> more easily without
    >>> even using a computer. Unfortunately most people get suckered into
    >>> using the bad magic of windows because "everyone else is using it" hence
    >>> the internet is clogged with messages from these people struggling to do
    >>> the most basic things and praising each other and the black magic of
    >>> windows when they ever get it to actually do anything.

    >> I like the magic analogy... but you're obviously the magician's assistant
    >> in the pink tutu, 'cause you got it all wrong.

    >> The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not Linux.
    >> And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    > "There's a sucker born every minute"?
    > "You can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all
    > of the time?"

    And "Never give a sucker an even break" In other words: once M$ locks them
    in, keep 'em locked in.

    --
    Kubuntu 7.10 amd64

  2. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, ball.****.the.plumber@gmail.com

    wrote
    on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:06:14 -0800
    <1194573974.764877.172560@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com>:
    > On Nov 8, 5:34 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    >> is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    >> is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    >> "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >>
    >> So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    >> afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    >> upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >>
    >> Anybody?
    >>
    >> No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >>
    >> RL

    > Linux is an excellent operating system that unfortunately is stuck
    > with a community of screwballs, oddballs and freaks all attempting
    > like Moonies to convert the unclean Windows users over to their form
    > of religion.

    Hey! If you're going to get with the program, you need
    to reread the Microsoft Talking Points. :-P

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  3. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:50:58 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Oddity writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:47:33 -0500, someone purporting to be DFS
    >> scrawled firmly:
    >>
    >>> The world's desktops and a majority of servers run on Windows, not
    >>> Linux. And there's a reason for that. Guess what it is?

    >> CODSWALLOP! - 90%+ of all web servers are linux + apache. There are
    >> reasons for that. Guess what THEY are.
    >>
    >> Security, stability, speed, extensibility... ..

    > Wrong. Totally wrong. About the % that is.

    Yeah, it is a shame how an illegally maintained monopoly can be leveraged.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    ****tard for long?

    --
    PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.

  5. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    > is

    Linux... the road bump on the road to Microsofts effort of world domination.

    That's what it is.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  6. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, A Nalorafice

    wrote
    on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:55:40 -0500
    <4734e5b3$0$19740$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > On 2007-11-08 17:34:00 -0500, raylopez99 said:
    >
    >> In all this excitement I realized that I don't even know what Linux
    >> is--what is Linux? An operating system right? What does it do? Why
    >> is it better than WIndows? I guess I can ask what is "BeOS", what is
    >> "DrDos", what is a host of other obscure OSes.
    >>
    >> So why Linux? Just because it's free? Free of viruses? You that
    >> afraid of a virus? You buy an antivirus program. Is it faster? You
    >> upgrade your hardware if your OS is too slow.
    >>
    >> Anybody?
    >>
    >> No wonder it's got 1% or less market share.
    >>
    >> RL

    > ****tard for long?

    RayLopez's been around for awhile. If he's the same
    raylopez that was wandering about in sci.environment,
    I'd not give him too much credibility. :-)

    As for market share...the best readings I have suggest that
    Linux and MacOSX are neck and neck, or that Linux has a
    slight edge over Apple's offerings -- about 5% or 6%, on
    the desktop. Servers look to be an interesting quagmire
    for Apache, and we'll see what happens as IIS continues
    its upward trend (for how long?), along with lighttpd and
    Google, eating into Apache's share of the servers.

    The problem on the server side is that it's not clear
    those Apache installations are Linux, Solaris, or even
    Windows (yes, it is possible, but not horribly useful
    production-wise).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  7. Re: What's Linux anyway?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > The problem on the server side is that it's not clear those Apache installations are Linux, Solaris, or even Windows (yes, it is possible, but not horribly useful production-wise).

    Would a Netcroft survey do ..

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

    "Apart from the large IT companies that are actively promoting Open
    Source software like IBM, HP, Sun, and Oracle, about 86% of Fortune 1000
    companies are deploying or testing FLOSS"

    http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic....70828132340846

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2