[News] Apple's Broken Release Opens Doors to Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Apple's Broken Release Opens Doors to Linux? - Linux ; Rotten Apple: Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Opinion: Apple's latest operating system release may be the most troublesome | since Apple switched from its System operating system to the BSD Unix and | Mach-based Mac OS X. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2212976,00.asp Apple ...

  1. [News] Apple's Broken Release Opens Doors to Linux?

    Rotten Apple: Leopard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opinion: Apple's latest operating system release may be the most troublesome
    | since Apple switched from its System operating system to the BSD Unix and
    | Mach-based Mac OS X.
    `----

    Apple fixes some Leopard Time Machine bugs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Scores of users flooded the Apple site complaining that the Time Machine
    | stalled after saving as little as 10GB or as much as 90 per cent of the
    | entire data set.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rd-timemachine

    Two proprietary software vendors are having the same issues. Suddenly Linux
    seems like a good idea.

    Related:

    Massive Data Loss Bug in Leopard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Aaaand … poof!
    |
    | The directory on our Desktop is now gone. The directory shown in the C$ mount
    | will only contain files that were copied entirely before the connection was
    | disrupted, but nothing more (in the demonstration case, there’s only one file
    | in "test", so nothing was copied successfully).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Where’s the rest of our data?
    |
    | Apple, please FTFF already. This is unacceptable.
    `----

    http://tomkarpik.com/articles/massiv...ug-in-leopard/

    Leopard early adopters suffer for the rest of us

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mac OS X 10.5.1 will likely arrive around Thanksgiving with fixes for most of
    | the problems encountered by the brave early adopters.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9809571-37.html

    Some Leopard upgraders see 'blue screen of death'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A significant number of Mac owners upgrading to Leopard on Friday reported
    | that after installing the new operating system, their machines locked up,
    | showing only an interminable -- and very Windows-like -- "blue screen of
    | death." *
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9044378

    New iMacs plagued by interface freezing issues

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A growing number of users have reported that Apple's aluminum all-in-one
    | computers suffer from a flaw that locks up the interface, rendering the
    | system all but inert until a reboot. *
    `----

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ng_issues.html

    Apple Arrogance Unleashed!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the only problem with Apple is that it has no gratitude. Or humility. Or
    | generosity. Or manners.
    |
    | I'm a big fan of Apple products. But there's no escaping the fact that Apple
    | has always been, well, arrogant. Which was fine -- their superiority complex
    | has always been both partially deserved and one of the company's motivations
    | to strive for better things. But in the past few months, the company seems to
    | have crossed some kind of invisible line, now brazenly pissing off not just
    | competitors, but its most devoted fans, closest partners and industry
    | supporters. * * *
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/cne...le.php/3703216

  2. Re: [News] Apple's Broken Release Opens Doors to Linux?

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:12:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Rotten Apple: Leopard

    .... no, it isn't.

    (snip)
    --
    Rick

  3. Re: [News] Apple's Broken Release Opens Doors to Linux?

    ____/ Rick on Thursday 08 November 2007 02:13 : \____

    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:12:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Rotten Apple: Leopard

    > ... no, it isn't.
    >
    > (snip)

    I don't agree either, but it's a pun. In line with 'advantages of Linux
    compared to other operating systems', be it resolved that all operating
    systems have bugs, including show-stoppers.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"