[News] Kubuntu 7.10 Impresses Reviewer, Works Very Well - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Kubuntu 7.10 Impresses Reviewer, Works Very Well - Linux ; Kubuntu Gutsy [7.10 Review] ,----[ Quote ] | Kubuntu Gutsy is an exceptionally polished KDE based distribution, easily | equal with the enterprise-oriented SuSE Linux in the workplace and possibly a | simpler and easier experience for the home user. ...

  1. [News] Kubuntu 7.10 Impresses Reviewer, Works Very Well

    Kubuntu Gutsy [7.10 Review]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Kubuntu Gutsy is an exceptionally polished KDE based distribution, easily
    | equal with the enterprise-oriented SuSE Linux in the workplace and possibly a
    | simpler and easier experience for the home user. All aspects of laptop usage
    | excel - even suspend to ram is working on my Vaio TX - and the application
    | feature set covers all bases. Congratulations Kubuntu devs - you’ve done it
    | again, and it just gets better.
    `----

    http://canllaith.org/?page_id=48

    Related:

    Ubuntu: Just how popular is it?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is no doubt that Ubuntu’s popularity has grown dramatically over the
    | past few years, but just how popular is Ubuntu? How many people have ever
    | heard of Ubuntu? How many people visit the Ubuntu site each month? How many
    | people have tried Ubuntu, and more importantly, how many people are actually
    | using it? * *
    `----

    http://www.starryhope.com/linux/ubun...popular-is-it/

    Linux is Poised to Take Over the World

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the biggest complaints I hear from computer users is how
    | quickly their computers are made obsolete, either by the introduction
    | of new software, demanding faster processors, more memory and better
    | video cards, or else a new version of an operating system, demanding
    | the same things. Linux, because of so many varieties, can be made
    | into a perfect fit for almost any computer, no matter how old.
    `----

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...the_world.html

    Change is maddeningly inevitable

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To broaden or not broaden the GNU/Linux user base. This topic has
    | generated a ton of discussion and emotion within the community.
    | Whatever your particular stance, one thing is guaranteed. Change!
    | And human beings are typically adverse to Change!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | More and more people are drawn to GNU/Linux and free software in
    | order to access and participate in our online, global culture.
    | The user base is ALREADY broadening.
    |
    | Second, I believe the GNU/Linux and free software community has
    | an ethical responsibility to expand the user base. We must take
    | advantage of the decreasing hardware costs coupled with free
    | software to make computing technologies more available to poorer
    | nations/individuals. Imagine the boost some schools could receive
    | with the gift of a single computer loaded with KDE's Edutainment
    | package and internet access to Wikipedia.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...gly_inevitable

  2. Re: [News] Kubuntu 7.10 Impresses Reviewer, Works Very Well

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Kubuntu Gutsy [7.10 Review]
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Kubuntu Gutsy is an exceptionally polished KDE based distribution, easily
    > | equal with the enterprise-oriented SuSE Linux in the workplace and possibly a
    > | simpler and easier experience for the home user. All aspects of laptop usage
    > | excel - even suspend to ram is working on my Vaio TX - and the application
    > | feature set covers all bases. Congratulations Kubuntu devs - you’ve done it
    > | again, and it just gets better.
    > `----
    >
    > http://canllaith.org/?page_id=48

    I fully agree with this, Kubuntu has replaced openSUSE on my GNU/Linux
    boxes. It's fast, even on my outdated 2002 Dell OptiPlex 240 GX with
    only 384 MiB RAM, Pentium IV 1.70 CPU and nVIDIA Geoforce 2 MX400 (64
    MiB VRAM) gpu.

    Currently however I use Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and added KDE and
    Kubuntu-desktop.

    If I want eyecandy I use KDE with Compiz-Fusion and Superkaramba, if I
    need a more responsive environment (for example to play FPS games) I use
    GNOME.

    However in fact It doesn't really matter what distribution you actually use.

    One great thing about most distributions is the package management. DEB
    based distributions have apt-get, synaptic and Adept. RPM based
    distributions have YUM. In most cases "dependency hell" isn't any longer
    an issue.

    This is one of the things I love most about GNU/Linux, you are able to
    install software and even drivers, and be productive at the same time.
    On Windows for example you have to quit what you where doing while
    installing a software package, in many cases you also have to reboot the
    machine, which is pretty inefficient.

    Beside that, try to install Windows XP on a second hand machine. You
    will have to search the web for drivers, which can take quite some time,
    especially if you don't know what hardware is included. On GNU/Linux in
    general this isn't an issue at all.

    This is what I've seen the last five years. Advanced users are
    efficiency freaks and go for GNU/Linux, the Average Joe users stick with
    Microsft, because they are clueless.

    Do I *love* GNU/Linux? Yup!
    Am I a "Linux Zealot"? Who cares, you can always ignore it :-)

    Cheers
    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com