[News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux - Linux ; Linux PC vendor to track pirate Windows installations ,----[ Quote ] | Everex will know if you install a dodgy Microsoft OS | | [...] | | There, as part of a crackdown on infringing copies of Microsoft | Windows, ...

  1. [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

    Linux PC vendor to track pirate Windows installations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everex will know if you install a dodgy Microsoft OS
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | There, as part of a crackdown on infringing copies of Microsoft
    | Windows, "regulatory agencies are checking to see that Linux actually works,"
    | he said.
    |
    | Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth added, "We can't tell the difference between
    | an Ubuntu user who installed for themselves or one who used a system from an
    | OEM."
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=6001

    Related:

    Don't Buy Linux From Wal-Mart

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From a hardware point of view, the gPC is a mini-tower system that comes with
    | a Via C7-D low-power x86 clone running at 1.5GHz. Sounds pretty snazzy for
    | only $199, doesn't it?
    |
    | The reality is that you can to do better.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3708946

    Wal-Mart Starts Selling Linux PCs for $198

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Almost the Google PC: Everex gPC available at Wal-Mart
    |
    | On Thursday, WalMart begins selling the Everex Green gPC TC2502, a $198,
    | low-power, Linux-based PC designed primarily for running Web 2.0
    | applications.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-980...g=2547-1_3-0-5

  2. Re: [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Linux PC vendor to track pirate Windows installations
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Everex will know if you install a dodgy Microsoft OS
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| There, as part of a crackdown on infringing copies of Microsoft
    >| Windows, "regulatory agencies are checking to see that Linux actually works,"
    >| he said.
    >|
    >| Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth added, "We can't tell the difference between
    >| an Ubuntu user who installed for themselves or one who used a system from an
    >| OEM."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=6001

    Whilst I'm 100% opposed to anyone performing any copyright violation, I
    cannot really see why the machine vendor should be Microsoft's police
    either.

    I wonder how many people who buy these machines are capable of
    installing a Microsoft operating system? It's incredibly difficult to
    do so, this is not like installing ubuntu or fedora or similar.

  3. Re: [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > I wonder how many people who buy these machines are capable of
    > installing a Microsoft operating system? It's incredibly difficult to
    > do so, this is not like installing ubuntu or fedora or similar.

    When was the last time you installed a Microsoft operating system?

    --
    "There's no such thing as intellectual property." - Mark Kent

  4. Re: [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

    ____/ Sharyn Wood on Saturday 10 November 2007 23:59 : \____

    > Microsoft operating system?

    *plonk*

    Hi, nymshifting troll.

  5. Re: [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

    Sharyn Wood espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >

    > > I wonder how many people who buy these machines are capable of
    > > installing a Microsoft operating system? It's incredibly difficult to
    > > do so, this is not like installing ubuntu or fedora or similar.
    > >

    > When was the last time you installed a Microsoft operating system?

    Hi Gary.