Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Linux ; Author: crayzie Tech Level: high Ownership: 1 month to 1 year Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM Subject: wah wah wah Rating: 5 Eggs Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic experience. IF ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Author: crayzie
    Tech Level: high
    Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    Subject: wah wah wah
    Rating: 5 Eggs

    Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it. I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ting=-1&Page=3

    Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    experience".

  2. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >Author: crayzie
    >Tech Level: high
    >Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    >Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    >Subject: wah wah wah
    >Rating: 5 Eggs
    >
    >Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    >experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    >dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    >if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    >intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it.

    Just to run the OS.
    But what if you actually want to do something with your box?

    >I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    >dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    >Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    Uhu. And this is just for starters.

    >Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >experience".

    Depends on how screwed up your brain is.
    Linux is much leaner and it is an open source.
    So you can fix ANY app if you don't like some things in it,
    and you can see EXACTLY what that app does.
    Things like going out on the Internet without even informing you,
    and downloading/uploading anything they want.

    Just wait. You'll see what's forthcoming.

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.7 has been released.

    * Bug fixes and improvements.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  3. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    bob wrote:

    > Well when someone is stupid enough to post a user review from a
    > retailer as if it's something meaningful

    It's more than meaningful. Those reviews are posted by system builders and
    techies who bought Vista aftermarket and paid retail prices.

    Speaking of which, how much did you pay for your Linux distro?

    > all one can do is respond in kind.

    In other words, you searched high and low and couldn't find anyone who
    described Linux as a *fantastic experience*. But but but... cola
    "advocates" tell me Vista sux and Linux is so much better? I don't get it.

  4. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    [snips]

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:43:01 +0000, bob wrote:

    >> Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >> experience".

    > Well when someone is stupid enough to post a user review from a retailer
    > as if it's something meaningful, all one can do is respond in kind.

    There's that, but not even DFS can be so incredibly oblivious as to
    overlook the fact that there's a whole pack of Linux users, right here,
    who like Linux a whole heck of a lot - that is to say, for them, it *is*
    a fantastic experience.

    Now I'll grant, they don't tend to say this _explicitly_ a lot, and
    there's a reason for it: we take such an experience for granted. It is
    the norm, not the exception. As the norm, it hardly needs comment.

    > "Takes a chunk out of pretty much every item in your computer. It takes
    > a huge amount of HDD space (About 10GB)

    10 GB? No, seriously, 10 GB?

    /dev/sda1 ( root on this here machine ) is 7.5GB. The machine has the OS,
    obviously. Office suite. Mono IDE. C++ IDE. Something like four
    different anti-spam (client-side) packages. Gimp. Firefox. Konq and the
    other typical KDE tools. OpenClipart. Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, C, C++.
    Personal finance apps. Personal information management. Java. Plotting
    tools. Two DB servers. Two virtual machine managers. All sorts of media
    tools, including one which "fingerprints" mp3 files and looks up the info
    on the tune based on the fingerprint. File/print server. Caching news
    server. Caching proxy server. Umpteen security tools. Project
    Management software. Assorted dictionaries and spell-checking tools. A
    web server. An entire groupware system. Umpteen more goodies too numerous
    to note.

    That's on a 7,.5GB partition - but there's 2 GB free.

    What the hell does Vista bundle that requires 10GB? Must be a pretty
    stunning array of really useful products - office apps, at the very least.

  5. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >bob wrote:
    >
    >> Well when someone is stupid enough to post a user review from a
    >> retailer as if it's something meaningful

    >It's more than meaningful. Those reviews are posted by system builders and
    >techies who bought Vista aftermarket and paid retail prices.

    I would not pay a penny for that bloatware that requires you
    to upgdade your box by at least factor of 5, just to run OS.

    This is such a humongous scam, it isn't even funny.

    >Speaking of which, how much did you pay for your Linux distro?

    Not only that, but with Linux you have sources and can modify
    or debug any app. With Windoze, you don't even know what your
    box is doing because almost any network related apps goes out
    on line and uploads/downloads ANYTHING it wants, and you have
    no slightest idea what it is because nothing is ever shown to
    you.

    Windoze is custom tailored to the NWO model of TOTAL control
    over all the mortals.

    Simple as that.

    As of this moment, Linux is taking about 15% of the market share,
    at least from what I am seeing on the web site.
    Unless Linux takes 85% of the market share, we are all doomed,
    doomed to oblivion in this raging NWO madness and global warfare
    unlimited.

    >> all one can do is respond in kind.

    >In other words, you searched high and low and couldn't find anyone who
    >described Linux as a *fantastic experience*. But but but... cola
    >"advocates" tell me Vista sux and Linux is so much better? I don't get it.

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.

    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.8 has been released.

    * Several nice improvements and bug fixes.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  6. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Which means you run complete **** hardware (what a surprise!)...

    > This is such a humongous scam, it isn't even funny.

    .... and you're broke (shocking!).

    > Not only that, but with Linux you have sources and can modify
    > or debug any app.

    You can, eh? Recently I ran a KDE session then a Gnome session. When I
    next loaded KDE, all the System menu entries were suddenly moved into a new
    System Tools entry. When I used the KDE Menu Editor to delete the now-empty
    System entry, it deleted the System Tools entry, too. Tell me exactly how
    to fix all that slop.

    While you're at it, tell me exactly how to fix this
    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/..._exception.png

    http://www.tamos.com/products/commview/

    > Windoze is custom tailored to the NWO model of TOTAL control
    > over all the mortals.
    >
    > Simple as that.
    >
    > As of this moment, Linux is taking about 15% of the market share,
    > at least from what I am seeing on the web site.
    > Unless Linux takes 85% of the market share, we are all doomed,
    > doomed to oblivion in this raging NWO madness and global warfare
    > unlimited.

    cola does catch some weird ones.

  7. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    DFS wrote:

    > You can, eh? *Recently I ran a KDE session then a Gnome session. *When I
    > next loaded KDE, all the System menu entries were suddenly moved into a
    > new System Tools entry. *When I used the KDE Menu Editor to delete the
    > now-empty System entry, it deleted the System Tools entry, too. *Tell me
    > exactly how to fix all that slop.

    How to fix it? FFS... you only need to run ONE DE... not 2.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > In other words, you searched high and low and couldn't find anyone who
    > described Linux as a *fantastic experience*.

    He obviously didn't find my posts. Overall, I find Linux to be a
    fantastic experience, and a very good environment for everything I want
    to do with a computer.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Almond wrote:
    > In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >> Author: crayzie
    >> Tech Level: high
    >> Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    >> Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    >> Subject: wah wah wah
    >> Rating: 5 Eggs
    >>
    >> Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    >> experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    >> dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    >> if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    >> intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it.

    > Just to run the OS.
    > But what if you actually want to do something with your box?
    >
    >> I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    >> dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    >> Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    > Uhu. And this is just for starters.
    >
    >> Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >> experience".

    > Depends on how screwed up your brain is.
    > Linux is much leaner and it is an open source.
    > So you can fix ANY app if you don't like some things in it,
    > and you can see EXACTLY what that app does.
    > Things like going out on the Internet without even informing you,
    > and downloading/uploading anything they want.
    >
    > Just wait. You'll see what's forthcoming.

    If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use "sneakernet" to get files
    in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file
    server, but it cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have been setting up
    networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite
    name for Vista, just pain will not work.

  10. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Almond wrote:
    > In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >> Author: crayzie
    >> Tech Level: high
    >> Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    >> Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    >> Subject: wah wah wah
    >> Rating: 5 Eggs
    >>
    >> Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    >> experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    >> dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    >> if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    >> intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it.

    > Just to run the OS.
    > But what if you actually want to do something with your box?
    >
    >> I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    >> dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    >> Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    > Uhu. And this is just for starters.
    >
    >> Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >> experience".

    > Depends on how screwed up your brain is.
    > Linux is much leaner and it is an open source.
    > So you can fix ANY app if you don't like some things in it,
    > and you can see EXACTLY what that app does.
    > Things like going out on the Internet without even informing you,
    > and downloading/uploading anything they want.
    >
    > Just wait. You'll see what's forthcoming.

    If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use "sneakernet" to get files
    in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file
    server, but it cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have been setting up
    networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite
    name for Vista, just pain will not work.

  11. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    but...

    Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    by default?

    I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.

    ....though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  12. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    but...

    Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    by default?

    I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.

    ....though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  13. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    >> If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    >> "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    >> only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    >> cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    > Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    > but...
    >
    > Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    > configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Yes - the XP machine can read and write the Samba shares.

    > Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    > enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    > by default?

    Yes.

    > I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    > has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >
    > ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The really funny thing is that
    when the Vista system first came, it connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to
    move a bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on the XP machine, but
    only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was exporting a Samba share for the printer that is
    connected to the XP computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus we are
    forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly akin to the days when we didn't have
    networks and moved files around with floppies.

    One other interesting situation. We have a Canon 1220U scanner that has worked for years on XP. It
    doesn't work on Vista - there are no drivers. When I plugged it into my openSUSE 10.3 system and
    installed sane, it just worked.

    I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had to refute the claim of a
    "fantastic experience".

    Larry

  14. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    >> If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    >> "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    >> only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    >> cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    > Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    > but...
    >
    > Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    > configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Yes - the XP machine can read and write the Samba shares.

    > Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    > enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    > by default?

    Yes.

    > I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    > has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >
    > ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The really funny thing is that
    when the Vista system first came, it connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to
    move a bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on the XP machine, but
    only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was exporting a Samba share for the printer that is
    connected to the XP computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus we are
    forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly akin to the days when we didn't have
    networks and moved files around with floppies.

    One other interesting situation. We have a Canon 1220U scanner that has worked for years on XP. It
    doesn't work on Vista - there are no drivers. When I plugged it into my openSUSE 10.3 system and
    installed sane, it just worked.

    I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had to refute the claim of a
    "fantastic experience".

    Larry

  15. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> You can, eh? *Recently I ran a KDE session then a Gnome session. *When I
    >> next loaded KDE, all the System menu entries were suddenly moved into a
    >> new System Tools entry. *When I used the KDE Menu Editor to delete the
    >> now-empty System entry, it deleted the System Tools entry, too. *Tell me
    >> exactly how to fix all that slop.

    > How to fix it? FFS... you only need to run ONE DE... not 2.

    heh!

    Shearman, you're turning out to be a source of some real howlers.

    First you insist over and over that Linux is perfect. Then you say the
    solution to the crapware is... just don't use the crapware.

    Funny!

    ps several cola dumbasses had a fit when MS said the way to work around
    the 'begin bug' in Outlook Express was to not start your first sentence
    with two spaces. Now here comes Shearman with a solution that's even more
    lame.

  16. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have
    > been setting up networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but
    > "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite name for Vista, just pain
    > will not work.

    Well, we have 2 Vista machines in our corporate network, which is using
    an Ubuntu Server with Samba 3. And basically it acts as a PDC, and tbh,
    the vista machines can connect with it, use the shares and also the
    printers in the network (shared through samba via cups).
    So the connectivity of vista with samba isn't something to complain
    about, from my side that is.
    Having said that, there are still plenty of things to complain about in
    vista, such as the ridiculous hardware demands, the annoying popups
    asking you whether or not you're sure you want to wipe your arse, the
    way vista handles updates, software incompatibilities, lack of proper
    drivers, security on some resources (for example, I need to start every
    program that uses db2 odbc as admin or else I can't connect with a
    database), etc, etc...

    *Embraces his Ubuntu Workstation*

    -R-

  17. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have
    > been setting up networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but
    > "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite name for Vista, just pain
    > will not work.

    Well, we have 2 Vista machines in our corporate network, which is using
    an Ubuntu Server with Samba 3. And basically it acts as a PDC, and tbh,
    the vista machines can connect with it, use the shares and also the
    printers in the network (shared through samba via cups).
    So the connectivity of vista with samba isn't something to complain
    about, from my side that is.
    Having said that, there are still plenty of things to complain about in
    vista, such as the ridiculous hardware demands, the annoying popups
    asking you whether or not you're sure you want to wipe your arse, the
    way vista handles updates, software incompatibilities, lack of proper
    drivers, security on some resources (for example, I need to start every
    program that uses db2 odbc as admin or else I can't connect with a
    database), etc, etc...

    *Embraces his Ubuntu Workstation*

    -R-

  18. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 03:57:20 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that
    >> MS has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >>
    >> ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    > It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The
    > really funny thing is that when the Vista system first came, it
    > connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to move a
    > bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on
    > the XP machine, but only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was
    > exporting a Samba share for the printer that is connected to the XP
    > computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus
    > we are forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly
    > akin to the days when we didn't have networks and moved files around
    > with floppies.
    >
    > I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had
    > to refute the claim of a "fantastic experience".

    That sucks.

    I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    it's a fresh install.

    Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    if it fixes your issue.

    Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  19. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 03:57:20 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that
    >> MS has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >>
    >> ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    > It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The
    > really funny thing is that when the Vista system first came, it
    > connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to move a
    > bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on
    > the XP machine, but only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was
    > exporting a Samba share for the printer that is connected to the XP
    > computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus
    > we are forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly
    > akin to the days when we didn't have networks and moved files around
    > with floppies.
    >
    > I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had
    > to refute the claim of a "fantastic experience".

    That sucks.

    I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    it's a fresh install.

    Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    if it fixes your issue.

    Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  20. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Nov 8, 11:30 am, Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files
    > in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not only can it not see the SMB/CIFS
    > shares from my file
    > server, but it cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I
    > have been setting up
    > networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but "Windows Millenium 2007",
    > which is my favorite
    > name for Vista, just pain will not work.

    You seem to be the only person having this problem. That suggests that
    it may not be Vista's fault. I have quite a bit of experience with
    Vista myself and know quite a few other people who also have quite a
    bit of experience. None of them have had any issues with Vista not
    seeing shares or printers.

    On the flip side, an awful lot of people are having problems with
    atrociously slow network performance with Vista. That does seem to be
    Vista's fault. Transfers that should take 3 minutes take 15 minutes,
    or in some cases, say they will take hours but then mysteriously stop.
    Patches have improved this a bit (the hours and then stop seem to be
    gone) but it's still a major problem.

    Other than that one issue (admittedly, for some people it's a
    showstopper), and sporadic reports of generally lower performance than
    XP on low-end hardware, I don't know of any significant reproducible
    issues with Vista.

    That said, I can't think of any significant advantage of Vista over XP
    either. Flipping Windows in 3D is cool.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast