Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Linux

This is a discussion on Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Linux ; Ivan Marsh wrote: > > That sucks. > > I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with > Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

  1. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > That sucks.
    >
    > I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    > Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    > occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    > and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    > to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    > it's a fresh install.
    >
    > Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    > if it fixes your issue.
    >
    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    The network on the Vista machine can get to the Internet, and to the local network for a network
    printer. It just cannot see CIFS or SMB shares from either Samba or XP. As I said, Windows Millenium
    2007.

    Larry

  2. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > That sucks.
    >
    > I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    > Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    > occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    > and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    > to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    > it's a fresh install.
    >
    > Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    > if it fixes your issue.
    >
    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    The network on the Vista machine can get to the Internet, and to the local network for a network
    printer. It just cannot see CIFS or SMB shares from either Samba or XP. As I said, Windows Millenium
    2007.

    Larry

  3. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    MS has been hobbled by all the legacy code that they can't touch: the
    programmers that "borrowed" and wrote the early code have all long gone
    (mostly to FOSS projects) and the rest of the "programmers" at MS are the
    type that believe that Visual Basic is a programming language!

    Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    whenever you try to play a CD or DVD - you might be trying to file-share
    it! MS assume that ever user is a "criminal".

    C.

  4. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    MS has been hobbled by all the legacy code that they can't touch: the
    programmers that "borrowed" and wrote the early code have all long gone
    (mostly to FOSS projects) and the rest of the "programmers" at MS are the
    type that believe that Visual Basic is a programming language!

    Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    whenever you try to play a CD or DVD - you might be trying to file-share
    it! MS assume that ever user is a "criminal".

    C.

  5. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 GMT, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    > They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    > stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    I think you need to read this:

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357

  6. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    > They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    > stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    A small point here is they didn't steal it -- taking code into a
    closed project is OK under the BSD license. One of the major reasons
    companies like Microsoft call that license more friendly to companies,
    and why everything I release is GPL or LGPL.

  7. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357

    $strings C:\WINNT\System32\nslookup.exe

    '@(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.'

    If it was completly rewritten from scratch, they why the copyright
    notice. Even so, all they did was clone BSD tcp/ip ..

  8. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter writes:
    >
    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    >> They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course
    >> they stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    > A small point here is they didn't steal it -- taking code into a
    > closed project is OK under the BSD license. One of the major reasons
    > companies like Microsoft call that license more friendly to companies,
    > and why everything I release is GPL or LGPL.

    The REALLY stunning point here is... with the hundreds, perhaps thousands,
    of paid professional programmers that they have employed, they were unable
    to write their own tcpip stack. I find it awkward that they had to "borrow"
    free source code to push their proprietary crapware back in the 80's. Now,
    in year 2007 and vista on the market shelf... they STILL use that
    old "borrowed" source code.

    What's wrong with this picture?

    "MICROSOFT... WE SURVIVE BY USING FREE SOURCE CODE IN OUR MAINLINE PROJECTS"
    "MICROSOFT... IF WE CAN'T WRITE... WE BORROW IT!"
    "MICROSOFT... BUYING INNOVATION WHERE EVER WE FIND IT FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS"

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  9. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 GMT, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    >> They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course
    >> they stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    > I think you need to read this:
    >
    > http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357

    That guy is on drugs or something... a simple google for "OSI TP4 STREAMS
    transport" returns

    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,460 for OSI TP4 STREAMS transport . (0.26 seconds)

    Not even an optimize search request... But then again, maybe he was using
    the Microsoft search engine. Yes, the must be the reason he can't find
    anything...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  10. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:27:27 +0000, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357

    > $strings C:\WINNT\System32\nslookup.exe
    >
    > '@(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.'
    >
    > If it was completly rewritten from scratch, they why the copyright
    > notice. Even so, all they did was clone BSD tcp/ip ..

    Read teh ****ing article you're linking to, moron. It explains.

  11. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:57:31 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter writes:

    >>> They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course
    >>> they stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    >> A small point here is they didn't steal it -- taking code into a
    >> closed project is OK under the BSD license. One of the major reasons
    >> companies like Microsoft call that license more friendly to companies,
    >> and why everything I release is GPL or LGPL.

    > The REALLY stunning point here is... with the hundreds, perhaps thousands,
    > of paid professional programmers that they have employed, they were unable
    > to write their own tcpip stack. I find it awkward that they had to "borrow"
    > free source code to push their proprietary crapware back in the 80's. Now,
    > in year 2007 and vista on the market shelf... they STILL use that
    > old "borrowed" source code.
    >
    > What's wrong with this picture?
    >
    > "MICROSOFT... WE SURVIVE BY USING FREE SOURCE CODE IN OUR MAINLINE PROJECTS"
    > "MICROSOFT... IF WE CAN'T WRITE... WE BORROW IT!"
    > "MICROSOFT... BUYING INNOVATION WHERE EVER WE FIND IT FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS"

    What's wrong with this picture is that you're completely wrong.

  12. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:10:48 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course
    >>> they stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    >> I think you need to read this:
    >>
    >> http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357

    > That guy is on drugs or something... a simple google for "OSI TP4 STREAMS
    > transport" returns
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 2,460 for OSI TP4 STREAMS transport . (0.26 seconds)
    >
    > Not even an optimize search request... But then again, maybe he was using
    > the Microsoft search engine. Yes, the must be the reason he can't find
    > anything...

    I'm not sure what you're referring to. What's your point?

  13. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:57:31 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

    >>> A small point here is they didn't steal it -- taking code into a
    >>> closed project is OK under the BSD license. One of the major reasons
    >>> companies like Microsoft call that license more friendly to companies,
    >>> and why everything I release is GPL or LGPL.

    >> The REALLY stunning point here is... with the hundreds, perhaps
    >> thousands, of paid professional programmers that they have employed, they
    >> were unable to write their own tcpip stack. I find it awkward that they
    >> had to "borrow" free source code to push their proprietary crapware back
    >> in the 80's. Now, in year 2007 and vista on the market shelf... they
    >> STILL use that old "borrowed" source code.
    >>
    >> What's wrong with this picture?
    >>
    >> "MICROSOFT... WE SURVIVE BY USING FREE SOURCE CODE IN OUR MAINLINE
    >> PROJECTS" "MICROSOFT... IF WE CAN'T WRITE... WE BORROW IT!"
    >> "MICROSOFT... BUYING INNOVATION WHERE EVER WE FIND IT FOR THE LAST 20
    >> YEARS"

    "MICROSOFT... IF WE CAN'T WRITE... WE STEAL IT!"

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  14. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Not even an optimize search request... But then again, maybe he was using
    > the Microsoft search engine.

    http://iuron.com/search/ The Ultimate (Joke) in Search

  15. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > "MICROSOFT... IF WE CAN'T WRITE... WE STEAL IT!"

    Ubuntu: "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we
    can (or will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."

  16. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    wrote:

    >Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    >They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    >stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!
    >
    >MS has been hobbled by all the legacy code that they can't touch: the
    >programmers that "borrowed" and wrote the early code have all long gone
    >(mostly to FOSS projects) and the rest of the "programmers" at MS are the
    >type that believe that Visual Basic is a programming language!
    >
    >Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    >whenever you try to play a CD or DVD - you might be trying to file-share
    >it! MS assume that ever user is a "criminal".
    >
    >C.

    How is that irony for you

    Microsoft steals BSD Stack,
    Programers move onto FOSS projects.

  17. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    [snips]

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    > whenever you try to play a CD or DVD

    Are you serious? Simply playing a video invokes _intentionally_ limited
    networking support?

  18. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > [snips]
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    >> whenever you try to play a CD or DVD

    > Are you serious? Simply playing a video invokes _intentionally_ limited
    > networking support?

    Yes. They throttle networking to a trickle then.
    After all, Vista needs /some/ of the machine resources for itself
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.

  19. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > [snips]
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    >> whenever you try to play a CD or DVD

    > Are you serious? Simply playing a video invokes _intentionally_ limited
    > networking support?

    Never assume malice where incompetence will suffice. Perhaps the have
    some serious I/O bottlenecks in their kernel? I regularly burn DVDs
    while playing video and copying files over the network and suffer no
    noticeable slowdowns on my middling powered Linux media server. Linux
    has been able to do that for many years now. I find it amazing that
    in this day in age Vista would have problems with that.

    Thad

  20. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    After takin' a swig o' grog, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:12:28 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    >>> whenever you try to play a CD or DVD

    >> Are you serious? Simply playing a video invokes _intentionally_ limited
    >> networking support?

    > Never assume malice where incompetence will suffice. Perhaps the have
    > some serious I/O bottlenecks in their kernel? I regularly burn DVDs
    > while playing video and copying files over the network and suffer no
    > noticeable slowdowns on my middling powered Linux media server. Linux
    > has been able to do that for many years now. I find it amazing that
    > in this day in age Vista would have problems with that.

    Went to this page on my Linux box:

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f2d551033.mspx

    Find which edition of Windows Vista you are using

    Applies to: Ultimate.

    (ROTFLMAO!!!)

    Which edition of Windows Vista am I using?

    To find out which edition of Windows Vista is running on your
    computer, do the following:

    o Open Welcome Center by clicking the Start button Picture of the
    Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and
    Maintenance, and then clicking Welcome Center.

    The edition of Windows Vista you are running is displayed with your
    computer details near the top of the window.

    Was this helpful?

    --
    Hell no!

+ Reply to Thread