Microsoft on the Nigerian deal .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft on the Nigerian deal .. - Linux ; "Microsoft strongly believes that individuals, .. should be free to choose the software and *other* *technologies* that best meet their needs" translation: We must kill OLPC type projects in emerging markets .. "Microsoft operates its business in accordance both with ...

  1. Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    "Microsoft strongly believes that individuals, .. should be free to
    choose the software and *other* *technologies* that best meet their needs"

    translation: We must kill OLPC type projects in emerging markets ..

    "Microsoft operates its business in accordance both with the laws of the
    countries in which it operates and with international law"

    translation: We did everything short of outright criminality to kill the
    Classmate deal.

    "We believe Microsoft offers the best overall option of value,
    integration, interoperability and support, without complexity or added
    dependency on services"

    translation: Other Systems are too depended on services, too complex,
    not interoperable, doesn't have support and isn't 'integrated'

    "We are seeing strong market demand for Windows on low-cost devices to
    help governments in the areas of education, local innovation, and jobs
    and opportunity"

    translation: We see OLPC type projects as cutting into our market,
    therfore despice the chief bul**** architect rubbishing the concept in
    the press, we are now going to offer our own low-cost-version ..

    "We find that the government agencies are looking at the complete picture"

    translation: government agencies are easier to bribe ..

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...mer/page2.html

    "get a decent computer where you can actually read the text and you're
    not sitting there cranking the thing while you're trying to type"

    http://www.developingtelecoms.com/content/view/298/59/

    http://fakebill.wordpress.com/

  2. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Monday 05 November 2007 19:10 : \____

    > "Microsoft strongly believes that individuals, .. should be free to
    > choose the software and *other* *technologies* that best meet their needs"
    >
    > translation: We must kill OLPC type projects in emerging markets ..
    >
    > "Microsoft operates its business in accordance both with the laws of the
    > countries in which it operates and with international law"
    >
    > translation: We did everything short of outright criminality to kill the
    > Classmate deal.
    >
    > "We believe Microsoft offers the best overall option of value,
    > integration, interoperability and support, without complexity or added
    > dependency on services"
    >
    > translation: Other Systems are too depended on services, too complex,
    > not interoperable, doesn't have support and isn't 'integrated'
    >
    > "We are seeing strong market demand for Windows on low-cost devices to
    > help governments in the areas of education, local innovation, and jobs
    > and opportunity"
    >
    > translation: We see OLPC type projects as cutting into our market,
    > therfore despice the chief bul**** architect rubbishing the concept in
    > the press, we are now going to offer our own low-cost-version ..
    >
    > "We find that the government agencies are looking at the complete picture"
    >
    > translation: government agencies are easier to bribe ..

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...mer/page2.html

    > "get a decent computer where you can actually read the text and you're
    > not sitting there cranking the thing while you're trying to type"
    >
    > http://www.developingtelecoms.com/content/view/298/59/
    >

    > http://fakebill.wordpress.com/

    New blog?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
    Cpu(s): 26.3%us, 4.5%sy, 1.0%ni, 64.0%id, 3.9%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > "We find that the government agencies are looking at the complete picture"
    >
    > translation: government agencies are easier to bribe ..

    "It ain't over until the fat lady sings!"

    That is where the OSS crowd just doesn't have the right stuff to make a dent
    in the struggle for men's minds. You have, I believe, decried the notion
    that Microsoft would go to the extremes of putting a competitor out of
    business, but you can see that just getting the other guy down doesn't
    guarantee success. They will just keep coming back at you.

    Microsoft is nothing if it is not adaptable. If you get the users to demand
    standard file formats, Microsoft will seek to standardize their file
    formats. If you drive down the prices in a market, Microsoft will beat you
    at your price and get the business and find some way to sell something
    additional to that customer. What do you want to be that the next lord
    mayor of Munich has a couple of sales types treating him to a steinful of
    lager and a couple of bratwursts and whispering about how he can shave some
    costs from his IT budget by dumping those high priced Linux consultants and
    going with the easier to use Windows servers? It takes feet on the street
    to sell and OSS ain't got any.

  4. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    Some official in the Nigerian government e-mailed Ballmer and got him to
    to hand over his bank account number so that funds for the purchased
    copies of Windows may be deposited most efficiently.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Parity on, dudes!

  5. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >(snip)

    You're saying that M$ has a lot of resources and is capable of a wide
    variety of dirty tricks. Well, we already knew that. Rat.

  6. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "We find that the government agencies are looking at the complete picture"
    > >
    > > translation: government agencies are easier to bribe ..
    > >

    > "It ain't over until the fat lady sings!"
    >
    > That is where the OSS crowd just doesn't have the right stuff to make a dent
    > in the struggle for men's minds. You have, I believe, decried the notion
    > that Microsoft would go to the extremes of putting a competitor out of
    > business, but you can see that just getting the other guy down doesn't
    > guarantee success. They will just keep coming back at you.
    >
    > Microsoft is nothing if it is not adaptable. If you get the users to demand
    > standard file formats, Microsoft will seek to standardize their file
    > formats.

    ODF?

    > If you drive down the prices in a market, Microsoft will beat you
    > at your price and get the business and find some way to sell something
    > additional to that customer.

    Dumping?

    > What do you want to be that the next lord
    > mayor of Munich has a couple of sales types treating him to a steinful of
    > lager and a couple of bratwursts

    The B word?

    > and whispering about how he can shave some
    > costs from his IT budget by dumping those high priced Linux consultants and
    > going with the easier to use Windows servers? It takes feet on the street
    > to sell and OSS ain't got any.

    Yes, it does. IT staffs are probably the best spokespersons for OSS.
    Even experienced Windows admins tend to be OSS enthusiasts and are more
    likely to run something like Linux on their personal systems than the
    average desktop user.

    Heck, I was sitting in the Tullys on the ground floor of one of
    Microsoft's satellite offices in Bellevue the other day. The (Microsoft)
    employees sitting at the next table were talking about some 'new
    technology' and estimating how much effort it would take for them to
    port it to Mono. The people who know Windows and .NET the best are some
    of our most valuable promoters.

    P.S. Got your free laptop yet?

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and

  7. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "We find that the government agencies are looking at the complete
    >> > picture"
    >> >
    >> > translation: government agencies are easier to bribe ..
    >> >

    >> "It ain't over until the fat lady sings!"
    >>
    >> That is where the OSS crowd just doesn't have the right stuff to make a
    >> dent
    >> in the struggle for men's minds. You have, I believe, decried the notion
    >> that Microsoft would go to the extremes of putting a competitor out of
    >> business, but you can see that just getting the other guy down doesn't
    >> guarantee success. They will just keep coming back at you.
    >>
    >> Microsoft is nothing if it is not adaptable. If you get the users to
    >> demand
    >> standard file formats, Microsoft will seek to standardize their file
    >> formats.

    > ODF?
    >
    >> If you drive down the prices in a market, Microsoft will beat you
    >> at your price and get the business and find some way to sell something
    >> additional to that customer.

    > Dumping?

    Not at all. Do some research on "dumping". Meeting a competitive price is
    never dumping regardless of production costs. Further, the incremental cost
    of software is pretty much zero anyway, so you can justify any price in
    regard to a "dumping" charge.

    >> What do you want to be that the next lord
    >> mayor of Munich has a couple of sales types treating him to a steinful of
    >> lager and a couple of bratwursts

    > The B word?

    Tut, just common courtesy to one's customers. The temptation is to reduce
    one's costs due to cleaning out the overpriced IT weenies that are needed to
    run an arcane Linux shop versus a Windows shop. Microsoft has published
    numerous case studies showing the cost comparisons. You should get the
    facts.

    >> and whispering about how he can shave some
    >> costs from his IT budget by dumping those high priced Linux consultants
    >> and
    >> going with the easier to use Windows servers? It takes feet on the
    >> street
    >> to sell and OSS ain't got any.

    > Yes, it does. IT staffs are probably the best spokespersons for OSS.
    > Even experienced Windows admins tend to be OSS enthusiasts and are more
    > likely to run something like Linux on their personal systems than the
    > average desktop user.

    You are naive.

    > Heck, I was sitting in the Tullys on the ground floor of one of
    > Microsoft's satellite offices in Bellevue the other day. The (Microsoft)
    > employees sitting at the next table were talking about some 'new
    > technology' and estimating how much effort it would take for them to
    > port it to Mono. The people who know Windows and .NET the best are some
    > of our most valuable promoters.

    Which may account for the fact that Linux has gone nowhere on the desktop.

  8. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    On 2007-11-06, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >> If you drive down the prices in a market, Microsoft will beat you
    >> at your price and get the business and find some way to sell something
    >> additional to that customer.

    > Dumping?

    When Microsoft lowers a price, it is dumping. When Microsoft does not
    lower a price, they are maintaining monopoly pricing. Is there any
    price point they can use that is OK?

  9. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > When Microsoft lowers a price, it is dumping ..

    when Microsoft gives away the software for free and bribes some Nigerian
    officials it called crooked ...

  10. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl wrote

    > That's assuming Microsoft is paying any funds at all, as opposed to merely sending out consultants with licenses. I'd have to research the issue, but clearly something a little odd is going on here.

    'Under the deal, Microsoft would give TSC $400,000 for "marketing
    activities" related to the machines - if they're converted to Windows'

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ed_school_pcs/

  11. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Doug Mentohl belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl wrote

    >> That's assuming Microsoft is paying any funds at all, as opposed to merely sending out consultants with licenses. I'd have to research the issue, but clearly something a little odd is going on here.

    > 'Under the deal, Microsoft would give TSC $400,000 for "marketing
    > activities" related to the machines - if they're converted to Windows'
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ed_school_pcs/

    Microsoft has a strong relationship with the government in
    Nigeria and will continue to partner with government and industry
    to help meet their needs. Microsoft operates its business in
    accordance both with the laws of the countries in which it
    operates and with international law.

    I like this comment:

    Microsoft might want consider moving their headquarters to Lagos.
    They would evidently fit right in.

    "The estate of the late General Ono Morbaddata has three million
    copies of Vista and I am needing of some help with getting them out
    of the country..."

    And

    This is what M$ is after - the minds of the Nigerian youths. $400k is
    chump change if you get a whole country's future.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    On 6 Nov, 21:38, "amicus_curious" wrote:

    > ...The temptation is to reduce
    > one's costs due to cleaning out the overpriced IT weenies that are needed to
    > run an arcane Linux shop versus a Windows shop. Microsoft has published
    > numerous case studies showing the cost comparisons. You should get the
    > facts.

    LOL! The farcical "Get The Facts" campaign has been thoroughly
    discredited and ridiculed, yet you think Microsoft's "case studies"
    prove something other than that company's dishonesty?

    > ...You are naive.

    No, that's you.

  13. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    dapunka wrote:

    > On 6 Nov, 21:38, "amicus_curious" wrote:

    < snip >

    >> ...You are naive.

    > No, that's you.

    I don't think that he is "naive"
    A much better description is "totally dishonest"

    He knows that his "arguments" are complete, utter balderdash
    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  14. Re: Microsoft on the Nigerian deal ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >> Dumping?
    >>

    >Not at all. Do some research on "dumping". Meeting a competitive price is
    >never dumping regardless of production costs.

    Wrong, when you subsidize a product in one market using excessive
    monopoly profits from another market to suppress competition. What
    M$ is doing would be illegal, if it were done in a single legal entity
    (country). Because it's in different countries, they get away with
    this clearly immoral, anti-competitive behavior.

    >Further, the incremental cost
    >of software is pretty much zero anyway, so you can justify any price in
    >regard to a "dumping" charge.

    You are filth, as are your masters.

+ Reply to Thread