Sun's pooled approach to storage is a breakthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| You've read about ZFS, the advanced storage management facility baked into
| Sun Microsystems' Solaris Unix operating system. It is Sun's invention, yet
| Sun has opened it to the world by including it with the mass of Solaris code
| that Sun has open-sourced.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257386008109F7

They are still being trolled by patent holders, which apparently are not going
away.

Statistics Don't Support Dennis Crouch's Conclusion That Patent Litigation in
EDTX is "Waning"

,----[ Quote ]
| Dennis Crouch reports that patent filings in the Eastern District of Texas
| are, or soon will be, waning.
|
| I strongly disagree. First, the statistics that Dennis reports are strongly
| to the contrary. He notes that almost one in six patent cases in the US filed
| in the last two months were filed in Eastern Texas. In fact, the number of
| cases filed in 2007 in EDTX has already shattered all previous records. As I
| will soon report, there have been 309 patent cases filed in EDTX this year
| already, through 304 days. CDCA is a distant second.*
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/200...s-crouchs.html

Related:

Sun plans to countersue NetApp

,----[ Quote ]
| Consequently, "Later this week, we're going to use our defensive portfolio to
| respond to Network Appliance, filing a comprehensive reciprocal suit. As a
| part of this suit, we are requesting a permanent injunction to remove all of
| their filer products from the marketplace, and are examining the original NFS
| license--on which Network Appliance was started," Schwartz said. * *
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9803882-39.html

NetApp/Sun lawsuit seen as open-source test case

,----[ Quote ]
| NetApp contends that Sun's ZFS file system technology, which was donated to
| the OpenSolaris.org open-source community earlier this year, infringes on
| seven NetApp patents. *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9034562

Sun calls NetApp's blog bluff...with open source...in a blog

,----[ Quote ]
| I know nothing about the validity of either side's patent claims. Only a
| judge (or, more likely, a settlement) will elucidate either claim. But I have
| watched Microsoft respond to open source with patent FUD, and I'm willing to
| believe that others will fight back in this same way. I don't know that
| NetApp is--Hitz argues pretty persuasively that there were other reasons
| involved--but I do believe that any company that relies on an old way of
| selling its software needs to respond to the open-source threat. * * *
|
| Patent suits are one way to do that. An ugly, and ultimately futile way, but
| a way nonetheless.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...&subj=NewsBlog

Google: Kill all the patent trolls

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's head of patents believes the U.S. patent system is "in crisis".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...patent_reform/

Company Sues Sony, Wants PlayStation 3s 'Impounded And Destroyed'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070801/tc_cmp/201202099