Google to unveil Linus-based phone software - Linux

This is a discussion on Google to unveil Linus-based phone software - Linux ; "Japanese wireless carriers KDDI and NTT DoCoMo are said to be heavily involved in what will be called the Open Handset Alliance, according to other sources. The rest of the more than 30 other companies involved reads like a who's-who ...

  1. Google to unveil Linus-based phone software

    "Japanese wireless carriers KDDI and NTT DoCoMo are said to be heavily
    involved in what will be called the Open Handset Alliance, according
    to other sources. The rest of the more than 30 other companies
    involved reads like a who's-who list of the mobile-computing industry,
    including Qualcomm, Broadcom, HTC, Intel, Samsung, Motorola, Sprint,
    and Texas Instruments."

    In other words, the only one not invited was Microsoft.

    -RFH

  2. Re: Google to unveil Linus-based phone software

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Sunday 04 November 2007 01:17 : \____

    > "Japanese wireless carriers KDDI and NTT DoCoMo are said to be heavily
    > involved in what will be called the Open Handset Alliance, according
    > to other sources. The rest of the more than 30 other companies
    > involved reads like a who's-who list of the mobile-computing industry,
    > including Qualcomm, Broadcom, HTC, Intel, Samsung, Motorola, Sprint,
    > and Texas Instruments."
    >
    > In other words, the only one not invited was Microsoft.
    >
    > -RFH

    Do not fear the beast. It is going to f***ing kill Google, just as Steve
    Ballmer has promised with its... errr... oh, wait... 4-6% market share. Wow!

    70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
    |
    | Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
    | 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
    ` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

    Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
    | second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
    | widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
    | 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

    Oh, wait.

    Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
    | that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
    `----

    http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

    *sigh* Relieving to know this... Google can be among the many companies that
    will knock Symbian and iPhone (Mach kernel) off their feet... Symbian has
    already resorted to anti-Linux FUD tactics, by thee way... Windows is not even
    seen a danger and it will continue to be an irrelevant, negligible niche that
    barely grows.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Google: organising the world's information. Government: reorgnaising
    the world's information (censorship) in its favour