Need a simple linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Need a simple linux - Linux ; Hi all, I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to : install linux setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in. install perl modules run the http server ...

  1. Need a simple linux

    :

    install linux
    setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    install perl modules
    run the http server

    I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.

    My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    can run on my machine?

    Thanks ahead,

  2. Re: Need a simple linux

    Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    You did not mentioned what kind of processor you have in your machine.
    How much space in you HD do you have?
    You want perl and http only?
    Does your machine have a floppy?
    Do you need usb support?

    I am sure you will get a lot of responses regarding different small
    distros easy to install. I have been using a floppy distribution called
    Freesco that comes in a floppy and its based on Slackware. It comes with
    an http server but you can easily add apache as a web server and also
    you could easily as well add perl. The best part is the support, Freesco
    has one of the best support groups out there.

    Good luck in your quest

  3. Re: Need a simple linux

    Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

    the whole thing RUNS never mind installs in 128Mb or RAM and needs all
    the processing power of a 486.

  4. Re: Need a simple linux

    "Nemesio" wrote in message
    > You did not mentioned what kind of processor you have in your machine.
    > How much space in you HD do you have?
    > You want perl and http only?
    > Does your machine have a floppy?
    > Do you need usb support?

    it's a pentium II, 350mhz .... i need nothing fancy at all....support wise.

  5. Re: Need a simple linux

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:28:46 -0400, Daniel Kaplan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    You could do a minimal (server) install of ubuntu; or a minimal install of
    Debian or just about anything else. You could actually run a decent
    desktop like XFCE or Enlightenment - but Gnome or KDE would be a bit of a
    stretch.

  6. Re: Need a simple linux

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:28:46 -0400, Daniel Kaplan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like
    > to :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install
    > apps seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out
    > there that I can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

  7. Re: Need a simple linux

    Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    > "Nemesio" wrote in message
    >> You did not mentioned what kind of processor you have in your machine.
    >> How much space in you HD do you have?
    >> You want perl and http only?
    >> Does your machine have a floppy?
    >> Do you need usb support?

    > it's a pentium II, 350mhz .... i need nothing fancy at all....support wise.

    I ran RH5 thru RH8 on a machine like that with 10GB HD and with full KDE
    graphics that came with those distributions. The difference was the PII @ 333MHz.

    --
    The PKK of the Kurds is a terrorist organization according to the US. The US
    also arms and finances the PKK. Has not Bush said nations have a right to

  8. Re: Need a simple linux

    Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    Hi,

    Puppy Linux
    http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

    or Feather Linux would do the trick too
    http://featherlinux.berlios.de/

  9. Re: Need a simple linux

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:28:46 -0400, Daniel Kaplan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?

    Slackware.

  10. Re: Need a simple linux

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:28:46 -0400, Daniel Kaplan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like
    > to :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install
    > apps seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out
    > there that I can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    Since you don't need a GUI, then just about any Linux distro will do even
    on a 350MHz 128MB system. The only problem you might have is with a
    distro with a GUI installer. Find a distro that has the option or by
    default is a "text-based" install: Slackware and Debian come immediately
    to mind.

    Stef

  11. Re: Need a simple linux

    In linux.redhat.install Stefan Patric wrote:
    > Since you don't need a GUI, then just about any Linux distro will do even
    > on a 350MHz 128MB system. The only problem you might have is with a
    > distro with a GUI installer. Find a distro that has the option or by
    > default is a "text-based" install: Slackware and Debian come immediately
    > to mind.

    I did a RedHat installation on a 300MHz machine with 256MB of RAM.
    I did the installation without the GUI. I recall that it was just "linux
    text" at the boot prompt. You cold also install at 640x480 with the "linux
    lowres" option.

    If there is less than 192MB of RAM, it should chose the non-GUI install by
    default.

  12. Re: Need a simple linux

    Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like to
    > :
    >
    > install linux
    > setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    > install perl modules
    > run the http server
    >
    > I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >
    > My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install apps
    > seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out there that I
    > can run on my machine?
    >
    > Thanks ahead,

    Most modern Linux installs come with a GUI installed by default. Most
    of them allow the user to modify the /etc/inittab file (do so at your
    own risk) to not start up the GUI.

    From there everything can be broken down into smaller tasks.

    1) Firewall (iptables) configuration.
    2) Installation of perl and modules.
    3) Choose and install an http server (Apache is the most common).

    In essence you want to create a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and perl
    instead of PHP) server with custom firewall rules. You may want to
    consider some of the dedicated LAMP servers found on freshmeat or
    sourceforge.

    Later
    Mike

  13. Re: Need a simple linux

    Stefan Patric wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:28:46 -0400, Daniel Kaplan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have no real linux experience when it comes to installs. I would like
    >> to :
    >>
    >> install linux
    >> setup up a very narrow field of acceptable IPs that are allowed in.
    >> install perl modules
    >> run the http server
    >>
    >> I do NOT need to run any Linux Desktop GUI.
    >>
    >> My problem is that my junk machine has only 128mb. Most Linux install
    >> apps seem to want more. Anyone aquainted with any Linux install out
    >> there that I can run on my machine?
    >>
    >> Thanks ahead,

    > Since you don't need a GUI, then just about any Linux distro will do even
    > on a 350MHz 128MB system. The only problem you might have is with a
    > distro with a GUI installer. Find a distro that has the option or by
    > default is a "text-based" install: Slackware and Debian come immediately
    > to mind.
    >
    > Stef

    The ubuntu server installation CD should give one the ability to install a
    LAMP system without a GUI .. ie. run headless.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.