Linux/OSS ETA: who knows? - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux/OSS ETA: who knows? - Linux ; Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom Linux 5. Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds. It's gone up and down, ...

  1. Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    Linux 5.

    Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different
    intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds.

    It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21 to
    00:04 to 02:23, etc.

    How bad can this OSS crapware get?

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/SCEL5_yum_eta.png

  2. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    DFS wrote:
    > Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    > Linux 5.

    Oh yes, DFS and his notoriously botched installations. You just don't
    know how to install anything, do you DFS?

    I, on the other hand, get through the download and installation of
    Firefox in little over a minute.

    http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot16.png
    http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot17.png
    http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot18.png

    The difference being that I'm not into that 'breaking my own
    installations' jazz.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  3. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    Timo Pirinen wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    >> Linux 5.

    Chicken**** failure to reply to the slopware topic noted. Here - I'll give
    you another chance:

    Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different
    intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds.

    It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21 to
    00:04 to 02:23, etc.

    How bad can this OSS crapware get?

    > Oh yes, DFS and his notoriously botched installations. You just don't
    > know how to install anything, do you DFS?

    The installation was fine. The updating was broken. I've had better
    experiences with Synaptic.

    > I, on the other hand, get through the download and installation of
    > Firefox in little over a minute.

    Lucky you. Mine took about 15 minutes.

    Just now yum extender required 50 seconds just to initialize/list the repos,
    then the entire app locked up.

    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ender_init.png

    > http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot16.png
    > http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot17.png
    > http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot18.png
    >
    > The difference being that I'm not into that 'breaking my own
    > installations' jazz.

    Explain how I can "break an installation"?

    I'll be waiting.

  4. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21 to
    > 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >
    > How bad can this OSS crapware get?

    Have you ever watched the progress indicator in a Visual Studio .NET
    (2000) install?

    How bad can this Microsoft crapware get?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21
    >> to 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >>
    >> How bad can this OSS crapware get?

    > Have you ever watched the progress indicator in a Visual Studio .NET
    > (2000) install?

    I have not (that I can remember).

    > How bad can this Microsoft crapware get?

    Does it fluctuate up and down by ~8000% like this OSS crapware?

  6. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    DFS wrote:
    > Timo Pirinen wrote:

    > Just now yum extender required 50 seconds just to initialize/list the repos,
    > then the entire app locked up.
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ender_init.png

    Of course it does - now. Because you botched the installation of the OS.
    In other words, you failed to install the OS correctly. The OS
    installation was too difficult for you. No wonder, after all an OS
    installation procedure is designed for people with normal intelligence
    or better.

    >> http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot16.png
    >> http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot17.png
    >> http://www.saunalahti.fi/pirisisi/test/snapshot18.png
    >>
    >> The difference being that I'm not into that 'breaking my own
    >> installations' jazz.

    > Explain how I can "break an installation"?

    You make a wrong choice somewhere during the setup and end up with a
    broken installation. That is how *you* can break an installation, I'm
    not into that. Probably you clicked somewhere you shouldn't have. A
    subgenius like you always finds a way.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  7. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    DFS wrote:

    Linux ETA must have happened while you were napping and missed it.
    More than 1 million Linux users added per month minimum.
    Linux gadgets - tens of millions of new owners per month.

  8. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:12:29 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    > Linux 5.
    >
    > Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different
    > intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds.
    >
    > It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to
    > 54:21 to 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >
    > How bad can this OSS crapware get?
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/SCEL5_yum_eta.png

    Why do you care?

    And if you hate it so much, why do you use it?

    BTW, your title is dishonest, and you know it.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:43:52 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to
    >>> 54:21 to 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >>>
    >>> How bad can this OSS crapware get?

    >> Have you ever watched the progress indicator in a Visual Studio .NET
    >> (2000) install?

    > I have not (that I can remember).
    >

    >> How bad can this Microsoft crapware get?

    > Does it fluctuate up and down by ~8000% like this OSS crapware?

    Since your premise is flawed, no answer is possible.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    DFS wrote:

    > Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    > Linux 5.
    >
    > Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different
    > intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds.
    >
    > It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21
    > to 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >
    > How bad can this OSS crapware get?
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/SCEL5_yum_eta.png

    You are a strange bird. It takes about 15-30 minutes to install a modern
    distro, yet you insist on going forward with an obviously broken
    installation for days. This borders on the pathological. Expending all
    that energy on a fool's errand is accelerating the rate of global warming.
    Spare us.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  11. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    Timo Pirinen wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Timo Pirinen wrote:

    >> Just now yum extender required 50 seconds just to initialize/list the
    >> repos, then the entire app locked up.
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/...ender_init.png

    > Of course it does - now. Because you botched the installation of the OS.
    > In other words, you failed to install the OS correctly. The OS
    > installation was too difficult for you. No wonder, after all an OS
    > installation procedure is designed for people with normal intelligence
    > or better.

    A minute later I try it again and suddenly it initializes in 11 seconds.

    "GUI Setup Completted
    Mirrordetection : default
    Yum Version : 3.0.1 (/usr/share/yum-cli)
    [Yum] Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Repository initialization completed in 10.79 seconds"

    Linux: works from time to time

    >> Explain how I can "break an installation"?

    > You make a wrong choice somewhere during the setup and end up with a
    > broken installation.

    Exactly where during the SCEL5 installation can I make a "wrong choice"
    (whatever that is)?

    We all know exactly what the problem is: Linux is a borked "operating
    system" totally unsuitable for desktop users that will be running and
    testing/installing/uninstalling lots of software.

  12. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    skydweller wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Using an app called Yum Extender to install Firefox updates on StartCom
    >> Linux 5.
    >>
    >> Bottom right is a little ETA indicator which refreshes at different
    >> intervals: sometimes twice per second, sometimes once every few seconds.
    >>
    >> It's gone up and down, up and down, from 04:56 to 82:35 to 01:22 to 54:21
    >> to 00:04 to 02:23, etc.
    >>
    >> How bad can this OSS crapware get?
    >>
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/SCEL5_yum_eta.png

    > You are a strange bird. It takes about 15-30 minutes to install a modern
    > distro,

    You're recommending a reinstall. Gotcha.

    cola losers and idiots claim only Windows needs to be reinstalled.

    cola losers and idiots claim only Windows needs to be rebooted when software
    is installed http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

    cola losers and idiots make all kinds of lies and stupid claims about Linux
    and Windows.

    > yet you insist on going forward with an obviously broken
    > installation for days.

    How can the installation be broken, when all I did was choose packages
    offered on lists and click Next or Install?

    Unless...

    > This borders on the pathological. Expending all
    > that energy on a fool's errand is accelerating the rate of global warming.
    > Spare us.

    I'm just gettin' started.

  13. Re: Linux/OSS ETA: who knows?

    DFS wrote:
    > Timo Pirinen wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Explain how I can "break an installation"?

    >> You make a wrong choice somewhere during the setup and end up with a
    >> broken installation.

    > Exactly where during the SCEL5 installation can I make a "wrong choice"

    As I said, a subgenius like you will find a way.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

+ Reply to Thread