[News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers - Linux ; Hitting the Open Source Road With a Linux-Powered Driverless Vehicle ,----[ Quote ] | "Any time something creative is done with Linux on Power, it showcases a | unique solution and stimulates others to also think outside of the box ...

  1. [News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers

    Hitting the Open Source Road With a Linux-Powered Driverless Vehicle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Any time something creative is done with Linux on Power, it showcases a
    | unique solution and stimulates others to also think outside of the box to
    | recognize that we can choose to live in an other than Wintel world and still
    | be viable, even thrive," Kai Staats, CEO of Terra Soft Solutions, told
    | LinuxInsider.
    `----

    Related:

    Rethinking the driver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to the next
    | level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of Applications that I
    | can download right from the OS? Linux does a pretty good job of the
    | applications downloads as well. It's features like this which, while
    | requiring quite a bit of polish, make the Linux platform more and more
    | appealing. Don't get me wrong, Linux still has device driver issues, but they
    | are actually innovating in this area as opposed to just sitting back and
    | doing what everyone else does. Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://www.technologyevangelist.com/...the_drive.html

    Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
    | to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
    | open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
    | back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
    | Kroah-Hartman said. Â* Â*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
    | overstated...
    `----

    A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
    | all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
    | that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
    | than Vista.
    `----

    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

    LINUX Developers’ Toolkit Debuts at Power Architecture Developer Conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Power.org introduced the Power Architecture LINUX Developer Toolkit and
    | Reference Platform, 970MP Edition, an offering that helps members and their
    | customers lower cost of development and accelerate their product’s time to
    | market.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/l...per-conference

    Linux Super Computer - Powered By Bicycles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SiCortex, the first company to engineer a Linux cluster from the silicon up,
    | showed of the energy efficiency that can be achieved in high performance
    | computing.
    `----

    http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/09/...d-by-bicycles/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers

    On 2007-11-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    [deletia]
    > Related:
    >
    > Rethinking the driver
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to the next
    >| level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of Applications that I
    >| can download right from the OS? Linux does a pretty good job of the
    >| applications downloads as well. It's features like this which, while
    >| requiring quite a bit of polish, make the Linux platform more and more
    >| appealing. Don't get me wrong, Linux still has device driver issues, but they
    >| are actually innovating in this area as opposed to just sitting back and
    >| doing what everyone else does. Â* Â* Â*
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.technologyevangelist.com/...the_drive.html
    >

    > Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

    They can start on the Hauppauge 1600...

    [deletia]

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread