[News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for Better Capitalism - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for Better Capitalism - Linux ; Eben Moglen: Copyleft Capitalism, GPLv3 and the Future of Software Innovation ,----[ Quote ] | Today I heard the best single presentation on open-source and free software I | have ever personally attended, in a talk by Columbia Professor of ...

  1. [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for Better Capitalism

    Eben Moglen: Copyleft Capitalism, GPLv3 and the Future of Software Innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today I heard the best single presentation on open-source and free software I
    | have ever personally attended, in a talk by Columbia Professor of Law Eben
    | Moglen, on the topic “Copyleft Capitalism: GPLv3 and the Future of Software
    | Innovation.” He spoke for over 90 minutes. I understand the session was
    | recorded, and I have asked that a transcript be prepared. I write the rest of
    | this post based on the notes I took during his extraordinary talk.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft failed in that, as a monopoly, it has for the first time failed to
    | produce a new version that will get the old version out of the market.
    |
    | Vista has doomed them, as Microsoft is now competing with itself, trying to
    | displace Windows with Vista.
    |
    | He then said the real problem was to limit the damage when Microsoft fails,
    | how to get “out from under” Microsoft as they enter the end game, perhaps by
    | paroxisms of litigation.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Eben then related how he had finessed the famed “coupons” in the
    | Microsoft/Novell brouhaha, describing how he had “hacked” Novell.
    `----

    http://daveshields.wordpress.com/200...re-innovation/

    GPLv3, bug fixes, and complexity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The GPL, as far as I know, is the only free software licence that has been
    | tested in court, and it's used by more software projects than all other free
    | software licences combined. This gives it's writers a lot of information with
    | which to do bug fixing, and it gives the GPL a massive responsibility to work
    | solidly.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2571

    Related:

    World Series hype, GPLv3 adoption increase in October

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The hype, no thanks to FOX and those Dane Cook promos, has reached a fever
    | pitch (pun intended). The GPL, on the other hand, saw above average adoption
    | rates among open source developers and their projects. *
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...se-in-october/

    GPL Project Watch List for the Week of 10/26/07

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even though the holiday for this month is Halloween, it feels like Christmas,
    | at least for the GPL v3.
    `----

    http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/10/gpl...d-to-give.html

    Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
    | partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
    | Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations. *
    `----

    The Badger Game

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, by threatening everything and promising nothing (because would Microsoft
    | really sue anyone for patents, knowing how many competitors in the Linux
    | community have patents of their own?), Microsoft has skillfully managed to
    | get open source players to endorse Open XML. A variant of the classic Badger
    | Game if I ever heard one. * *
    |
    | Faced with cons like this, I am beginning to realize that having something
    | like the GPLv3 around is a very good idea. Even though the new GPL could not
    | have prevented this scam, it may help in the future. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastruc...71302826OPMSPB

    Apache Foundation Co-Founder Likes GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "This what Apache has long wanted because we do want them
    | [GPL-oriented developers] to use it [Apache code], and we
    | didn't like even considering the prospect of GPL-only
    | re-implementations of our works just for compatibility's
    | sake." GLPv3, he added, "is good news, from my perspective."
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._foundati.html

    MS: Dancing as fast as it can to try to get away from GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Want to laugh? Microsoft Says It Is Not Bound by GPLv3" -- they think they
    | can so declare, like an emperor, and it becomes fiat. It's not so easy.
    | I gather Microsoft's lawyers have begun to discern the GPL pickle they
    | are in.
    `----

    GPL3 welcomed by IBM, Red Hat, Novell, MySQL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa...9279403,00.htm

    ,----[ Quoye ]
    | [Chris DiBona of Google:] The latest revision [of GPLv3] is actually pretty
    | good.
    `----

    [Creative Commons in Support of] GPLv3!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Note that Creative Commons has always recommended the GPL and other
    | free software licenses for software. We look forward to transitioning
    | software we create to GPLv3.
    `----

    Linux guru backs new GNU licence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source guru Alan Cox has voiced his support for the
    | controversial version 3.0 of the GNU General Public Licence
    | in an exclusive podcast interview with Computer Weekly.
    `----

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...nu-licence.htm

    The Real Meaning of GNU GPLv3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Taken together, these different aspects underline why the release of
    | the final version of the GNU GPLv3 is such a big event. Its appearance
    | represents the crystallisation of major trends within the world of
    | technology and business – and even beyond.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000246

    Alan Cox Interview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Personally I think it's a bad idea and that Novell are going to
    | get stung by the GPLv3, and rightfully so. The license is designed
    | to keep the software free, if it fails to do this then it needs
    | fixing, so GPLv3 hopefully will fix this flaw.
    `----

    http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozho...lan-cox?page=1

    Apache, GPL License Compatibility Back On Track

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GPL 3 is now on track to be finalized in August. Its adoption will be
    | a major milestone in the open-source industry and will force developers
    | of GPL-licensed software to make choices about migrating to the new
    | license or contributing to a potential schism between version 2 and
    | version 3 software.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/199500038

    OpenLogic survey warm on GPL 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A survey of open-source programming experts that start-up OpenLogic
    | pays to resolve software troubles has revealed some favorable
    | feelings about the new third draft of the General Public License (GPL).
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-617...0-20&subj=news

  2. Re: [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for BetterCapitalism

    Priceless. ROFL. Uh clowns.

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    "The revolution might take significantly longer than anticipated."

    -- The GNU Monk Harald Welte

  3. Re: [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for Better Capitalism

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > Priceless. ROFL. Uh clowns.

    Moglen does hold some clownish, idiotic, cola-ish views (from the author's
    notes):

    * Microsoft has thus suppressed innovation, so their users are disempowered.

    * Microsoft’s success had a devastating impact on innovation:
    - added friction in running a business
    - programing became a discipline that was accessible only by using a
    proprietary toolkit

    * the day would soon be upon us when people would be fired for buying
    Microsoft

    All are ridiculous claims.

  4. Re: [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for BetterCapitalism

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:33:37 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > Priceless. ROFL. Uh clowns.

    No, you ar ejust showing how much you don't understand OSS licenses.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Moglen and Others Advocate the GNU GPLv3 for BetterCapitalism

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:41:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >
    >> Priceless. ROFL. Uh clowns.

    > Moglen does hold some clownish, idiotic, cola-ish views (from the
    > author's notes):
    >
    > * Microsoft has thus suppressed innovation, so their users are
    > disempowered.

    Microsoft HAS suppressed innovation. We have never recovered from
    Microsoft's killing of Go.

    > * Microsoft’s success had a devastating impact on innovation: - added

    Yup... interesting how illegally maintaining monopoly power can do that.

    > friction in running a business - programing became a discipline that was
    > accessible only by using a proprietary toolkit
    >
    > * the day would soon be upon us when people would be fired for buying
    > Microsoft
    >
    > All are ridiculous claims.

    While not ridiculous, hopefully, I think "soon" is a little exaggerated.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread