Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates. - Linux

This is a discussion on Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates. - Linux ; Peter Kohlmannn wrote: > > http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/dir/l...197/index.html > http://www.muenchen.de/cms/prod1/mde...free_softw.pdf Early 2007 Effective client rollout Gradual development of a basic operating system Incremental further development of WollMux More offices migrate to a basic operating system More offices use free software for Microsoft ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    Peter Kohlmannn wrote:

    > http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/dir/l...197/index.html

    http://www.muenchen.de/cms/prod1/mde...free_softw.pdf

    Early 2007
    Effective client rollout
    Gradual development of a basic operating system
    Incremental further development of WollMux
    More offices migrate to a basic operating system
    More offices use free software for Microsoft Windows (e.g.
    OpenOffice.org, Firefox,
    Thunderbird, Gimp)
    Until end of 2008
    Migration to a basic operating system in nearly all offices

    Two worlds coexist: MS Office and OpenOffice
    Gradual migration to a basic operating system
    Migration to OpenOffice under MS Windows possible, not a must
    Parallel use of OpenOffice and MS Office
    File exchange necessary
    Internally
    Externally
    Development of a guide to file exchange

    http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/3223
    At the general meeting of the city council on May 28 in 2003, members of
    various parties voted for a shift of the IT infrastructure of the
    municipality of the German city Munich towards open source software.

    Go Linux!! Go Munich!

  2. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:59:37 GMT, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>> XP choked with that RAM, it needed at least twice that amount, 512MBytes

    >> I can certainly attest to that, based on recent experience.
    >>
    >> Incredible. Gob-smackin' jaw-droppin' pants-soilin' incredible.

    > Note the word "recent" in there.
    >
    > When XP was released, it ran quite well in 256MB, in fact it ran pretty
    > well in 128MB. I know, i had plenty of machines that couldn't take more
    > than 256MB at the time.
    >
    > SP2 really upped the bar.

    Exactly.

    > The firewall and various other enhancements
    > raised the footprint substantially, making 128MB too limiting. 256MB is
    > still just fine, so long as you disable some of the services that most
    > people don't use. 512 is better, though.

    I don't quite agree. 256Mb with SP2, trying to run Visual Studio,
    yields quite a bit of disk thrashing. And, upon login, the thrashing
    persists for a couple minutes.

    I've had to back off of my reliance on that old laptop, anyway. If I
    leave it sit for awhile, it blue-screens.

    Combine that with the boot problems (occasional diagnostic beeps and
    hard-drive noise+failure), and I've rebuilt one of our old workstations
    with XP (but not SP2 yet, though IT will surely badger me about it
    soon).

    It has 1 Gb RAM, so is much more pleasant to use, and I can still lug it
    home so I don't have stay at work late to debug.

    > Vista is slow to boot on 512MB, but it runs quite well once booted. I have
    > a laptop here with 512MB and Vista, and it's very snappy when running, but
    > it's a pain to boot.

    You might want to rephrase that last line .

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:03:25 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:56:17 GMT, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o'
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> Are you seriously trying to claim that Munich would not have to pay for
    >>> administrators for Windows systems?
    >>>
    >>> Get outa town, man!

    >> Where did I say administrators? "The system" doesn't mean the computers,
    >> it means LiMux and it's related applications.

    > And you don't know what you're talking about, as usual
    >
    > http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/dir/l...197/index.html
    >
    > And now stop your idiotic FUDding, it is getting tedious, Erik

    What is that link supposed to add to the conversation?

    It just says what LiMux is. How does that refute what I said?

  4. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 17:25:27 GMT, Linonut wrote:

    >> The firewall and various other enhancements
    >> raised the footprint substantially, making 128MB too limiting. 256MB is
    >> still just fine, so long as you disable some of the services that most
    >> people don't use. 512 is better, though.

    > I don't quite agree. 256Mb with SP2, trying to run Visual Studio,
    > yields quite a bit of disk thrashing. And, upon login, the thrashing
    > persists for a couple minutes.

    Visual Studio uses a ton of memory itself, that's why.

    > I've had to back off of my reliance on that old laptop, anyway. If I
    > leave it sit for awhile, it blue-screens.

    That sounds like an APM or ACPI problem, or maybe it overheats when it goes
    into idle mode.

    >> Vista is slow to boot on 512MB, but it runs quite well once booted. I have
    >> a laptop here with 512MB and Vista, and it's very snappy when running, but
    >> it's a pain to boot.

    > You might want to rephrase that last line .

    lol.

  5. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    Linonut wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o'
    > wisdom:
    >
    >> A computer needed to run Win2000 was totally underpowered to run XP.
    >> W2000 ran acceptably with 256MByte RAM
    >>
    >> XP choked with that RAM, it needed at least twice that amount, 512MBytes

    > I can certainly attest to that, based on recent experience.

    I ran XP on a 256mb system for a while, and while it never choked or
    crashed, it wasn't fun - not snappy like I like. So I added $100 worth of
    memory to take it to 1gb and it was nicer - the great MS Office ran much
    better.

    But you can't spend $100, or $1,000, or even $10,000, to make Linux nicer.
    You're stuck using OO and Dia.

    > Incredible. Gob-smackin' jaw-droppin' pants-soilin' incredible.
    >
    >> Vista is barely able to just *boot* on 512MBytes RAM, it needs 1GByte to
    >> just run itself (for sufficiently small values of "run")

    > Munich is undoubtedly kvelling inside to have avoided the
    > land-fill-proportion debacle that is Windows Vista.

    Munich is undergoing the equivalent of sex-reassignment surgery. The
    patient will be scarred inside and out for life, and the result is a
    grotesque mockery of the real thing.

  6. Re: Nigeria wins and cola whines. Munich loses and cola celebrates.

    Voodoo MooGoo wrote:

    > "Proof", "in court". Have you put any thought into the limitations a
    > prosecutor has to work under? In terms of politics, budget, and the
    > collection of evidence?

    You think no evidence of any kind is required to convict MS of corruption in
    this Nigerian deal.

    > Microsoft could bust the budget of any agency
    > that went after it for the soft crimes they have committed.
    > And
    > having spent millions to get Microsoft convicted, prosecuters see
    > their work squandered by the Bush gang. Why should they make any
    > effort to check out the Nigeria event?

    That's a question only they can answer.

    > As for "turn tail and run" from a court session, discovery would be
    > most interesting indeed. Do you think Microsoft has anything to hide?

    I do not.

    > Who would blink first in a game of chicken like that?

    You.

    > Oh right. Microsoft is as pure as the driven snow. You can see that
    > in the way they conduct their business through the years. They have
    > nothing to be concerned about. Its not a BRIBE if there is some, um,
    > legitimate, um, business deal, yeah, um say, um they can facilitate a
    > loan for, um, another unrelated industry partner. Yeah. A loan. We
    > can call it a commission! Yeah, thats the thing. A business deal.
    > Not a bribe. No, not at all.

    Hey, you really do put the baseless in your anti-MS speculation. You'd make
    a good Linux "advocate".

    > I see the inputs. I see the outputs. There is no magic in the middle
    > that leaves Microsoft unslimed. At best, they are not convictable.
    >
    > It really is a business deal, not a bribe. Really!

    Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. You have no evidence whatsoever by which to
    indict MS. You don't know anything about the deal with Mandriva, either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2