[News] Canadian Party Embraces Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Canadian Party Embraces Free Software - Linux ; Canadian Greens add FOSS to election platform ,----[ Quote ] | Thanks to a founding member of Free Geek Vancouver, the Green Party of Canada | has quietly become the first major political party in Canada to make support | ...

  1. [News] Canadian Party Embraces Free Software

    Canadian Greens add FOSS to election platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thanks to a founding member of Free Geek Vancouver, the Green Party of Canada
    | has quietly become the first major political party in Canada to make support
    | for free and open source software (FOSS) part of its election platform. Like
    | officials in the Green Party of England and Wales, deputy leader Adriane Carr
    | sees the move as compatible with basic Green ideas, but IT consultant Neil
    | Adair also points out the move serves the practical purpose of helping the
    | party match the technical resources of more established parties.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/120280

    The Green Party in the UK called Microsoft's involvement in OLPC "unacceptable
    bribery" (see below). After the developments in Nigeria, who was right and who
    was wrong?

    Related:

    Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft wants to restrict the greatest profits in the knowledge economy
    | to already established software corporations like itself.
    |
    | "By installing its programs on these laptops Microsoft hopes to create
    | market domination and vendor lock in. That is unacceptable bribery.
    `----

    http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vn...n-party-labels

    Tories want open source Whitehall:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    |*******The government could save more than £600 million a year if
    |*******it used more open source software, the shadow chancellor has
    |*******estimated.
    |
    |*******George Osborne said the savings would cut 5% off Whitehall's
    |*******annual IT bill.
    |
    |*******He called for a more "level playing field" for all software
    |*******companies, and urged "cultural change" in government.
    `----

    Why pay thousands to restrictive software companies when open source programmes
    are free, easy to use and green?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This week, the Greens have joined together with Friends of the Earth, New
    | Internationalist, People and Planet and the Free Software Foundation to call
    | on other social and activist groups to reject Microsoft's Vista operating
    | system and encourage the use of free software. *
    `----

    http://www.newstatesman.com/200708280002

    Social Activists and FSF Condemn Microsoft Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Peter Brown, FSF's executive director, said, "Free software is an issue of
    | free speech when we depend upon our computers for social activism and
    | political campaigning. Freedoms that we have been defending so vigorously for
    | so long are being handed away through the adoption of software that restricts
    | user freedom."
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/l...icrosoft-vista

    UK Greens connect to free software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Still, he concludes that "awareness within the party is definitely
    | building. I've even had people email me asking how to start
    | migrating to Linux."
    |
    | Outside the party, Chance mentions that he is "constantly
    | surprised by how many people outside the IT world have heard
    | of Linux, and understand that Firefox is more than
    | just another browser."
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/117245

    Member of Parliament Patrick Harvie Talks to KDE

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In answering a question about how we can use the political process more he
    | describes how Microsoft had a government conference in the Scottish
    | Parliament on the day of Windows Vista's launch. There Bill Gates could tell
    | governments that Windows is the norm. He tried to organise a counter
    | conference on the same day but there was no room. However such an event could
    | be organised in parliament and he says MSPs and civil servants would turn up. * *
    |
    | Asked about use in education he said it was utterly wrong to teach children
    | there is only one product in the market. However schools are very reluctant
    | to even give use of a different browser. In education he thinks school
    | children should have at least one experience of collaborating on free
    | software. * *
    `----

    http://dot.kde.org/1184072113/

    Vista gets slated - by the Greens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
    | system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
    |
    | Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
    | unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
    |
    | The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
    | you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
    | to play fair" in the video content market.
    `----

    http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

    Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
    | Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
    | Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
    | up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
    `----

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...ml?track=sy184
    http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

    The [UK] politics of open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There's been a suggestion of a shift towards open source in the
    | houses of government in the UK recently, with the Conservative
    | Party promising to promote open source if elected and the incumbent
    | Labour Party releasing the code behind its new carbon footprint
    | calculator under the General Public License.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | PlaidCymru.org
    | Apache on Linux (moved from Windows today)
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | SDLP.ie
    | Apache on FreeBSD (moved from Windows today)
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...litics_of.html

  2. Re: Canadian Party Embraces Free Software

    On Nov 3, 5:38 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Canadian Greens add FOSS to election platform
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Thanks to a founding member of Free Geek Vancouver, the Green Party of Canada
    > | has quietly become the first major political party in Canada to make support
    > | for free and open source software (FOSS) part of its election platform.

    The New Zealnd Greens have been making similar noises.

    Neat thing the Greens will be wanting Governments to procure computers
    that will last 10 to 20 years and not be stuck on vendor driven
    upgrades as at present.

  3. Re: Canadian Party Embraces Free Software

    peterwn wrote:

    > On Nov 3, 5:38 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Canadian Greens add FOSS to election platform
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Thanks to a founding member of Free Geek Vancouver, the Green Party of
    >> | Canada has quietly become the first major political party in Canada to
    >> | make support for free and open source software (FOSS) part of its
    >> | election platform.

    > The New Zealnd Greens have been making similar noises.
    >
    > Neat thing the Greens will be wanting Governments to procure computers
    > that will last 10 to 20 years and not be stuck on vendor driven
    > upgrades as at present.

    That is very unrealistic.
    Computers double in power every 2 years or so - Moore's Law.
    The next gen postage stamp sized chips I have
    are more powerful than a room full
    of computers 20 years ago and consume only 10 milliamps.

  4. Re: Canadian Party Embraces Free Software

    The Idiot Liar 7 wrote:

    > That is very unrealistic.
    > Computers double in power every 2 years or so - Moore's Law.

    Moore's Law does not state what you claim. Have someone read his 1965
    article for you.

    > The next gen postage stamp sized chips I have

    You have sweet FA.

    > are more powerful than a room full
    > of computers 20 years ago and consume only 10 milliamps.

    Are the alien implants prohibitively difficult to remove? Where are the
    tech docs to your 'next gen' processor?

  5. Re: Canadian Party Embraces Free Software

    ____/ Sharyn Wood on Sunday 04 November 2007 10:26 : \____

    > You have sweet

    *plonk*

    Nymshifter.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
    13:00:01 up 4 days, 17:11, 3 users, load average: 1.69, 1.65, 1.83