Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek. - Linux ; On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:07:41 +0000, [H]omer wrote: > [Podcast] What's Behind the Linux Market Share Numbers? > > .---- Lies, damned lies, and statistics. microsoft wants to create a self- fulfilling prophesy by filling people's heads with a ...

  1. Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek.

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:07:41 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > [Podcast] What's Behind the Linux Market Share Numbers?
    >
    > .----

    Lies, damned lies, and statistics. microsoft wants to create a self-
    fulfilling prophesy by filling people's heads with a lot of propaganda,
    too bad for them it's not working. Linux keeps growing no matter how
    many "unbiased" research reports msft funds that say otherwise.

    > | Some recent market research data shows that Linux is losing |
    > ground to Microsoft Server installations, but the Free Lunch team | says
    > there's more to this data than meets the eye. `----

    > IDC ignores too many variables to make their "analysis" valid.

  2. Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek.

    Mike espoused:
    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:07:41 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> [Podcast] What's Behind the Linux Market Share Numbers?
    >>
    >> .----

    > Lies, damned lies, and statistics. microsoft wants to create a self-
    > fulfilling prophesy by filling people's heads with a lot of propaganda,
    > too bad for them it's not working. Linux keeps growing no matter how
    > many "unbiased" research reports msft funds that say otherwise.

    I quite agree. It's the King Cnut thing - no matter how much he might
    wish the tide out, it will come in. Incidentally, Cnut did this to
    embarrass his brown-necking courtiers.

  3. Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek.

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:31:24 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Mike espoused:
    >> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:07:41 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Podcast] What's Behind the Linux Market Share Numbers?
    >>>
    >>> .----

    >> Lies, damned lies, and statistics. microsoft wants to create a self-
    >> fulfilling prophesy by filling people's heads with a lot of propaganda,
    >> too bad for them it's not working. Linux keeps growing no matter how
    >> many "unbiased" research reports msft funds that say otherwise.
    >>

    > I quite agree. It's the King Cnut thing - no matter how much he might
    > wish the tide out, it will come in. Incidentally, Cnut did this to
    > embarrass his brown-necking courtiers.

    I wasn't familiar with King Cnut, just read a couple of accounts of it,
    seems there is some debate as to whether it was about arrogance or piety.
    The arrogance aspect describes msft perfectly, trying to hold back the
    tide of linux as if it was within the realm of possibility when it's
    not. As for piety, msft has absolutely none of it.

    I've always used the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes" to describe
    msft, a bunch of sycophants praising the non-existent value of windows.

  4. Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek.

    Mike espoused:
    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:31:24 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Mike espoused:

    >>> Lies, damned lies, and statistics. microsoft wants to create a self-
    >>> fulfilling prophesy by filling people's heads with a lot of propaganda,
    >>> too bad for them it's not working. Linux keeps growing no matter how
    >>> many "unbiased" research reports msft funds that say otherwise.
    >>>

    >> I quite agree. It's the King Cnut thing - no matter how much he might
    >> wish the tide out, it will come in. Incidentally, Cnut did this to
    >> embarrass his brown-necking courtiers.

    > I wasn't familiar with King Cnut, just read a couple of accounts of it,
    > seems there is some debate as to whether it was about arrogance or piety.

    From the Wiki entry:

    Canute is legendary for his apparent attempt to "hold back
    the tide". Canute deliberately placed his throne on the beach
    and used his evident inability to order the tide to roll back
    to display to his courtiers the limitations of a king's power
    to command the seas.

    > The arrogance aspect describes msft perfectly, trying to hold back the
    > tide of linux as if it was within the realm of possibility when it's
    > not. As for piety, msft has absolutely none of it.

    Microsoft cannot hold back the tide. But their arrogance is such that
    they cannot stop themselves from trying.

    > I've always used the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes" to describe
    > msft, a bunch of sycophants praising the non-existent value of windows.

    It's also one of my favourites.

  5. Re: [News] Linux losing server market share? Bollocks, says eWeek.

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:05:42 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Mike espoused:
    >> On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:31:24 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike espoused:

    >>> I quite agree. It's the King Cnut thing - no matter how much he might
    >>> wish the tide out, it will come in. Incidentally, Cnut did this to
    >>> embarrass his brown-necking courtiers.

    >> I wasn't familiar with King Cnut, just read a couple of accounts of it,
    >> seems there is some debate as to whether it was about arrogance or
    >> piety.

    > From the Wiki entry:
    >
    > Canute is legendary for his apparent attempt to "hold back the

    tide".
    > Canute deliberately placed his throne on the beach and used his

    evident
    > inability to order the tide to roll back to display to his

    courtiers
    > the limitations of a king's power to command the seas.
    >
    >> The arrogance aspect describes msft perfectly, trying to hold back the
    >> tide of linux as if it was within the realm of possibility when it's
    >> not. As for piety, msft has absolutely none of it.

    > Microsoft cannot hold back the tide. But their arrogance is such that
    > they cannot stop themselves from trying.

    LOL! That's msft to a tee!

    >> I've always used the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes" to describe
    >> msft, a bunch of sycophants praising the non-existent value of windows.
    >>

    > It's also one of my favourites.

+ Reply to Thread