Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now - Linux

This is a discussion on Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now - Linux ; On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:26 -0800, dapunka wrote: > On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch > wrote: > > > >> I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You >> have no consequences to your words or actions, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

  1. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:26 -0800, dapunka wrote:

    > On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >> I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    >> have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    >> like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    >> like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    >>
    >> At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    >> their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    >> real life.

    >
    > That's just after-the-fact self-justification Erik. The reason people
    > use noms de guerre in ngs like this is because ngs like this are /
    > like/ bloody wars... I don't say **** here I wouldn't say IRL. But
    > certain folk here (I'm looking at /you/!) who dislike something I say
    > may want to cause me crap. I dunno why, I guess ass-holery just comes
    > naturally to some. So I use an obscure pseudonym and a disposable
    > gmail account. Doesn't mean I'm up to anything bad. Unlike you.


    I question the veracity of your claim. If you are afraid of repercussions
    from your participation in the newsgroup, then you are admitting that you
    would not say the same things IRL.

    A chinese dissident that uses a psuedonym online would not make the same
    claims in his neighborhood to his neighbors. He likely has good reason to
    be anonymous, but that doesn't change the fact that he's hiding behind
    anonyminity to protect his personal life, and thus he can't make the same
    claims in his personal life for fear of getting the same reputation his nym
    gets.

    To use your analogy of a "warzone", international law requires soldiers to
    wear uniforms and properly identify themselves, so their actions can be
    properly attributed to them and their army. Otherwise, you have a bunch of
    guys running around, looking like normal citizens, causing havok, and
    there's often no way to tell which side they're on or who was responsible.

    No, I don't think that just because someone uses a pseudonym that they're
    up to no good, and in many cases anonyminity is not only desired, but a
    damn good idea (such as in drug and psychological support groups), but when
    people act like pricks, being anonymous gives them license to do whatever
    they want without fear of repercussion.

    I don't care if you're using a fake name if you're reasonable and make good
    arguments (note that that doesn't mean that I expect to agree with you).
    But when you start pulling **** like Daeron and Midget and others do, your
    using psudonyms to hide behind because you're too ashamed to associate your
    name with your words.

    And, for the record, yes. That applies to both sides. I think flatfish is
    a royal prick and coward for what he does. Same for Hadron and linuxsux
    and several others.

    But hey, it's a free internet and an unmoderated group. It's just my
    opinion.

  2. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..


    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:26 -0800, dapunka wrote:
    >
    > > On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >> I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    > >> have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    > >> like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    > >> like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    > >>
    > >> At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    > >> their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    > >> real life.

    > >
    > > That's just after-the-fact self-justification Erik. The reason people
    > > use noms de guerre in ngs like this is because ngs like this are /
    > > like/ bloody wars... I don't say **** here I wouldn't say IRL. But
    > > certain folk here (I'm looking at /you/!) who dislike something I say
    > > may want to cause me crap. I dunno why, I guess ass-holery just comes
    > > naturally to some. So I use an obscure pseudonym and a disposable
    > > gmail account. Doesn't mean I'm up to anything bad. Unlike you.

    >
    > I question the veracity of your claim. If you are afraid of repercussions
    > from your participation in the newsgroup, then you are admitting that you
    > would not say the same things IRL.


    Bull****. IRL I could say anything I like to your face. I'd know
    exactly who you are, where you are. You'd be here, in my face. You
    gave me **** IRL, I'd be able to sort it out with you IRL.

    But in ngs like this, some people get up to all kinds of sneaky
    ****... like finding out folk's personal details and posting them on
    the internet for all the spammers and crooks to play with.

    You say your name is Erik Funkenbusch. Well, you may be full of
    crap. It's a bloody stupid name. So you've been using it online
    awhile - so what? I use the name dapunka, everyone knows that ain't
    real. But if I called myself Erik Funkenpunka, maybe I could pretend
    it's my real name and diss people who use pseudonyms.


  3. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 12 Nov, 06:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:

    > To use your analogy of a "warzone", international law requires soldiers to
    > wear uniforms and properly identify themselves, so their actions can be
    > properly attributed to them and their army. Otherwise, you have a bunch of
    > guys running around, looking like normal citizens, causing havok, and
    > there's often no way to tell which side they're on or who was responsible.


    In war, soldiers wear uniform, sure - but they also have a measure of
    identification protection. If a pte justifiably shoots a terrorist in
    Iraq, and all the other terrorists ask the army for the name and home
    address of the shooter, they won't get too far. Special forces wear
    balaclavas to hide their identity as well provide flash protection.

    In the warzone of COLA, you are the terrorist.


  4. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:28:59 -0800, dapunka wrote:

    > On 12 Nov, 06:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To use your analogy of a "warzone", international law requires soldiers to
    >> wear uniforms and properly identify themselves, so their actions can be
    >> properly attributed to them and their army. Otherwise, you have a bunch of
    >> guys running around, looking like normal citizens, causing havok, and
    >> there's often no way to tell which side they're on or who was responsible.

    >
    > In war, soldiers wear uniform, sure - but they also have a measure of
    > identification protection. If a pte justifiably shoots a terrorist in
    > Iraq, and all the other terrorists ask the army for the name and home
    > address of the shooter, they won't get too far. Special forces wear
    > balaclavas to hide their identity as well provide flash protection.
    >
    > In the warzone of COLA, you are the terrorist.


    Really? I'm the terrorist. Simply because you disagree with me.

    Nice.

  5. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    dapunka espoused:
    >
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:26 -0800, dapunka wrote:
    >>
    >> > On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    >> > wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >> I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    >> >> have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    >> >> like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    >> >> like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    >> >>
    >> >> At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    >> >> their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    >> >> real life.
    >> >
    >> > That's just after-the-fact self-justification Erik. The reason people
    >> > use noms de guerre in ngs like this is because ngs like this are /
    >> > like/ bloody wars... I don't say **** here I wouldn't say IRL. But
    >> > certain folk here (I'm looking at /you/!) who dislike something I say
    >> > may want to cause me crap. I dunno why, I guess ass-holery just comes
    >> > naturally to some. So I use an obscure pseudonym and a disposable
    >> > gmail account. Doesn't mean I'm up to anything bad. Unlike you.

    >>
    >> I question the veracity of your claim. If you are afraid of repercussions
    >> from your participation in the newsgroup, then you are admitting that you
    >> would not say the same things IRL.

    >
    > Bull****. IRL I could say anything I like to your face. I'd know
    > exactly who you are, where you are. You'd be here, in my face. You
    > gave me **** IRL, I'd be able to sort it out with you IRL.
    >
    > But in ngs like this, some people get up to all kinds of sneaky
    > ****... like finding out folk's personal details and posting them on
    > the internet for all the spammers and crooks to play with.
    >
    > You say your name is Erik Funkenbusch. Well, you may be full of
    > crap. It's a bloody stupid name. So you've been using it online
    > awhile - so what? I use the name dapunka, everyone knows that ain't
    > real. But if I called myself Erik Funkenpunka, maybe I could pretend
    > it's my real name and diss people who use pseudonyms.
    >


    We know what effort Erik and friends will go to in order to stop good
    material being posted here. Just look at the problems they caused Roy
    at UMIST (or is it UoM?), so much that I ended up offering him access to
    my leafnode.

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  6. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    After takin' a swig o' grog, dapunka belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 10 Nov, 18:48, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> And it feels like OpenOffice has gotten even faster lately, anyway. I
    >> like using it, even though some of the mousing is a bit klunkier than in
    >> Tu^H^HWord.

    >
    > Gah! A pox on OOo! I've been using the OO word processor rather
    > heavily lately, and I'm sick of it. I guess it's okay if you're not
    > in a hurry...


    Odd. It works fine for me. Just used it for 30-page slide-show using
    our corporate template.

    > I think I'm gonna check out Abiword. The OpenOffice is now closed!


    Maybe you need to start doing PDFs.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. lying CUNT Erik Funkenbusch admits to ..

    On 10 Nov, 22:21, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:

    > A long time ago, when he was posting from his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting and tax records ..


    Admits to trawling public records to dig up dirt on people who
    contradict him ..

    > In any event, recently he was posting as "gary stweart's vagina", which was obvious because he was using a similar proxy, posting style (such as using "--->>>") and attacking people he normally attacks.


    Where do you post from, you lying cunting prick of a Microsoft
    astroturfer ...


  8. funkenbusch is a lying CUNT ..

    On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:

    > The reason, at the time, was clear. He was being abusive and stalking

    Simon Cooke, calling and emailing his employer in an attempt to get
    him
    fired ..

    You lying cunt, Cooke called for the personal details of me and a
    number of other posters, in retaliation one of his on-line-buddies
    posted his details on another forum. Cooke brought the subject up
    here, I felt it only fair to return the compliment.

    > He was trying to use anonyminity to prevent legal consequences for his actions.


    What legal action are you refering to, please provide citations as to
    these allegations.

    > you can say whatever you like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you, like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.


    What prick posted personal details of someone after he beat you up too
    many times.

    > At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use

    their real names .. You'll also note that nobody has ever tried to
    "stalk" them

    You forgot to mention your personal crusade against Roy S. Folks this
    is what the FunkenTROLL is about when you contradict him. What a total
    prick and a polutant on the gene pool.

    --

    How about this, anyone here got any dirt on Funkenbusch I can post to
    the Internet, cash paid !!


  9. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:21:27 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > We know what effort Erik and friends will go to in order to stop good
    > material being posted here. Just look at the problems they caused Roy
    > at UMIST (or is it UoM?), so much that I ended up offering him access to
    > my leafnode.


    I did nothing of the sort, Mark. Why lie like that?

  10. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:21:27 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> We know what effort Erik and friends will go to in order to stop good
    >> material being posted here. Just look at the problems they caused Roy
    >> at UMIST (or is it UoM?), so much that I ended up offering him access to
    >> my leafnode.

    >
    > I did nothing of the sort, Mark. Why lie like that?


    You tried your very "best" to portray him as a thief of IP

    And your digging up of Rex Balllards story wasn't exactly one of
    your "highlights".
    In fact, it served well to show what low life scum you are

    Face it, Erik, when it comes to compare you to flatfish or DFS, you are just
    as disgusting filthy as they are.
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.


  11. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:50:15 +0100, Peter KŲhlmann wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:21:27 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> We know what effort Erik and friends will go to in order to stop good
    >>> material being posted here. Just look at the problems they caused Roy
    >>> at UMIST (or is it UoM?), so much that I ended up offering him access to
    >>> my leafnode.

    >>
    >> I did nothing of the sort, Mark. Why lie like that?

    >
    > You tried your very "best" to portray him as a thief of IP


    If I was wrong, why did he take down the image in question? Because the
    rightful owner of the work contacted his ISP and demanded his infringing
    work be taken down.

    And I never called him a thief. Copyright infringement isn't theft. I
    called him a pirate.

    > And your digging up of Rex Balllards story wasn't exactly one of
    > your "highlights".


    He posted that information publicly to usenet himself. We've been through
    that situation dozens of times now. I've appologized to him. He's
    accepted. Why don't you just move on?

    > In fact, it served well to show what low life scum you are


    No, it showed a lapse in judgement on my part. You're not pristine
    yourself, you know.

    > Face it, Erik, when it comes to compare you to flatfish or DFS, you are just
    > as disgusting filthy as they are.


    What makes you such an angry and vitriolic person? You're going to have a
    heart attack if you keep this up.

  12. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:50:15 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    < snip >

    >> Face it, Erik, when it comes to compare you to flatfish or DFS, you are
    >> just as disgusting filthy as they are.

    >
    > What makes you such an angry and vitriolic person?


    You and your gang of filthy trailer trash invading linux groups for no good
    reason
    You are one of the worst liars in usenet history, and you ask why you are
    attacked?

    > You're going to have a heart attack if you keep this up.


    Hardly

    --
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.


  13. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 2007-11-12, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> I did nothing of the sort, Mark. Why lie like that?

    >
    > You tried your very "best" to portray him as a thief of IP


    Roy used an artist's work, without permission,in a manner that reduced
    that artist's ability to license the work to others, and took a long
    time to stop when this was brought to his attention. How else would you
    portray that?


  14. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Nov 12, 1:55 am, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:07:26 -0800, dapunka wrote:
    > > On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >

    >
    > >> I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    > >> have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    > >> like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    > >> like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.

    >
    > >> At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    > >> their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    > >> real life.

    >
    > > That's just after-the-fact self-justification Erik. The reason people
    > > use noms de guerre in ngs like this is because ngs like this are /
    > > like/ bloody wars... I don't say **** here I wouldn't say IRL. But
    > > certain folk here (I'm looking at /you/!) who dislike something I say
    > > may want to cause me crap. I dunno why, I guess ass-holery just comes
    > > naturally to some. So I use an obscure pseudonym and a disposable
    > > gmail account. Doesn't mean I'm up to anything bad. Unlike you.

    >
    > I question the veracity of your claim. If you are afraid of repercussions
    > from your participation in the newsgroup, then you are admitting that you
    > would not say the same things IRL.


    I don't think so. You are no more "Erik Funkenbusch" to me, than I am
    "cc" to you. That goes for Petey Kohlmann, Jim Richardson, etc. I act
    the same way here as I do in the normal world, but people can (and
    will, just look at this place), do a lot of dick things just because
    they know your name online. In real life it's harder to do that kind
    of thing, at least anonymously, and there are generally much harsher
    repercussions.


  15. self confessed Usenet stalker Tim Smith wrote ..

    On 12 Nov, 23:45, Tim Smith wrote:

    > Roy used an artist's work, without permission .. and took a long time to stop when this was brought to his attention ..


    In other words, you and the rest of the shills took to stalking him on
    his own blog. So much for keeping it in COLA ...

    --

    anyone here who objects to what I am about here, please **** off in
    advance ...


  16. Re: self confessed Usenet stalker Tim Smith wrote ..

    Doug Mentohl espoused:
    > On 12 Nov, 23:45, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Roy used an artist's work, without permission .. and took a long time to stop when this was brought to his attention ..

    >
    > In other words, you and the rest of the shills took to stalking him on
    > his own blog. So much for keeping it in COLA ...
    >


    I don't think Timmy and friends would balk at any kind of stalking,
    anywhere.

    --
    | Mark Kent -- mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | My (new) blog: http://www.thereisnomagic.org |

  17. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On 2007-11-09 06:38, DFS wrote:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:36:55 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>> you are not a true geek.
    >>> And I'm not a freak murderer either like Hans Reiser.

    >> He's been convicted, right? I mean, you wouldn't be such an insufferable
    >> little prick as to refer to someone as a "freak murderer" unless he'd
    >> actually been proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt, would you?
    >>
    >> Funny, the conviction wasn't listed in the news update I saw today.

    >
    >
    > A conviction in court has no relevance whatsoever to the fact that he's a
    > freak Linux murderer.
    >
    > Linux/OSS is very relevant, however; had he worked as a commercial developer
    > he wouldn't have been $200,000 in debt and desperate. He would have had
    > the peace of mind to deal with his marital problems more amicably than
    > bludgeoning or stabbing his wife to death.
    >
    >
    >
    >


    And nobody had even heard his name, so you will never know how many
    convicted that wrote your softweare, other then the company itself is.

    /bb

  18. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    birre wrote:

    > And nobody had even heard his name, so you will never know how many
    > convicted that wrote your softweare, other then the company itself is.


    English not your 1st or 2nd language, eh?




  19. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On 2007-11-09, DFS wrote:
    > dapunka wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I'm not the kind of **** to decide someone's a murderer just cos a TV
    >> programme presents him as a wacko.

    >
    > I didn't see the 20/20 program.
    >
    >> Any idiot knows that creative
    >> editing and selective choice of footage can make anyone look however
    >> you want them too.
    >>
    >> But anyway, as for the "Linux/OSS is very relevant" crap: there have
    >> been plenty of cases where wealthy, "successful" types have bumped off
    >> their other halves. There have been rich folk who've done it just to
    >> become richer...

    >
    > And there are a *lot* more cases where poor people have committed such
    > crimes.


    That's pretty obvious.

    There are a LOT more poor people.

    Even if the murder rate among the ultrawealthy is remarkably
    higher you're still going to see a much larger bulk of low
    class criminals.

    [deletia]

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On 2007-11-16, HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote
    >> Even if the murder rate among the ultrawealthy is remarkably
    >> higher you're still going to see a much larger bulk of low
    >> class criminals.

    >
    > I fail to see the motivation for AmeriKKKan criminality.


    What are you? Vulcan?

    Try starting at motivations of passion or gain.

    >
    > Ignorance, self loathing, and an excess of time is the only legitimate
    > answer I can see.
    >
    >



    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast