Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now - Linux

This is a discussion on Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now - Linux ; On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:20:12 +0000, Tim Smith wrote: > On 2007-11-09, Kier wrote: >> Er - how does that work? Unless he's convicted of the crime, in the law's >> eyes he is innocent. Or don't you believe ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

  1. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:20:12 +0000, Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-11-09, Kier wrote:
    >> Er - how does that work? Unless he's convicted of the crime, in the law's
    >> eyes he is innocent. Or don't you believe in the principle of 'innocent

    > Would you take the position, then, that Al Capone did not commit any
    > serious crimes other than income tax evasion?

    Of course not. But Capone had a long career of gangsterism behind him
    before he was convicted of tax evasion. To the best of anyone's knowledge,
    Mr Reiser has (or may have) committed exactly ONE murder. DFS, in his
    usual unpleasant way has decided to convict him, merely because he is a a
    Linux developer.

    > I'd say someone is a murderer the moment they commit a murder. They are
    > not a *convicted* murderer until a court of law convicts them.

    I don't disagree. But even a murderer has the right to an impartial trial.
    I was recently called to do jury service, though in the end I wasn't
    picked for a jury. But during the first day, when we were told about our
    duties, it was strongly emphasised that the defendant should be tried
    *only* on the evidence put forward.

    Personally, I believe Hans Reiser probably did kill his wife. That still
    doesn't give DFS the right to call him a Linux freak murderer.

    --
    Kier

  2. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On 9 Nov, 14:32, DFS wrote:
    > dapunka wrote:
    > > I'm not the kind of **** to decide someone's a murderer just cos a TV
    > > programme presents him as a wacko.

    > I didn't see the 20/20 program.
    >
    > > Any idiot knows that creative
    > > editing and selective choice of footage can make anyone look however
    > > you want them too.

    > > But anyway, as for the "Linux/OSS is very relevant" crap: there have
    > > been plenty of cases where wealthy, "successful" types have bumped off
    > > their other halves. There have been rich folk who've done it just to
    > > become richer...

    > And there are a *lot* more cases where poor people have committed such
    > crimes.

    So what?

    > > I don't know if Reiser did ****. Don't much care either - people die
    > > all the time. It rains. Wear a ****ing hat. Point is, Linux-haters
    > > jumping on an anti-Reiser bandwagon cos the guy's an OSS developer is
    > > weak. Grow the **** up.

    > You ignore years of similar behavior by cola nutcases? Good cola dog,
    > dapunka! Good dog!

    Dunno about "years of similar behaviour by cola nutcases" - I haven't
    been reading this ng for years, and the only cola nutcases I've
    noticed jumping on the anti-Reiser bandwagon are you and Hadron.

    Seriously though: you're an idiot.

  3. smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Would ..

  4. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Well, in a way Linux will make you do crazy things.

    > Like pretend it will *ever* supplant commercial code.

    Like this one?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=6085

    Cray shows off new Linux supercomputers
    What would you do with 768 CPU cores?

    By Tom Jowitt

    Cray has introduced a family of supercomputers based on the Linux
    operating system.

    Windows in Cray systems?

    Furgeddaboutit! Would they still give this break on 768 cores?

    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/h...multicore.mspx

    > Seems to me the Linux users here on cola are mostly broke, and that's why
    > they use Linux in the first place. Where's their bank? Where's yours?

    Here's a quarter, DFS. Go buy yourself a better computer.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:04:58 GMT, Linonut wrote:

    >Windows in Cray systems?

    >Furgeddaboutit! Would they still give this break on 768 cores?

    > http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/h...multicore.mspx

    Windows would still crawl and have frequent 10-40 second lockups on the
    desktop. It would need a full terabyte of ram and still spend most of
    it's time thrashing.

  6. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug Mentohl.

    If you didn't want people to know that Doug Mentohl is Daeron, maybe you
    should not have used your doug.mentohl@gmail.com or doug_mentohl@yahoo.co.uk
    email addresses when posting as Daeron:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....15dcac3f809b38
    ?dmode=source>

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....87d335548df82c
    ?dmode=source>

    It would have also helped if you had not replied with one name to posts that
    were in response to posts you did under the other name.

    BTW, I'm not the only person here who still calls you Daeron (it is easier
    to type than Doug Mentohl). In perhaps the only time Mark Kent and I have
    been in agreement, he too calls you Daeron:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp....cc84260810060b
    ?dmode=source>

  7. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:12:18 -0000, Tim Smith wrote:

    > Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug Mentohl.

    He is a nymshifter, though. Besides that. Honestly, I don't even think
    Doug Mentohl is his real name. A long time ago, when he was posting from
    his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting
    and tax records and couldn't even come up with anyone named Mentohl as a
    real name living in the UK.

    He might, however, have been living in london on a visa or illegally. Soon
    after that he started posting from open proxies, so people wouldn't know
    where he's posting from.

    In any event, recently he was posting as "gary stweart's vagina", which was
    obvious because he was using a similar proxy, posting style (such as using
    "--->>>") and attacking people he normally attacks.

  8. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    Kier espoused:

    > Personally, I believe Hans Reiser probably did kill his wife. That still
    > doesn't give DFS the right to

    Stop trolling Kier, particularly on a subject as sad as this one is.
    You really should know better. Where were you when the morals were
    handed out?

  9. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:58:42 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Kier espoused:
    >>
    >> Personally, I believe Hans Reiser probably did kill his wife. That still
    >> doesn't give DFS the right to
    >>

    > Stop trolling Kier, particularly on a subject as sad as this one is.

    What the ****? Are you ****ing mad? I protest DFS's vile posts about Hans
    Reiser, and you call *me* a troll?

    > You really should know better. Where were you when the morals were
    > handed out?

    Where were you?

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug
    > Mentohl.
    >
    > If you didn't want people to know that Doug Mentohl is Daeron, maybe
    > you should not have used your doug.ment...@gmail.com or
    > doug_ment...@yahoo.co.uk email addresses when posting as Daeron:

    Who in the freakin' goodness of COLA cares what you think of an
    advocate?

    --
    HPT

  11. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 2007-11-11, owl claimed:
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:12:18 -0000, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug Mentohl.

    >> He is a nymshifter, though. Besides that. Honestly, I don't even think
    >> Doug Mentohl is his real name. A long time ago, when he was posting from
    >> his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting
    >> and tax records and couldn't even come up with anyone named Mentohl as a
    >> real name living in the UK.
    >>

    > That sort of stalking is what makes people hide their identities in the
    > first place. Why do you feel a need to know anything at all about a
    > usenet poster's real life?

    Presumably that's why he wanted my real name awhile back, too. I
    expected he'd do some searching. I also expected he wouldn't find a
    lot.

    No doubt he uses his masters' database to store everything. MS has a
    huge quantity of information on everybody* almost as big as Echelon,
    run by the NSA. The difference is, they have semi-competent people
    going over things gathered by Echelon. MS just widens the black hole to
    suck in more and more stuff that they can't ever hope to sift through.

    Just look at all of the crash reports (are they *really* not sent just
    because you click the "Don't Send" button?) that have gone to them for
    several yeras. Is there _any_ evidence that MS've acted to repair
    anything? No, the reports just get sucked in and lost in a bottomless
    pit, where no human will ever come into contact with them again.

    Unless they're trying to extract some personal tidbits about somebody.
    Some things that truly evil people or companies might use for such
    things as, oh, I don't know, maybe blackmail. Or personal destruction.

    Anyway, Erik is a worthless POS. No, I take that back. Erik is _not_ a
    worthless POS. He's far worse than that. He has no morals or scruples
    when it comes to pleasing Blammer & Co.

    * Google (or otherwise search on another engine) for information
    contained in edited documents and files created by MS products.
    Information that was supposedly deleted but can be retrieved.
    Information that can, and has been, extracted from files to reveal
    bargaining secrets and personal information. Information that is also
    contained in the mountainous crash reports that have been sent to MS
    over the years when applications crashed.

    --
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.

  12. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 10 Nov, 22:21, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:12:18 -0000, Tim Smith wrote:
    > > Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug Mentohl.

    > He is a nymshifter, though. Besides that. Honestly, I don't even think
    > Doug Mentohl is his real name. A long time ago, when he was posting from
    > his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting
    > and tax records and couldn't even come up with anyone named Mentohl as a
    > real name living in the UK.

    Guess what... dapunka isn't my real name. Is Erik Funkenbusch your
    real name?

  13. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Nov 11, 6:55 am, dapunka wrote:
    > On 10 Nov, 22:21, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:12:18 -0000, Tim Smith wrote:
    > > > Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug Mentohl.

    > > He is a nymshifter, though. Besides that. Honestly, I don't even think
    > > Doug Mentohl is his real name. A long time ago, when he was posting from
    > > his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting
    > > and tax records and couldn't even come up with anyone named Mentohl as a
    > > real name living in the UK.

    > Guess what... dapunka isn't my real name. Is Erik Funkenbusch your
    > real name?

    cc is my real name. Raise your fist and resist!

  14. Re: Hans Reiser story on 20/20 right now

    [snips]

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:04:58 +0000, Linonut wrote:

    >>> Well, in a way Linux will make you do crazy things.

    >> Like pretend it will *ever* supplant commercial code.

    > Like this one?
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=6085
    >
    > Cray shows off new Linux supercomputers
    > What would you do with 768 CPU cores?

    Watch 766 of them sit idle because your Home Basic Edition license doesn't
    support 'em?

  15. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:20:38 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2007-11-11, owl claimed:
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> He is a nymshifter, though. Besides that. Honestly, I don't even think
    >>> Doug Mentohl is his real name. A long time ago, when he was posting from
    >>> his internet cafe joe job in London, I did some basic searches of UK voting
    >>> and tax records and couldn't even come up with anyone named Mentohl as a
    >>> real name living in the UK.
    >>>

    >> That sort of stalking is what makes people hide their identities in the
    >> first place. Why do you feel a need to know anything at all about a
    >> usenet poster's real life?

    This message hasn't made it to my news server.

    The reason, at the time, was clear. He was being abusive and stalking
    Simon Cooke, calling and emailing his employer in an attempt to get him
    fired, and being a real douche bag. He was trying to use anonyminity to
    prevent legal consequences for his actions.

    > Presumably that's why he wanted my real name awhile back, too. I
    > expected he'd do some searching. I also expected he wouldn't find a
    > lot.

    No, "presumably" I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.

    At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    real life. You'll also note that nobody has ever tried to "stalk" them.
    Because, even if people don't agree with them, at least they're posting
    honestly, and they act responsibly, unlike you and daeron.

  16. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 2007-11-11, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:20:38 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    >>> That sort of stalking is what makes people hide their identities in the
    >>> first place. Why do you feel a need to know anything at all about a
    >>> usenet poster's real life?

    > This message hasn't made it to my news server.
    >
    > The reason, at the time, was clear. He was being abusive and stalking
    > Simon Cooke, calling and emailing his employer in an attempt to get him
    > fired, and being a real douche bag. He was trying to use anonyminity to
    > prevent legal consequences for his actions.
    >
    >> Presumably that's why he wanted my real name awhile back, too. I
    >> expected he'd do some searching. I also expected he wouldn't find a
    >> lot.

    > No, "presumably" I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    > have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    > like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    > like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    >
    > At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    > their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    > real life. You'll also note that nobody has ever tried to "stalk" them.
    > Because, even if people don't agree with them, at least they're posting
    > honestly, and they act responsibly, unlike you and daeron.

    And I used my initials. And I announced my name. More than once. And
    I've been called by my name, as though it was going to do me great harm
    to have my name used, by the aforementioned Simeon Kooke, as well as by
    others.

    I just took SM back whenever a troll thought he could pick it up and
    run with it.

    That is neither here nor there. I'm an asshole because I'm an asshole,
    not because I think I'm hiding. I'm an asshole in real life, too, in
    most situations. I'm selective about being an asshole *to* someone, not
    *when* I'm going to be one.

    Why do names bother you so, Erik? That really _is_ your name, isn't it?
    How do I know that it is? Because a website says so? I've had several
    that said I was various names, including my real one. How can I know
    you aren't doing the same thing?

    Is all of this concern about real names because it makes it harder for
    you to search out trash on people? Or maybe because you think "they"
    really /are/ out to get you?

    --
    When you get there, there's no there there.

  17. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:22:10 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > That is neither here nor there. I'm an asshole because I'm an asshole,
    > not because I think I'm hiding. I'm an asshole in real life, too, in
    > most situations. I'm selective about being an asshole *to* someone, not
    > *when* I'm going to be one.

    Nice outlook there.

    > Why do names bother you so, Erik? That really _is_ your name, isn't it?

    Considering i've been posting under this name to usenet for more than 15
    years, that'd be awfully forward thinking of me, don't you think. Not to
    mention that various people have stalked me enough to find previous
    employers and addresses.

    So why pretend otherwise?

    > How do I know that it is? Because a website says so? I've had several
    > that said I was various names, including my real one. How can I know
    > you aren't doing the same thing?

    It's called having a history in the real world.

    > Is all of this concern about real names because it makes it harder for
    > you to search out trash on people? Or maybe because you think "they"
    > really /are/ out to get you?

    No, I just don't like people that use anonyminity to allow them to do
    things they wouldn't do if they were signing their real name.

  18. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:20:38 -0600, Sinister Midget wrote:

    >>> That sort of stalking is what makes people hide their identities in the
    >>> first place. Why do you feel a need to know anything at all about a
    >>> usenet poster's real life?

    > This message hasn't made it to my news server.
    >
    > The reason, at the time, was clear. He was being abusive and stalking
    > Simon Cooke, calling and emailing his employer in an attempt to get him
    > fired, and being a real douche bag. He was trying to use anonyminity to
    > prevent legal consequences for his actions.

    What would *you* do with information you found on somebody during one
    of your stalking sessions?

    >> Presumably that's why he wanted my real name awhile back, too. I
    >> expected he'd do some searching. I also expected he wouldn't find a
    >> lot.

    > No, "presumably" I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    > have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    > like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    > like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    >
    > At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    > their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    > real life. You'll also note that nobody has ever tried to "stalk" them.
    > Because, even if people don't agree with them, at least they're posting
    > honestly, and they act responsibly, unlike you and daeron.

    What makes you think that any of those people are posting under real
    names? Just because their nyms resemble "normal" names? Surely you're
    not that naive. But really, the main question is, why do you even
    *care* that those are their real names? This is usenet. Who gives a
    ****.

    Christ, I'd rather be talking to a troll than a self-righteous stalking
    kook. At least they have a sense of humor.

  19. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Daeron seems to be annoyed that I called him Daeron instead of Doug
    >> Mentohl.
    >>
    >> If you didn't want people to know that Doug Mentohl is Daeron, maybe
    >> you should not have used your doug.ment...@gmail.com or
    >> doug_ment...@yahoo.co.uk email addresses when posting as Daeron:

    > Who in the freakin' goodness of COLA cares what you think of an
    > advocate?

    Dog mental is an advocate?!?!?!?! I thought he was a loony. Oh yes.
    COLA. Synonymous.

    --
    Un amigo fiel es un alma en dos cuerpos.
    -- Aristóteles. (384-322 A.C.) Filósofo griego.

  20. Re: smith, where's the proof I nymshift here ..

    On 11 Nov, 17:55, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:

    > I don't take people that use pseudonyms seriously. You
    > have no consequences to your words or actions, and you can say whatever you
    > like without fear of it ever coming back to haunt you. That's why you,
    > like Daeron, are such a prick all the time.
    >
    > At least people like Peter K, Jim Richardson, etc.. have the balls to use
    > their real names. And as such, they don't say things they wouldn't say in
    > real life.

    That's just after-the-fact self-justification Erik. The reason people
    use noms de guerre in ngs like this is because ngs like this are /
    like/ bloody wars... I don't say **** here I wouldn't say IRL. But
    certain folk here (I'm looking at /you/!) who dislike something I say
    may want to cause me crap. I dunno why, I guess ass-holery just comes
    naturally to some. So I use an obscure pseudonym and a disposable
    gmail account. Doesn't mean I'm up to anything bad. Unlike you.