[News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode - Linux ; Fab at Home, Open-Source 3D Printer, Lets Users Make Anything ,----[ Quote ] | They developed a low-cost, open-source fabbing system—Fab at Home—and | encouraged experimentation by starting an online wiki for hobbyists. People | report printing with everything from ...

  1. [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode

    Fab at Home, Open-Source 3D Printer, Lets Users Make Anything

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They developed a low-cost, open-source fabbing system—Fab at Home—and
    | encouraged experimentation by starting an online wiki for hobbyists. People
    | report printing with everything from food (Easy Cheese, chocolate), to epoxy,
    | to metal-powder-impregnated silicone to make conductive wires.
    `----

    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4224759.html

    Open Source Alternatives To Geek Squad

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now some people, like myself, prefer a real PC. Some of these same users may
    | even be interested in seeing if Linux is a match for them. Because as far as
    | I am concerned, there is no reason why someone should ever have to call for a
    | software/malware related incident. And with a pre-installed Linux box,
    | properly locked down, there doesn't have to be.
    `----

    http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic...11_01_07a.html

    Related:

    Desktop fabricator may kick-start home revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A cheap self-assembly device capable of fabricating 3D objects
    | has been developed by US researchers. They hope the machine
    | could kick start a revolution in home fabrication --
    | or "rapid prototyping" -- just as early computer kits sparked
    | an explosion in home computing.
    `----

    http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...volution.html#

  2. Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open SourceMode

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:39:21 +0000
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Fab at Home, Open-Source 3D Printer, Lets Users Make Anything
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | They developed a low-cost, open-source fabbing system—Fab at
    > Home—and | encouraged experimentation by starting an online wiki for
    > hobbyists. People | report printing with everything from food (Easy
    > Cheese, chocolate), to epoxy, | to metal-powder-impregnated silicone
    > to make conductive wires. `----
    >
    > http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4224759.html

    This is super cool! These guys have taken, what appears to me, some
    concepts from cheapo ink jet printers and turned it into a brilliant
    piece of innovation.

    Sure, it's just hacking around with some commodity parts and ideas, but
    it's great that they're doing it for everyone.

    The lead guy appears to really like chocolate, and that's great too,
    why shouldn't people just whack some cooking chocolate in there with a
    heating element and have their own names and stuff to eat :-) Sounds
    like a great idea for parties!

  3. Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode

    ed espoused:
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:39:21 +0000
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Fab at Home, Open-Source 3D Printer, Lets Users Make Anything
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | They developed a low-cost, open-source fabbing system?Fab at
    >> Home?and | encouraged experimentation by starting an online wiki for
    >> hobbyists. People | report printing with everything from food (Easy
    >> Cheese, chocolate), to epoxy, | to metal-powder-impregnated silicone
    >> to make conductive wires. `----
    >>
    >> http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4224759.html

    > This is super cool! These guys have taken, what appears to me, some
    > concepts from cheapo ink jet printers and turned it into a brilliant
    > piece of innovation.
    >
    > Sure, it's just hacking around with some commodity parts and ideas, but
    > it's great that they're doing it for everyone.
    >
    > The lead guy appears to really like chocolate, and that's great too,
    > why shouldn't people just whack some cooking chocolate in there with a
    > heating element and have their own names and stuff to eat :-) Sounds
    > like a great idea for parties!

    I rather like the idea myself, and I'm wondering if I could get one to
    play with. As you say, choccy objects could be great fun, but there are
    also some good possible serious uses. If you could get hold of the
    right grade of plastic, it could be possible to effect repairs to some
    devices which are otherwise unattemptable.

  4. Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open SourceMode

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:21:15 +0000
    Mark Kent wrote:

    > I rather like the idea myself, and I'm wondering if I could get one to
    > play with. As you say, choccy objects could be great fun, but there
    > are also some good possible serious uses. If you could get hold of
    > the right grade of plastic, it could be possible to effect repairs to
    > some devices which are otherwise unattemptable.

    Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't know if the plastic has to be the
    right grade. Often creating the shape is much more important than it
    having the exact properties of the original.

    Ironically, you could probably manufacture yourself a replacement
    inkjet cartridge.

  5. Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode

    ed espoused:
    > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:21:15 +0000
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> I rather like the idea myself, and I'm wondering if I could get one to
    >> play with. As you say, choccy objects could be great fun, but there
    >> are also some good possible serious uses. If you could get hold of
    >> the right grade of plastic, it could be possible to effect repairs to
    >> some devices which are otherwise unattemptable.

    > Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't know if the plastic has to be the
    > right grade. Often creating the shape is much more important than it
    > having the exact properties of the original.

    I've done some plastics repairs in the past with heat guns and such
    like, but it's not easy that way. As you say, the grade probably isn't
    all that critical if the component is not load bearing.

    > Ironically, you could probably manufacture yourself a replacement
    > inkjet cartridge.

    What a fascinating idea!

  6. Re: [News] Revolusionary 3D Printer and Geek Squad in Open Source Mode

    ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 04 November 2007 09:39 : \____

    > ed espoused:
    >> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 14:21:15 +0000
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> I rather like the idea myself, and I'm wondering if I could get one to
    >>> play with. As you say, choccy objects could be great fun, but there
    >>> are also some good possible serious uses. If you could get hold of
    >>> the right grade of plastic, it could be possible to effect repairs to
    >>> some devices which are otherwise unattemptable.

    >> Yeah, that's a good idea. I don't know if the plastic has to be the
    >> right grade. Often creating the shape is much more important than it
    >> having the exact properties of the original.

    > I've done some plastics repairs in the past with heat guns and such
    > like, but it's not easy that way. As you say, the grade probably isn't
    > all that critical if the component is not load bearing.
    >

    >> Ironically, you could probably manufacture yourself a replacement
    >> inkjet cartridge.

    Given the price of inkjet cartridges for production in 2-D, the knees weaken
    upon the thought of 3-D capacity.

    > What a fascinating idea!

    Maybe it's the beginning of something wonderful that will materialise and
    become popular within decades. Humanoids are another thing to keep an eye on.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null