[News] [Rival] Microsoft Already Failing at the Olympic Games - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Already Failing at the Olympic Games - Linux ; Olympic computers crash at second hurdle ,----[ Quote ] | ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the Olympic | Games' computer system crashed. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-crash-second Guess who is the special partner for this system? It's all ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    Olympic computers crash at second hurdle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the Olympic
    | Games' computer system crashed.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-crash-second

    Guess who is the special partner for this system? It's all Microsoft. Sadly,
    for Microsoft, the Olympic Games' committee (or whatever) has already rejected
    Vista. They'll use XP even though in early 2008 XP will have been withdrawn.
    They bought laptops in advance, from Lenovo, IIRC, in order to escape the
    wrath of the malware called "Vista".

    Related (read in sequence):

    Microsoft to take part in the Olympic Games in 2008 with Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On Friday in Beijing, the organizational committee for the Olympic Games
    | 2008 and Microsoft China announced that the software vendor would be an
    | official software supplier to the Games, which will be held the capital
    | city of China.
    `----

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
    | important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
    | the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo. *
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Olympic computers crash at second hurdle
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    > | Olympic Games' computer system crashed.
    > `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-crash-second

    > Guess who is the special partner for this system? It's all Microsoft.
    > Sadly, for Microsoft, the Olympic Games' committee (or whatever) has
    > already rejected Vista. They'll use XP even though in early 2008 XP will
    > have been withdrawn. They bought laptops in advance, from Lenovo, IIRC, in
    > order to escape the wrath of the malware called "Vista".

    Since when is a Windows crash news? We need a different tag for this sort
    of thing - how about "thud"?

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Olympic computers crash at second hurdle
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    > Olympic
    > | Games' computer system crashed.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-crash-second
    >
    > Guess who is the special partner for this system? It's all Microsoft.

    Once again Roy Schestowitz proves his stupidity. Microsoft may be a
    "partner" for the Olympics but this does NOT mean they are the ones selling
    the tickets. Let's see what the article in the link says:

    ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    Olympic Games' computer system crashed.
    Many people were unable to submit their applications for tickets, the
    committee said.

    So it's the ticket sales site that crashed. Hmmm.... what would that be:

    http://en.olympic.cn/08beijing/bocog...6/1115831.html

    Official Site of the Chinese Olympic Committee

    Orders can be processed on the website (www.tickets.beijing2008.cn) and at
    1,000 designated Bank of China branches, but tickets will not be delivered
    until June 2008.

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...beijing2008.cn

    Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed
    Beijing Gehua Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache
    11-Sep-2007
    Beijing Gehua Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache
    15-Apr-2007

    That's right. Those CRASHING LINUX boxes sure are stinking up the Olympics.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:00:58 -0400, Bruce Banner wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Olympic computers crash at second hurdle
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    >> Olympic
    >> | Games' computer system crashed.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...11/01/olympic-

    computers-crash-second

    www.tickets.beijing2008.cn

    > Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed Beijing Gehua
    > Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache 11-Sep-2007
    > Beijing Gehua Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache
    > 15-Apr-2007
    >

    > That's right. Those CRASHING LINUX boxes sure are stinking up the
    > Olympics.

    Too bad you don't know what you are talking about:

    <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>

    "First-come, first-served ticket sales for the 2008 Beijing Olympics
    began and ended in one hour on Tuesday when the overwhelming demand
    crashed the server's database.

    Ticket sales for the Games were halted after demand proved to be far too
    much for the database to handle. The ticketing database could supposedly
    process 150,000 transactions an hour, but in just the first hour, the
    Games' site had 8 million hits, its hotline had 3.8 million calls, and
    200,000 orders were taken from customers."

    Maybe you can tell us what distro they were using. Or what database? Or
    who wrote the applications that crashed.

    Or maybe you'd just like to lie some more.... "Bruce".

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:00:58 -0400, Bruce Banner wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>> Olympic computers crash at second hurdle
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Olympic
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...11/01/olympic-

    > computers-crash-second
    >>>
    >>> Guess who is the special partner for this system? It's all Microsoft.

    >> Once again Roy Schestowitz proves his stupidity. Microsoft may be a
    >> "partner" for the Olympics but this does NOT mean they are the ones
    >> selling the tickets. Let's see what the article in the link says:
    >>

    >> ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    >> Olympic Games' computer system crashed. Many people were unable to
    >> submit their applications for tickets, the committee said.
    >>

    >> So it's the ticket sales site that crashed. Hmmm.... what would that be:
    >>

    >> http://en.olympic.cn/08beijing/bocog...6/1115831.html
    >>

    >> Official Site of the Chinese Olympic Committee
    >>
    >> Orders can be processed on the website (www.tickets.beijing2008.cn) and
    >> at 1,000 designated Bank of China branches, but tickets will not be
    >> delivered until June 2008.
    >>

    >> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://

    > www.tickets.beijing2008.cn
    >>
    >> Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed Beijing Gehua
    >> Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache 11-Sep-2007
    >> Beijing Gehua Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache
    >> 15-Apr-2007
    >>

    >> That's right. Those CRASHING LINUX boxes sure are stinking up the
    >> Olympics.

    > Too bad you don't know what you are talking about:
    >
    > <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    > Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>
    >
    > "First-come, first-served ticket sales for the 2008 Beijing Olympics
    > began and ended in one hour on Tuesday when the overwhelming demand
    > crashed the server's database.
    >
    > Ticket sales for the Games were halted after demand proved to be far too
    > much for the database to handle. The ticketing database could supposedly
    > process 150,000 transactions an hour, but in just the first hour, the
    > Games' site had 8 million hits, its hotline had 3.8 million calls, and
    > 200,000 orders were taken from customers."
    >

    > Maybe you can tell us what distro they were using. Or what database? Or
    > who wrote the applications that crashed.
    >
    > Or maybe you'd just like to lie some more.... "Bruce".

    Glad that you agree that the headline that Roy Schestowitz posted claiming
    that it's Windows that was crashing is complete and utter bull**** and
    lies. As usual.

    Fact is that these crashing servers were running linux. Once again, proving
    itself that it's incapable of getting the job done.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:29:46 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:00:58 -0400, Bruce Banner wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >> computers-crash-second

    >>> Once again Roy Schestowitz proves his stupidity. Microsoft may be a
    >>> "partner" for the Olympics but this does NOT mean they are the ones
    >>> selling the tickets. Let's see what the article in the link says:
    >>>

    >>> ONLY THIRTY minutes into the start of second-round ticket sales, the
    >>> Olympic Games' computer system crashed. Many people were unable to
    >>> submit their applications for tickets, the committee said.

    >>> So it's the ticket sales site that crashed. Hmmm.... what would that
    >>> be:
    >>>

    >>> http://en.olympic.cn/08beijing/bocog...6/1115831.html
    >>>

    >>> Official Site of the Chinese Olympic Committee
    >>>
    >>> Orders can be processed on the website (www.tickets.beijing2008.cn)
    >>> and at 1,000 designated Bank of China branches, but tickets will not
    >>> be delivered until June 2008.
    >>>

    >>> http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://

    >> www.tickets.beijing2008.cn
    >>>
    >>> Netblock Owner IP address OS Web Server Last changed Beijing Gehua
    >>> Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux Apache 11-Sep-2007
    >>> Beijing Gehua Ticketmaster Ticketing Ltd,Co 202.106.146.141 Linux
    >>> Apache 15-Apr-2007
    >>>

    >>> That's right. Those CRASHING LINUX boxes sure are stinking up the
    >>> Olympics.

    >> Too bad you don't know what you are talking about:
    >>
    >> <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    >> Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>
    >>
    >> "First-come, first-served ticket sales for the 2008 Beijing Olympics
    >> began and ended in one hour on Tuesday when the overwhelming demand
    >> crashed the server's database.
    >>
    >> Ticket sales for the Games were halted after demand proved to be far
    >> too much for the database to handle. The ticketing database could
    >> supposedly process 150,000 transactions an hour, but in just the first
    >> hour, the Games' site had 8 million hits, its hotline had 3.8 million
    >> calls, and 200,000 orders were taken from customers."
    >>

    >> Maybe you can tell us what distro they were using. Or what database? Or
    >> who wrote the applications that crashed.
    >>
    >> Or maybe you'd just like to lie some more.... "Bruce".
    >>

    > Glad that you agree that the headline that Roy Schestowitz posted
    > claiming that it's Windows that was crashing is complete and utter
    > bull**** and lies. As usual.

    Glad to see you are clueless. You may now explain how I can agree with
    something I didn't read.

    > Fact is that these crashing servers were running linux. Once again,
    > proving itself that it's incapable of getting the job done.

    Maybe you should read the articles instead of just lying, "Enzyte".

    As in, the applications were written to handle 150,000 transactions an
    hour, but had 8 million hits.

    <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:29:46 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> computers-crash-second

    >>> www.tickets.beijing2008.cn

    >>> Too bad you don't know what you are talking about:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    >>> Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>
    >>>
    >>> "First-come, first-served ticket sales for the 2008 Beijing Olympics
    >>> began and ended in one hour on Tuesday when the overwhelming demand
    >>> crashed the server's database.
    >>>
    >>> Ticket sales for the Games were halted after demand proved to be far
    >>> too much for the database to handle. The ticketing database could
    >>> supposedly process 150,000 transactions an hour, but in just the first
    >>> hour, the Games' site had 8 million hits, its hotline had 3.8 million
    >>> calls, and 200,000 orders were taken from customers."
    >>>

    >>> Maybe you can tell us what distro they were using. Or what database? Or
    >>> who wrote the applications that crashed.
    >>>
    >>> Or maybe you'd just like to lie some more.... "Bruce".
    >>>

    >> Glad that you agree that the headline that Roy Schestowitz posted
    >> claiming that it's Windows that was crashing is complete and utter
    >> bull**** and lies. As usual.

    > Glad to see you are clueless. You may now explain how I can agree with
    > something I didn't read.

    Wow Rick. This thread has 5-6 posts in it. And you're telling me that you
    are too stupid or lazy or both to read the post from Roy that started this
    thread? You know... the lie^h^h^ post claiming that it was a Windows
    machine that caused the web-site to get shut down.

    >> Fact is that these crashing servers were running linux. Once again,
    >> proving itself that it's incapable of getting the job done.

    > Maybe you should read the articles instead of just lying, "Enzyte".

    Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused the
    failure.

    > As in, the applications were written to handle 150,000 transactions an
    > hour, but had 8 million hits.

    Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused the
    failure.

    > <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    > Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>

    Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused the
    failure.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:02:55 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:29:46 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Glad that you agree that the headline that Roy Schestowitz posted
    >>> claiming that it's Windows that was crashing is complete and utter
    >>> bull**** and lies. As usual.

    >> Glad to see you are clueless. You may now explain how I can agree with
    >> something I didn't read.

    > Wow Rick. This thread has 5-6 posts in it. And you're telling me that
    > you are too stupid or lazy or both to read the post from Roy that
    > started this thread? You know... the lie^h^h^ post claiming that it was
    > a Windows machine that caused the web-site to get shut down.

    Wow, "Enzyte" I just don't feel like reading it.

    Windows machine or not, it was an overworked application.

    >>> Fact is that these crashing servers were running linux. Once again,
    >>> proving itself that it's incapable of getting the job done.

    >> Maybe you should read the articles instead of just lying, "Enzyte".

    > Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    > the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    > the failure.

    Pot, kettle, black.

    >> As in, the applications were written to handle 150,000 transactions an
    >> hour, but had 8 million hits.

    > Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    > the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    > the failure.

    Pot, kettle, black.

    >> <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    >> Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>

    > Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    > the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    > the failure.

    Pot, kettle, black.

    It seems that you Ok with being a lying scumbag as long as you can call
    someone else the same thing.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 23:02:55 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message

    >>> Glad to see you are clueless. You may now explain how I can agree with
    >>> something I didn't read.

    >> Wow Rick. This thread has 5-6 posts in it. And you're telling me that
    >> you are too stupid or lazy or both to read the post from Roy that
    >> started this thread? You know... the lie^h^h^ post claiming that it was
    >> a Windows machine that caused the web-site to get shut down.

    > Wow, "Enzyte" I just don't feel like reading it.

    I see. You don't bother reading the thread, or even the title of the
    thread. But somehow in your mind being uninformed makes you qualified to
    jump-in and comment on what is being debated.

    > Windows machine or not, it was an overworked application.

    Which isn't what they liar Roy Schestowitz said. He claimed that it's was
    Windows that failed.

    >>> Maybe you should read the articles instead of just lying, "Enzyte".

    >> Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    >> the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    >> the failure.

    > Pot, kettle, black.

    Roy Schestowitz, liar.

    >>> As in, the applications were written to handle 150,000 transactions an
    >>> hour, but had 8 million hits.

    >> Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    >> the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    >> the failure.

    > Pot, kettle, black.

    Roy Schestowitz, liar.

    >>> <http://www.betanews.com/article/
    >>> Chinas_Olympics_Ticket_Sales_Crash/1193949030>

    >> Tell that to the scumbag liar Roy Schestowitz who never bothered to read
    >> the article and simply made up lies claiming it was Windows that caused
    >> the failure.

    > Pot, kettle, black.

    Roy Schestowitz, liar.

    > It seems that you Ok with being a lying scumbag as long as you can call
    > someone else the same thing.

    The difference is that I report the facts that are listed in the article.
    Roy Schestowitz takes the article, twists the headline into something that
    wasn't even implied in the article and posts some anti-MS lie. Meanwhile
    retards like you "circle the wagons" and defend that scumbag without even
    bothering to read what it is you're defending.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] LINUX Already Failing at the Olympic Games

    [snips]

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:29:46 -0400, Enzyte Bob wrote:

    > Fact is that these crashing servers were running linux. Once again, proving
    > itself that it's incapable of getting the job done.

    No, that's not a fact. It is a supposition.

    Your "research" reveals the _web_ servers are running Linux. Very good,
    but it wasn't the _web_ servers that crashed, now was it? No, the article
    says that it was the _database_ that crashed. You *are* aware that a
    database and a web server are not the same thing, right? You *are* aware
    that a web server need not run on the same machine - nor even the same OS
    - as the web server which queries it, right?

    So you say it was crashing Linux servers. It may have been. Nothing you
    posted, however, even *hints* that this was the case; thus you've failed
    to support your claim.

    HTH. HAND.

+ Reply to Thread