[News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical - Linux ; Boiling Water : Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Take a user who has never used Windows before, and they'll go crazy with how | bad everything seems to operate. You'll also get a long list of things that | seem ...

  1. [News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical

    Boiling Water : Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Take a user who has never used Windows before, and they'll go crazy with how
    | bad everything seems to operate. You'll also get a long list of things that
    | seem broken or just plain nonsensical.
    `----

    http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/10/b...r-windows.html

    This is true. I've met a few people who never used Windows and they fight it a
    nightmare to cope with. That's why Microsoft tries to get children 'addicted'
    to the broken interface.

    Related:

    Switching from KDE to WinXP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You probably do not use your computer in the same way I use mine. That
    | is exactly why a rich and configurable feature set is so important --
    | everyone will have different situations, different preferences, and
    | different ways of using their computers. A feature-rich, configurable
    | desktop like KDE allows people to work how they want to work. The MS
    | Windows XP desktop is more of a "one size fits all" or "any color as long
    | as it is black" desktop. One with limited features. Some people may not
    | mind that; I do. Surprisingly, I have yet to find any feature in WinXP
    | that made me say "Wow! I wish KDE could do that."
    `----

    http://www.osugisakae.com/writings/l...x2winxp_1.html

    "Is ANY OS Ready for the Desktop?" *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A perfect OS would include(at a minimum) these points:
    |
    | * *1. Stability: The perfect OS should NEVER crash.
    |
    | * *2. Functionality: The perfect OS should be able to use any and
    | all features of any hardware attached to the system. It should
    | instantly recognize and install appropriate drivers for said hardware.
    |
    | * *3. Usability: The perfect OS should be able to run any program,
    | regardless of code base or age of said program.
    |
    | * *4. Security: the perfect OS should be an airtight vessel in this
    | regard. Hackers should find themselves out of work because of this OS.
    |
    | * *5. Configurability: The perfect OS should let the user set it up
    | the way he/she wants.
    `----

    http://www.overclockers.com/articles1368/

    Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Don't Lose This Product Key!
    |
    | Video blanking hassles
    |
    | Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs
    |
    | Shocked by additional software costs
    |
    | Where Windows XP shines
    |
    | Hope for the future
    `----

    http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/2033216

    Windows Vista Ready?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The majority of new members and guests are here because they want to install
    | Windows XP on systems which came with Vista pre-installed. Others are dual
    | booting with XP and Vista because they do not want to, or are unable to
    | solely depend on Vista to do what they need their systems for.
    `----

    http://www.pro-networks.org/blog/index.php/vista/14

    Linux ready for the desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | McLaren said the cost of security alone in the standard desktop, is at
    | least "50 percent to double" that of Linux.
    |
    | He believes the primary inhibitors to large-scale Linux desktop adoption
    | are Windows applications, especially Excel macros, and a perception of
    | a large training cost associated with the move.
    |
    | "There will always be a migration cost for any large project, but this
    | will be dramatically lowered over time," he said. "You need take a
    | long-term view and realize security and admin costs will be lowered. We're
    | not saying everything should be moved over at once."
    |
    | McLaren cited car rental company Europcar as having "success" by moving
    | call centre people and branch office systems to Red Hat's desktop.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...4194304;fpid;1

  2. Re: [News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:28:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Boiling Water : Windows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Take a user who has never used Windows before, and they'll go crazy with how
    >| bad everything seems to operate. You'll also get a long list of things that
    >| seem broken or just plain nonsensical.
    > `----
    >
    > http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/10/b...r-windows.html

    Yet he is incapable of describing what those things are from that long
    list. He just waves his hands about and mumbles about virus software and
    having to install more software.

  3. Re: Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical

    "Rex Ballard" schreef in bericht
    news:1193978389.837640.83870@o3g2000hsb.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On Nov 1, 10:23 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:28:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > Boiling Water : Windows
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]

    > These days that's very hard to find.

    > Even people who have been using Windows for YEARS go crazy over the
    > bugs. Bugs, Viruses, Identity theft, spam, popups faster than you can

    Never had any problems using Windows for YEARS, since Windows 3.x, you
    ****ing lying lintard!
    Yes, you proved to be a liar again!
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/2007...lard-liar.html
    "This blog would exceed its storage quota if we were to list all of the lies
    made by this looney tune."

  4. Re: [News] Windows to Outsiders: Broken or Just Plain Nonsensical

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Yet he is incapable of describing what those things are from that long list. He just waves his hands about and mumbles about virus software and having to install more software.

    "The leading point then is to point out that with all existing known
    Linux Distributions you do not need to run an anti-virus program or
    anti-spyware program"

+ Reply to Thread