Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions - Linux ; I've been away from COLA for quite a while (insanely busy), but since I just installed Ubuntu 7.10, I thought I'd share my first impressions. So far, look and feel seems very similar to 7.04, with only minor changes in ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    I've been away from COLA for quite a while (insanely busy), but since
    I just installed Ubuntu 7.10, I thought I'd share my first impressions.

    So far, look and feel seems very similar to 7.04, with only minor
    changes in the UI.

    Newer versions of applications are included of course (OpenOffice
    is now at 2.3 for example).

    After first logging in, the system informed me that a restricted driver
    was available for my video card, and with a single mouse click it was
    installed. I needed to reboot before it was enabled, but then I was
    able to enjoy hardware accelerated 3D goodness on my system with no
    hoop jumping.

    Optional desktop effects are integrated more fully into this version,
    and had none of the glitches I experienced in 7.04.

    I no longer needed to use Automatix to install various popular codecs
    and third party apps. Clicking on an document with an unsupported
    format brings up the Add/Remove Applications screen and prompts to load
    the correct software. This worked flawlessly for AVI, MP3, and Gnumeric
    files.

    On 7.04, I had to manually select the appropriate printer from
    pulldown list when installing a print queue for my HP LaserJet 4050.
    On 7.10, the system sniffed the network, auto-detected the printer
    and installed the correct drivers and queue with only a few mouse
    clicks.

    One negative observation so far: My maximum screen resolution was once
    again limited to 1024x768 until I manually tweaked the xorg.conf file.

    I will also mention that, though I did a full reinstall of the OS (not
    the optional in-place upgrade), I kept my existing /home partition
    intact and simply mapped the new user accounts onto the existing
    home directories. This worked beautifully. User accounts kept their
    old desktop layouts and menu customizations, and the applications I've
    tested so far picked up their old settings. This is the advantage of
    the Unix/Linux standard of using configuration files stored in the
    user's home directory (rather than a central store like a registry).

    In summary, my first impressions of the new Ubuntu are very positive.
    It is a definite incremental improvement on 7.04 with various changes
    that really enhance usability. There is no 'change for change's
    sake' like we find with some other operating systems.

    Thad

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW ??

    tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > I've been away from COLA for quite a while (insanely busy), but since
    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10, I thought I'd share my first impressions.
    >
    > So far, look and feel seems very similar to 7.04, with only minor
    > changes in the UI.
    >

    > Thad

    You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    January.

    Why is it that every Linux review in comp.os.linux.advocacy has a
    positive slant to it yet the same products when reviewed outside of
    comp.os.linux.advocacy don't do nearly as well?

    What kind of Koolaid do you guys over in "COLA" drink?

    Or did someone discover some REAL Coca Cola, circa 1930's, with the
    good stuff in it?

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    ____/ thad on Thursday 01 November 2007 23:25 : \____

    > One negative observation so far: My maximum screen resolution was once
    > again limited to 1024x768 until I manually tweaked the xorg.conf file.

    I think there's a new front end that eliminates the need to touch xorg.conf
    directly.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open minds, open source
    Tasks: 118 total, 1 running, 117 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Quick - Call the Doctor - Just FYI

    wrote in message
    news:1193963856.517680.130740@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...

    > tha...@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> I've been away from COLA for quite a while (insanely busy), but since
    >> I just installed Ubuntu 7.10, I thought I'd share my first impressions.
    >>
    >> So far, look and feel seems very similar to 7.04, with only minor
    >> changes in the UI.
    >>

    >> Thad

    > You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    > Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    > January.
    >
    > Why is it that every Linux review in comp.os.linux.advocacy has a
    > positive slant to it yet the same products when reviewed outside of
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy don't do nearly as well?
    >
    > What kind of Koolaid do you guys over in "COLA" drink?
    >
    > Or did someone discover some REAL Coca Cola, circa 1930's, with the
    > good stuff in it?

    Quick - Call your doctor. Your medication is wearing off.

    Just FYI

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW ??

    arkady.duntov@gmail.com wrote:

    > You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    > Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    > January.

    It runs snappy enough on this system, though I agree that the standard
    Ubuntu/Gnome desktop is a bit heavy for older or lower end systems.
    That is why I'm also a fan of Kbuntu, DSL, and Puppy Linux.

    > Why is it that every Linux review in comp.os.linux.advocacy has a
    > positive slant to it yet the same products when reviewed outside of
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy don't do nearly as well?

    Actually, most reviews I've read of Ubuntu have been positive, so I
    don't know where you got that impression. I don't claim Ubuntu is
    perfect, but it does a good job of meeting its goal of being a
    Linux for the masses, and 7.10 is definitely a modest improvement
    over 7.04. Unlike Windows, at it is moving in a positive direction.

    > What kind of Koolaid do you guys over in "COLA" drink?
    >
    > Or did someone discover some REAL Coca Cola, circa 1930's, with the
    > good stuff in it?

    Sorry, no koolaid here... we drink only all natural organic
    beverages in this tree-huggin hippie commune. Anyway, my
    review was a simple honest recitation of my experiences with
    Ubuntu 7.10, comparing it to the previous version, not any
    other distro. I'm sure Mepis is fine distro, but I have no
    experience with it, so it would be dishonest of me try and
    compare them.

    I would love to hear about your experiences with Mepis and why
    you think it is superior. You've mentioned it is faster.
    Any other areas it outshines Ubuntu? What is the package
    management like, for example?

    Later,

    Thad

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I think there's a new front end that eliminates the need to touch xorg.conf
    > directly.

    Do you have any details on that? I'd love to give it a spin.

    Thanks,

    Thad

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 02 November 2007 05:33 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> I think there's a new front end that eliminates the need to touch xorg.conf
    >> directly.

    > Do you have any details on that? I'd love to give it a spin.

    I can't recall the name, but I think I've seen it. Hopefully someone else knows
    better. 7.10 was supposed to have obviated this "edit text file" issue for
    good. Maybe you stick with your habits (and/or documentation) from previous
    versions.

    BTW, this one thing that you mention was probably Ubuntu's #1 Achilles Heel
    right from the start. I remember helping someone in USENET with Ubuntu 4.10
    (first version) a long time ago. He had this problem and so did I. I convinced
    him to moved to Linux in one of the general computer NGs under the .uk level
    of the tree.

    I actually also got a lot of visits to my site (thousands) from people who
    sought a solution to this problem (search strings were consistent), indicating
    the the issue was very common.

    Ubuntu lags behind when it comes to monitor handling. Well behind. But I
    thought this had been resolved by now. :-S

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
    06:00:04 up 2 days, 10:11, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.73, 1.50

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    Roy Schestowitz schreef:
    > ____/ thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com on Friday 02 November 2007 05:33 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> I think there's a new front end that eliminates the need to touch xorg.conf
    >>> directly.

    >> Do you have any details on that? I'd love to give it a spin.

    > I can't recall the name, but I think I've seen it. Hopefully someone else knows
    > better. 7.10 was supposed to have obviated this "edit text file" issue for
    > good. Maybe you stick with your habits (and/or documentation) from previous
    > versions.

    [Snip]

    Yup there is a new GUI tool in 7.10, just try: System > Settings >
    Screens and Graphics.

    Cheers!

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  9. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:

    > I've been away from COLA for quite a while (insanely busy), but since
    > I just installed Ubuntu 7.10, I thought I'd share my first impressions.
    >
    > So far, look and feel seems very similar to 7.04, with only minor
    > changes in the UI.
    >
    > Newer versions of applications are included of course (OpenOffice
    > is now at 2.3 for example).
    >
    > After first logging in, the system informed me that a restricted driver
    > was available for my video card, and with a single mouse click it was
    > installed. I needed to reboot before it was enabled, but then I was
    > able to enjoy hardware accelerated 3D goodness on my system with no
    > hoop jumping.
    >
    > Optional desktop effects are integrated more fully into this version,
    > and had none of the glitches I experienced in 7.04.
    >
    > I no longer needed to use Automatix to install various popular codecs
    > and third party apps. Clicking on an document with an unsupported
    > format brings up the Add/Remove Applications screen and prompts to load
    > the correct software. This worked flawlessly for AVI, MP3, and Gnumeric
    > files.
    >
    > On 7.04, I had to manually select the appropriate printer from
    > pulldown list when installing a print queue for my HP LaserJet 4050.
    > On 7.10, the system sniffed the network, auto-detected the printer
    > and installed the correct drivers and queue with only a few mouse
    > clicks.
    >
    > One negative observation so far: My maximum screen resolution was once
    > again limited to 1024x768 until I manually tweaked the xorg.conf file.
    >
    > I will also mention that, though I did a full reinstall of the OS (not
    > the optional in-place upgrade), I kept my existing /home partition
    > intact and simply mapped the new user accounts onto the existing
    > home directories. This worked beautifully. User accounts kept their
    > old desktop layouts and menu customizations, and the applications I've
    > tested so far picked up their old settings. This is the advantage of
    > the Unix/Linux standard of using configuration files stored in the
    > user's home directory (rather than a central store like a registry).
    >
    > In summary, my first impressions of the new Ubuntu are very positive.
    > It is a definite incremental improvement on 7.04 with various changes
    > that really enhance usability. There is no 'change for change's
    > sake' like we find with some other operating systems.
    >
    > Thad

    Overal, I was impressed.
    Got transparent rotating cube going after installing the compiz-manager.
    In next to no time I got the VoIP working with Twinkle.
    Finally kiss goodbye to another bit of crap windoze only rubbish
    from my voip service provider.

    Some oddities...
    I installed Gambas and Gambas2 with synaptic.
    Somewhere in the middle it said insert Ubuntu original CD?!!!!!?????
    Oh come on guys! That is sooooo old and windozy!!!

    Webcam - Logitech Quickcam Express - only half the image.
    A number of other webcams had the same issue.

  10. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    ml2mst wrote:

    > Yup there is a new GUI tool in 7.10, just try: System > Settings >
    > Screens and Graphics.
    >
    > Cheers!

    Cool... exactly what I was looking for.

    Thad

  11. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions

    After takin' a swig o' grog, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > ml2mst wrote:
    >>
    >> Yup there is a new GUI tool in 7.10, just try: System > Settings >
    >> Screens and Graphics.
    >>
    >> Cheers!

    > Cool... exactly what I was looking for.

    Where's the source code for that app located?

    The nvidia-settings app from *cough cough* a proprietary vendor takes my
    64-bit system down hard, in a way I've never seen before when I use

    nvidia-settings --glxinfo

    I hate to spoil the proprietary love of posters such as DFS, but I find
    all too frequently that the most problematic applications on Linux are
    those provided by proprietary vendors. Nvidia and VMware (to give two
    examples) have decent Linux products, but both of them have some
    problems.

    And the proprietary guys just don't seem to want to master automake or
    deb.

    --
    The pubis the place!

  12. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW??

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:37:36 -0700, arkady.duntov wrote:

    > You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    > Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    > January.

    It run just as fast as CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 on my machine?

  13. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW??

    Freeride wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:37:36 -0700, arkady.duntov wrote:
    >
    >> You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    >> Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    >> January.

    > It run just as fast as CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 on my machine?

    It's no slower on here than Feisty but there did seem to be a few more
    driver and related glitches, in fact trying to use the non free video
    drivers proved to be a real PITA, much worse than having to use "Envy"
    on Debian and Feisty - ended up taking my xorg.conf from Feisty and just
    copying it across, now works perfectly so far

    Methinks maybe the OP has a driver issue that's not showing up.

  14. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW??

    Charlie Tame wrote:
    > Freeride wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:37:36 -0700, arkady.duntov wrote:
    >>
    >>> You didn't notice how slow Ubuntu runs?
    >>> Compared to Mepis, Ubuntu is like molassas in the artic circle in
    >>> January.

    >> It run just as fast as CentOS 4 and CentOS 5 on my machine?

    > It's no slower on here than Feisty but there did seem to be a few more
    > driver and related glitches, in fact trying to use the non free video
    > drivers proved to be a real PITA, much worse than having to use "Envy"
    > on Debian and Feisty - ended up taking my xorg.conf from Feisty and just
    > copying it across, now works perfectly so far
    >
    > Methinks maybe the OP has a driver issue that's not showing up.

    Same here I found that Envy worked much better
    than RDM. and if Gutsy went any faster I would end
    up with eyeburn.
    caver1

  15. Re: Ubuntu 7.10, First Impressions. Why is Ubuntu so SLOWWWWWWWWWWW ??

    caver1 wrote:

    > Same here I found that Envy worked much better
    > than RDM. and if Gutsy went any faster I would end
    > up with eyeburn.
    > caver1

    I used Envy on my earlier Ubuntu installs, but I found 7.10 installed
    the optional restricted driver with no problems this time around. I
    also found that my earlier claim of needing to manually tweak the
    xorg.conf was not actually true; The System -> Administration ->
    Screens and Graphics menu option allowed me to easily change the
    monitor type and screen resolution (though a button or hint on the
    System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution option would have made
    this easier to locate).

    Also, I haven't benchmarked it, but my 3D rendering speed seems
    faster since upgrading. I suspect improvements in the nVidia
    driver or kernel.

    Imagine that, an operating system that actually gets faster with
    newer revisions instead of just slower and more bloated.

    Cheers,

    Thad

+ Reply to Thread