VoIP patent awarded to 8x8 Inc. - Linux

This is a discussion on VoIP patent awarded to 8x8 Inc. - Linux ; "The Santa Clara, Calfornia based company 8x8 Inc. has been awarded a patent for the arrangement of a telephone and an interface unit that interfaces with a standard switched system and Internet communication network" http://www.physorg.com/news113062047.html...

  1. VoIP patent awarded to 8x8 Inc.

    "The Santa Clara, Calfornia based company 8x8 Inc. has been awarded a
    patent for the arrangement of a telephone and an interface unit that
    interfaces with a standard switched system and Internet communication
    network"

    http://www.physorg.com/news113062047.html

  2. Re: VoIP patent awarded to 8x8 Inc.

    On Nov 1, 3:35 pm, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "The Santa Clara, Calfornia based company 8x8 Inc. has been awarded a
    > patent for the arrangement of a telephone and an interface unit that
    > interfaces with a standard switched system and Internet communication
    > network"
    >
    > http://www.physorg.com/news113062047.html

    I'm really surprised that they didn't bump into a few patents by AT&T,
    some X.151 and X.153 issues, and some Linux shareware, and other
    software and claim that have been around for at LEAST 25 years.

    Let me see, taking a stream fed by TCP/IP instead of SS7 or ATM
    couldn't POSSIBLY be intuitively derived, now could it?

    Maybe the figured out how to do it on Windows!! If they figured out
    how to do it without getting those annoying pauses due to kernel level
    garbage collection and network backlog that WOULD merit a patent.

    There are about 50 ways to skin that cat, and this clown actually
    managed to PATENT one?

    You've got to love those guys at the patent office. They must take
    people from Afghanistan (who haven't even had telephones for 20 years)
    and have them read the application and decide, without checking ANY
    other source wither this is "Original" and couldn't be intuitively
    derived.

    HINT: Look at the #5 ESS - its' been around since 1980!

+ Reply to Thread