Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria .. - Linux ; we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace it by Windows afterward. http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/ -- Microsoft: the company that sees a threat in a greeting card company .....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

  1. Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    --

    Microsoft: the company that sees a threat in a greeting card company ..

  2. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > “we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    > it by Windows afterward.”
    >
    > http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    [Sore] loser.

  3. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    "DFS" schreef in bericht
    news:KzlWi.59092$c9.32098@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> “we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    >> it by Windows afterward.”
    >>
    >> http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    > [Sore] loser.

    "but we shall replace it by Windows afterwards"
    Nothing new here, most Linux (l) users do! Cola zealots will never admit
    that.

  4. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace it
    > by Windows afterward.
    >
    > http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    For starters, the Nigerian kids were never getting a OLPC, they were going
    to get an Intel Classmate PC running Mandriva.

    While you might consider this to be "sabotage" others would call this a
    business deal. Business deals get made every day in every corner of the
    globe. Ballmer is certainly very good at making deals.

    Besides, why do care? Isn't the goal of this to get laptops into the hands
    of the poor children. They aren't being denied laptops. And getting laptops
    to poor children is the objective, isn't it?

  5. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace it
    > by Windows afterward.
    >
    > http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/
    >
    > --
    >
    > Microsoft: the company that sees a threat in a greeting card company ..

    What is/was Nigeria paying for Mandriva Software? It seems to me that
    aborigines with no power and the need for such a bare bones system are not
    going to be able to access support lines very effectively, so whatever they
    are paying is too much. Isn't Linux supposed to be free? What gives?

  6. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    Keith Windsor wrote:

    > isn't the goal of this to get laptops into the hands of the poor children ..

    No the goal of the deal is to prevent Mandriva/OLPC getting onto
    computers of poor children, else why didn't Ballmer financially support
    the OLPC ..

  7. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > What is/was Nigeria paying for Mandriva Software? ..

    What is it Nigeria is paying for Microsoft software, I though the
    bill.and.melinda foundation was all about helping the poor, why isn't
    the Nigerian government getting the software for free, what gives ?

  8. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    On Nov 1, 10:43 am, DFS wrote:
    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > > "we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    > > it by Windows afterward."

    > >http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    Gee, I wonder if Bill told them they wouldn't get any more vaccines
    unless they replaced Linux with Windows?

    That would be a pretty hard choice. Turn your children into Minions
    of Microsoft, or watch them die of malaria, Diarrhea, or Pertussis.
    That WOULD make Bill Gates guilty of murdering his competition
    (Negligent Homicide).

    > [Sore] loser.

  9. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl

    wrote
    on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 15:15:29 +0000
    :
    > Keith Windsor wrote:
    >
    >> isn't the goal of this to get laptops into the hands
    >> of the poor children ..

    > No the goal of the deal is to prevent Mandriva/OLPC
    > getting onto computers of poor children, else why
    > didn't Ballmer financially support the OLPC ..

    Is it? Are you *certain*? Niger is one of the most
    corrupt African countries known (it is tied for #138 in
    the 2006 transparency list with Cameroon, Equador, and
    Venezuela) out of 163 (occupied by Haiti).

    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html

    (For the record, the US is tied for 20th; we could do better.)

    While OLPC's stated goal is laudable (putting a laptop in
    the hands of children), one wonders if we wouldn't have
    been better off (FSVO "better") simply going the easy
    route and buying stock laptops from known manufacturers
    such as Dell, Acer, and such, putting Home Basic or Starter
    thereon, and shipping them.

    That would have accomplished the stated goal, in a very
    expedient fashion. Whether it's in the best interests is
    far from clear, mostly because the best interests are not
    always aligned with the stated goals.

    (The best interest, in this case, appears to be education.
    Laptops can either further education, or be a distraction.)

    There are also issues regarding poor children in the US of A,
    as well. Does OLPC help them, or should they simply get
    Windows-based laptops, furthering the Microsoft Monopoly?

    Stay tuned; the answers lie ahead in our next exciting episode...

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  10. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> What is/was Nigeria paying for Mandriva Software? ..

    > What is it Nigeria is paying for Microsoft software, I though the
    > bill.and.melinda foundation was all about helping the poor, why isn't the
    > Nigerian government getting the software for free, what gives ?

    What makes you think that Nigeria is paying for Microsoft software? Perhaps
    they are but the letter certainly does not address the issue. Do you have a
    source to back this up or are you simply making up ****? What we DO KNOW is
    that they were paying for Mandriva. Whether they are paying for Windows is
    yet to be proven.

  11. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    Keith Windsor amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    >>> What is/was Nigeria paying for Mandriva Software? ..

    > What makes you think that Nigeria is paying for Microsoft software? ..

    It's a question dumbass, what is it Nigeria is paying for Microsoft
    software. If it's a non-zero number then Nigeria are paying for it.

    I wonder what is Microsofts motive in unnecessarly duplicating the
    software on the Classmate PC ..

    http://www.classmatepc.com/classmate-pc-whatis.html

  12. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >> No the goal of the deal is to prevent Mandriva/OLPC getting onto computers of poor children, else why didn't Ballmer financially support the OLPC ..

    > Is it? Are you *certain*? Niger is one of the most corrupt African countries known ..

    Do you know different, in what respect are corrupt Nigerian officials
    responciple for buying Mandriva on the Classmate and then going out and
    buying an equivilent amount of Windows licenses. Who did this, what are
    their names ... ?

    --

    keep up the advocacy Ghost, remember always give MICROS~1 the benefit of
    the doubt, it isn't as if they had a history of shenanigans and sharp

  13. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard

    wrote
    on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:35:28 -0700
    <1193931328.727197.25250@o38g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>:
    > On Nov 1, 10:43 am, DFS wrote:
    >> Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> > "we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    >> > it by Windows afterward."

    >> >http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    > Gee, I wonder if Bill told them they wouldn't get any more vaccines
    > unless they replaced Linux with Windows?
    >
    > That would be a pretty hard choice. Turn your children into Minions
    > of Microsoft, or watch them die of malaria, Diarrhea, or Pertussis.
    > That WOULD make Bill Gates guilty of murdering his competition
    > (Negligent Homicide).

    Pedant Point: the two are different...though it's an
    interesting and rather nasty ethical question,
    generally.

    "What a nice collection of kids you have there. Would be
    a shame if something were to ... heh heh, heh heh heh ...
    happen to them."

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  14. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl

    wrote
    on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:44:20 +0000
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    >>> No the goal of the deal is to prevent Mandriva/OLPC getting onto computers of poor children, else why didn't Ballmer financially support the OLPC ..

    >> Is it? Are you *certain*? Niger is one of the most corrupt
    >> African countries known ..

    > Do you know different, in what respect are corrupt
    > Nigerian officials responciple for buying Mandriva
    > on the Classmate and then going out and buying an
    > equivilent amount of Windows licenses. Who did this,
    > what are their names ... ?

    Frankly, I do not, but I do wonder about all this.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and while
    Niger's intentions are indeed good, the actual process
    is suspect -- mostly because OLPC was apparently not
    properly vetted (FSVO "properly" and "vetted"!) by Intel
    and Microsoft first, assuming that makes sense in the
    process at all, but one issue that has to be addressed
    somewhere is that they are the monopoly and therefore any
    training at some level -- probably later on, in a trade
    school or speciality school -- needs to acknowledge the
    quirks thereof.

    And of course Niger is known corrupt (though not as corrupt
    as Haiti); the Transparency bunch is quite clear on this.
    I don't have the specifics on that, admittedly; presumably
    the determination methodology is documented somewhere.

    Clearly, a laptop is a laptop ("push key, wiggle mouse
    cursor"), and an OS is an OS ("open file", "drag window
    around", "comunicate with my friend over there"), but there
    are differences if one digs far enough below the surface.

    Nor is the proper fix just to buy Intel/Microsoft laptops.
    I don't know what is. I do know that Intel threw a monkey
    wrench into the process at some point, plus the general
    rise of prices didn't help (the laptop now is offered at
    US$188, IINM).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  15. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Is it? Are you *certain*? Niger is one of the most
    > corrupt African countries known (it is tied for #138 in
    > the 2006 transparency list with Cameroon, Equador, and
    > Venezuela) out of 163 (occupied by Haiti).
    >
    > http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781359.html

    True. On the other hand, Nigeria - the country mentioned on the subject
    line - is even worse on tied 142nd place. Niger and Nigeria are
    neighbours, Niger to the north of Nigeria.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  16. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    "Keith Windsor" wrote in message
    news:4729fbb4$0$26435$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > The problem with this theory is that pop-up ads and all advertising for
    > that matter are economic in nature. The goal is to attract the buyer into
    > purchasing something from the advertiser.
    >
    > Being that the children in Nigeria have close to zero economic resources,
    > do you expect Volvo to try and sell them cars or Hotwire to try to sell
    > them vacation packages? Perhaps they are looking for a $3000
    > high-definition plasma TV to go with that $200 government subsidised
    > laptop of theirs?

    Everyone with a PC has longed for more video size and resolution, why not
    the Nigerians, too?

  17. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:26:24 +0000, Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > “we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    > it by Windows afterward.”
    >
    > http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    And soon we shall hear the reasons for not living up to our promises of
    support.

    Remember 'Make Poverty History'?

    And we shall soon hear the excuses that we can't give what we pledged
    because of the corruption in their government, such that we can't be sure
    that the aid reaches those to whom it was intended.

    But hopefully, by them people will have forgotten what was pledged.

    Unfortunately, the recipients will not.

  18. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > ?we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    > it by Windows afterward.?
    >
    > http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    Something no one has mentioned about the COMMENTS to the open letter on the
    mandriva blog... Of the long list of commenters, only one had anything
    positive to say about microsoft.

    It just proves, people know about microsoft. They know just how bad it is
    and no amount of putting "lipstick on a pig" is going to change that.

    "Microsoft, the company people LOVE to hate!"

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us

  19. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> ?we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    >> it by Windows afterward.?
    >>
    >> http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    > [Sore] loser.

    You don't see anything odd in them paying for Mandriva but installing
    Windows?

    Sounds like Ballmer's /giving/ them Windows, and probably some other
    considerations as well.

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: Ballmer sabotages OLPC in Nigeria ..

    DFS wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> “we shall pay for the Mandriva Software as agreed, but we shall replace
    >> it by Windows afterward.”
    >>
    >> http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/...steve-ballmer/

    > [Sore] loser.

    These are the people we're dealing with:

    http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/bl...a_the_cor.html

    Given the sequence of events, it's not a stretch to think some currency
    changed hands here. I for one wouldn't be gloating over such a "victory".
    There is a significant PR risk to Microsoft should this get publicized
    outside of the geek community.

    Have a nice day.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast