[News] [Rival] The Microsoft Police Accuses the Scottish 'Pirates' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Police Accuses the Scottish 'Pirates' - Linux ; Glasgow is UK's runner-up in software piracy stakes ,----[ Quote ] | Glasgow has been crowned the worst city in the UK for software piracy outside | of Greater London. | | In a bid to crackdown on the problem, ...

  1. [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Police Accuses the Scottish 'Pirates'

    Glasgow is UK's runner-up in software piracy stakes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Glasgow has been crowned the worst city in the UK for software piracy outside
    | of Greater London.
    |
    | In a bid to crackdown on the problem, the Business Software Alliance (BSA)
    | will kick-off a month-long awareness campaign this week.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ftware_piracy/

    Hey, [H]omer, Microsoft is insulting you. They want people to "steal ours
    [Microsoft software]," but they still complain. They use the word "pirates",
    too.

    BSA is a proxy, just likes SCO. It absorbs the bad PR. It's "good cop, bad
    cop".

    Microsoft files 20 software piracy suits

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday that it's filed 20 lawsuits in 13 states
    | against alleged dealers of counterfeit software.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071031/1543475.html?.v=1

    Related:

    Microsoft continues pursuit of software pirates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wednesday's moves are part of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative (GSI),
    | which the company launched in July 2005 to prevent pirated and counterfeited
    | versions of Microsoft software being sold to users. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93027

    Microsoft says college students can 'steal' Office

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, actually Microsoft isn't encouraging piracy. Rather it is launching a
    | promotion, dubbed "Ultimate Steal," in which college students can get the
    | ultra high-end Ultimate edition of Office for just $60. *
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | *
    | * "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | * people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | * As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | * They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | * collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
    | group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
    | percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
    | percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
    | estimates, the last year for which data is available.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
    | antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
    | really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
    | means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
    `----

    http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/i...2;fp;16;fpid;1

    Chinese attitude on buying Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
    | USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
    | is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
    | Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
    | criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
    |
    | recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
    | of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
    `----

    http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-at...ing-vista.html

    Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
    | software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
    `----

    http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

    Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    | plans for world domination.
    |
    | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    `----

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] The Microsoft Police Accuses the Scottish 'Pirates'

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 01 November 2007 20:12 : \____

    >> Glasgow is UK's runner-up in software piracy stakes

    > Well first off, I'm not a Weegie, I'm an Aberdonian.

    Yes, I know, but I was exaggerating (extrapolating/generalising) in that
    respect.

    > Secondly, Glasgow /is/ a den of thieves, as are most cities these days.
    >
    > Thirdly, this "initiative" seems to be targeted at businesses, which IMO
    > is entirely the wrong target, since the vast, *vast* majority of
    > so-called pirate software out there is spread and used by /home/ desktop
    > users.
    >
    > In this context, when the BSA uses the word "pirate", what they /really/
    > mean is company "x" bought 1000 licenses for Windows XP, but have
    > actually deployed 1001 installations of it.

    Exactly.

    > Big whoop.
    >
    > IOW this is an auditing initiative, not at all what I would call a
    > "piracy crack-down". Or in yet other words, it's a "blood drive" (as in
    > "squeeze every drop of...").

    Crackdown. Pirates. Mind the word they use to create fear. It's the rule of
    terror.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
    00:05:01 up 2 days, 4:16, 3 users, load average: 0.75, 1.26, 1.67