Walmart Stores stock $199 Linux PC. - Linux

This is a discussion on Walmart Stores stock $199 Linux PC. - Linux ; "NEW YORK - Linux, the free operating system that's a perpetual underdog in the desktop market, is showing up in computers in Wal-Mart stores this week for the first time. ADVERTISEMENT About 600 Wal-Mart stores will carry the $199 Linux-powered ...

  1. Walmart Stores stock $199 Linux PC.

    "NEW YORK - Linux, the free operating system that's a perpetual underdog
    in the desktop market, is showing up in computers in Wal-Mart stores
    this week for the first time.

    About 600 Wal-Mart stores will carry the $199 Linux-powered "Green gPC"
    made by Everex of Taiwan, Wal-Mart said. It was available online on
    Wednesday.

    A comparable Everex PC that comes with Windows Vista Home Basic and more
    memory costs $99 more, or $298, partly because the manufacturer has to
    pay Microsoft Corp. for a software license. Both computers come with
    keyboard, mouse, and speakers, but no monitor."

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071031/...qjgTAbFQeor7oF

    Typical of the author, and of the skewed Yahoo reporting, a few FUD
    opinions are spouted. When journalists quote Microsoft, credibility is
    shot.

  2. Re: Walmart Stores stock $199 Linux PC.

    ____/ AHappyCamper on Thursday 01 November 2007 10:30 : \____

    > "NEW YORK - Linux, the free operating system that's a perpetual underdog
    > in the desktop market, is showing up in computers in Wal-Mart stores
    > this week for the first time.
    >
    > About 600 Wal-Mart stores will carry the $199 Linux-powered "Green gPC"
    > made by Everex of Taiwan, Wal-Mart said. It was available online on
    > Wednesday.
    >
    > A comparable Everex PC that comes with Windows Vista Home Basic and more
    > memory costs $99 more, or $298, partly because the manufacturer has to
    > pay Microsoft Corp. for a software license. Both computers come with
    > keyboard, mouse, and speakers, but no monitor."

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071031/...qjgTAbFQeor7oF

    > Typical of the author, and of the skewed Yahoo reporting, a few FUD
    > opinions are spouted. When journalists quote Microsoft, credibility is
    > shot.

    Watch these if you haven't...

    What happened to the guts?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
    | mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
    | the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
    | You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
    | issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
    | more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
    | editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
    | since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
    | from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
    | become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
    | 95 like it was the second coming.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
    | advocate for the consumer once again.
    |
    | As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
    | most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
    | But we're the little guys.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

    http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

    Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

    $350 million to MediaNews

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
    | those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
    | It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
    | philanthropy outfit.
    `----

    Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
    | covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
    |
    | In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
    | Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
    | end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
    | the Vole vast coverage for free.
    |
    | In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
    | ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
    | website.
    |
    | But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
    | fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
    |
    | Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
    | bum that you could barely see her corset.
    `----

    The real question: How to keep Microsoft on the transparency track

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some media members are simply shocked that Microsoft's PR team keeps
    | dossiers on the reporters and bloggers who cover the company. That's
    | old news, folks. And not even very interesting news.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=353

    Wrong Yesterday Wrong Today Wrong Tomorrow

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just got through watching a segment on the Today Show on NBC
    | highlighting the launch of the Microsoft Zune.
    |
    | First of all, I thought journalists were suppose to reveal their
    | affiliations with any product if such an affiliation exists.
    | Microsoft owns a stake in NBC ie MSNBC News Network.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Second, all the side by side product comparisons showed 4th Gen iPods
    | with monochrome screens with no song selected or playing, while the
    | Zune was playing a video.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This isn't the first time NBC has misled its morning viewers with
    | puff pieces about the Zune.
    `----

    http://fixyourthinking.com/2006/11/w...day-wrong.html

    Should MSNBC really be "reviewing" (Microsoft's) Gears of War?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MSNBC recently reviewed Gears of War, calling it the Xbox 360's first
    | killer app.... Nowhere on the page is any indication of the possible
    | ethical issue MSNBC is "Microsoft-NBC", and the site is hosted as a
    | subdomain of msn.com (a major Microsoft portal). Is this really balanced
    | journalism?
    `----

    http://www.thisisby.us/index.php/con..._gears_of_war_

    PC World Editor Resigns When Ordered Not to Criticize Advertisers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apparently he also told the staff that product reviews had to be
    | nicer to vendors who advertise in the magazine. The sad thing is
    | that given the economics of publishing in this day and age, I
    | doubt anything even comes of this even tho it essentially
    | confirms that PC World reviews should be thought of as no
    | more than press releases. I know that's how I will consider
    | links from them in the future. But congratulations to anyone
    | willing to stick to their guns on such matters.
    `----

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...10239&from=rss

    Dan Rather: Journalism has 'lost its guts'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To longtime CBS broadcaster Dan Rather, American journalism in recent
    | years "has in some ways lost its guts."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I do not exclude myself from this criticism... By and large, so
    | many journalists--there are notable exceptions--have adopted
    | the go-along-to-get-along (attitude)," he said.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "In many ways," said Rather to loud applause, "what we in journalism
    | need is a spine transplant."
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6166...0-20&subj=news

    Among many more examples I could add here...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
    Mem: 515500k total, 439856k used, 75644k free, 1616k buffers