Linux device driver interview questions - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux device driver interview questions - Linux ; Hi, I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information. thanks...

  1. Linux device driver interview questions

    Hi,

    I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview
    questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information.

    thanks

  2. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 04:52:05 -0000, davoti@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview
    > questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information.

    Aehh, what about: show me the source code of one of the device drivers you
    have written.

    Or maybe: point me to some lkml threads you have contributed to.

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  3. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    On Nov 1, 9:52 am, dav...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview
    > questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information.
    >
    > thanks

    Why you want to write a device driver?
    how will you register it?
    how will you keep track of its usage?
    Under what license will you write your driver?
    how will you allocate memory in your driver?
    why not vmalloc?
    what if you got to know that your memory is leaking?
    what is IRQ? how will you register your IRQ no? Are you sure you will
    get the IRQ no you have requested? What if you don't get?
    Where will you place filesystem? above device driver or below it?

  4. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    On Nov 1, 3:52 pm, dav...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview
    > questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information.
    >
    > thanks

    Questions are fine. But you have to know the answers to those
    questions as well! If you dont, they can bull**** you and you
    wouldn't know.

  5. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    On Nov 1, 5:15 am, Milind Dumbare wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 9:52 am, dav...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am looking for some Linux device driver developer interview
    > > questions, would appreciate if someone can provide some information.

    > > thanks

    > Why you want to write a device driver?
    > how will you register it?
    > how will you keep track of its usage?
    > Under what license will you write your driver?
    > how will you allocate memory in your driver?
    > why not vmalloc?
    > what if you got to know that your memory is leaking?
    > what is IRQ? how will you register your IRQ no? Are you sure you will
    > get the IRQ no you have requested? What if you don't get?
    > Where will you place filesystem? above device driver or below it?

    Thanks, these are too simple :-)

    Any more on thread/process management and memory management stuffs?

  6. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    davoti@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Why you want to write a device driver?
    >> how will you register it?
    >> how will you keep track of its usage?
    >> Under what license will you write your driver?
    >> how will you allocate memory in your driver?
    >> why not vmalloc?
    >> what if you got to know that your memory is leaking?
    >> what is IRQ? how will you register your IRQ no? Are you sure you will
    >> get the IRQ no you have requested? What if you don't get?
    >> Where will you place filesystem? above device driver or below it?

    >Thanks, these are too simple :-)
    >
    >Any more on thread/process management and memory management stuffs?

    The details can be learned. Wouldn't you rather find out whether they know
    where to look, who to ask, how to find out?
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  7. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    Tim Roberts wrote in

    > davoti@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Thanks, these are too simple :-)
    >>
    >>Any more on thread/process management and memory management stuffs?

    > The details can be learned. Wouldn't you rather find out whether they
    > know where to look, who to ask, how to find out?

    I agree that the details can be learned. However, it's also really
    important that they have basic concepts down so that they will be able to
    understand the details once they find them. So, maybe such questions as:

    What is the difference between a thread and a process?

    What is the difference between physical memory addresses and virtual
    memory addresses? What is a page table / page table entry?

    What is the difference between kernel mode and user mode? What is a
    system call?

    What is a spinlock? Why would you use one? When and when not?

    What is a context switch? What happens when a thread is "blocked"?

    What does the scheduler do?

    What happens (to the state of a running thread) when an interrupt occurs?
    What sorts of things must an interrupt handler do?

    This is all stuff that exists on pretty much any modern operating system
    so if you get somebody who (successfully) writes drivers for Windows or
    AIX and you're looking to hire them for linux drivers, you can tell
    whether they'll be able to pick it up without requiring that they already
    know every detail.

    GH

  8. Re: Linux device driver interview questions

    Gil Hamilton wrote:

    >I agree that the details can be learned. However, it's also really
    >important that they have basic concepts down so that they will be able to
    >understand the details once they find them. So, maybe such questions as:
    >
    >What is the difference between a thread and a process?
    >This is all stuff that exists on pretty much any modern operating system
    >so if you get somebody who (successfully) writes drivers for Windows or
    >AIX and you're looking to hire them for linux drivers, you can tell
    >whether they'll be able to pick it up without requiring that they already
    >know every detail.

    Yes, exactly. Yours is a list of questions that I would agree with, not a
    Linux trivia test designed to trip up the unsuspecting.
    --
    Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

  9. Linux device driver interview questions

    GH> What is the difference between a thread and a process?
    GH> [...]
    GH> This is all stuff that exists on pretty much any modern
    GH> operating system so if you get somebody who (successfully)
    GH> writes drivers for Windows or AIX and you're looking
    GH> to hire them for linux drivers, you can tell whether they'll
    GH> be able to pick it up without requiring that they already
    GH> know every detail.

    .... and you'll be able to tell who are the ones that have done kernel-
    mode programming on Linux, specifically, by their answer to the first
    question. (-:

+ Reply to Thread