[News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders - Linux ; Microsoft continues pursuit of software pirates ,----[ Quote ] | Wednesday's moves are part of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative (GSI), | which the company launched in July 2005 to prevent pirated and counterfeited | versions of Microsoft software being sold ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders

    Microsoft continues pursuit of software pirates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wednesday's moves are part of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative (GSI),
    | which the company launched in July 2005 to prevent pirated and counterfeited
    | versions of Microsoft software being sold to users.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93027

    "Arrr...."

    Microsoft calls "pirates" the very same people which it tries to get addicted
    and wants to 'steal' their software. Bloody, greedy hypocrites. The
    only "thief" is Microsoft, just like the record companies that rob and rape
    the artists, to quote the artists themselves.

    How many people will be moving to Linux? You can squeeze very hard for extra
    cash, but how long for?

    Related:

    Microsoft says college students can 'steal' Office

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, actually Microsoft isn't encouraging piracy. Rather it is launching a
    | promotion, dubbed "Ultimate Steal," in which college students can get the
    | ultra high-end Ultimate edition of Office for just $60. *
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-977...=2547-1_3-0-20

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | *
    | * "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | * people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | * As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | * They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | * collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
    | group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
    | percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
    | percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
    | estimates, the last year for which data is available.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
    | antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
    | really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
    | means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
    `----

    http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/i...2;fp;16;fpid;1

    Chinese attitude on buying Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
    | USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
    | is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
    | Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
    | criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
    |
    | recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that 81%
    | of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
    `----

    http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-at...ing-vista.html

    Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
    | software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
    `----

    http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

    Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    | plans for world domination.
    |
    | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    `----

    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft continues pursuit of software pirates
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wednesday's moves are part of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative
    > | (GSI), which the company launched in July 2005 to prevent pirated and
    > | counterfeited versions of Microsoft software being sold to users.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93027
    >
    > "Arrr...."
    >
    > Microsoft calls "pirates" the very same people which it tries to get
    > addicted and wants to 'steal' their software. Bloody, greedy hypocrites.
    > The only "thief" is Microsoft, just like the record companies that rob and
    > rape the artists, to quote the artists themselves.

    Its a lot worse than that now for the music and film industry.
    They are one of the biggest industries that profit from immoral earnings.

    A large part of their revenue is from drug addicted artists and stars.

    They are living off immoral earnings.

    Doing drugs is where many cheating artists get their so called talent.
    Without it they are deflated into ordinary mortals.
    Instead of profiting from drug addicted artists, the music
    and film industry have a duty
    to remove from all shelves anyone who has taken drugs to get into the
    film and music industry. Just like drug taking athletes that are removed
    from competing because they are cheats,
    the music and film industry have a duty
    to remove from their shelves drug taking artists and their material
    or find themselves accused of profiting from immoral earnings.

    > How many people will be moving to Linux? You can squeeze very hard for
    > extra cash, but how long for?
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Microsoft says college students can 'steal' Office
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Well, actually Microsoft isn't encouraging piracy. Rather it is
    > | launching a promotion, dubbed "Ultimate Steal," in which college
    > | students can get the ultra high-end Ultimate edition of Office for just
    > | $60.
    > `----
    >
    > http:/

    news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9777020-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

    > Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    > | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    > | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    > |
    > | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    > |
    > | "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    > | people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    > | As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    > | They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    > | collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html
    >

    > Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    > | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    > | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    > | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    > | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    > | operating system.
    > |
    > | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    > | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    > | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    > | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    > | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.softpedia.com/news

    Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml

    > Ballmer hints at tougher Vista antipiracy crackdown
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to the Business Software Alliance, an antipiracy watchdog
    > | group for the software industry, counterfeits accounted for 86
    > | percent of the software sold in China, 72 percent in India, 64
    > | percent in Brazil and 83 percent in Russia. The figures are 2005
    > | estimates, the last year for which data is available.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | It appears that Ballmer doesn't agree, for he hinted that Vista's
    > | antipiracy features might be tightened even more. "We [will]
    > | really ferret through how far we can dial it up, and what that
    > | means for customer experience and customer satisfaction," he said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/i...2;fp;16;fpid;1
    >

    > Chinese attitude on buying Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I've mentioned above,the price of Vista is higher than RMB2000 (about
    > | USD257) may not shake users in developed countries, but do you know it
    > | is equal to the average monthly salary in China's economic center
    > | Shanghai!So please take this fact into consideration before
    > | criticize our behavior of buying pirate softwares.
    > |
    > | recent survey of public opinion from China's portal NetEase shows that
    > | 81% of netizens think Microsoft is forcing them to use pirate Vista...
    > `----
    >
    > http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/02/chinese-at...ing-vista.html
    >

    > Why Piracy Hurts Open Source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
    > | software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are
    > | using."
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266
    >

    > Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
    > | technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
    > | will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
    > | Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
    > | it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
    > | they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
    > | Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
    > | plans for world domination.
    > |
    > | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
    > | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://observer.guardian.co.uk/busin...956941,00.html

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:17:56 GMT
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft continues pursuit of software pirates
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Wednesday's moves are part of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative
    >> | (GSI), which the company launched in July 2005 to prevent pirated and
    >> | counterfeited versions of Microsoft software being sold to users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93027
    >>
    >> "Arrr...."
    >>
    >> Microsoft calls "pirates" the very same people which
    >> it tries to get addicted and wants to 'steal' their
    >> software. Bloody, greedy hypocrites. The only "thief"
    >> is Microsoft, just like the record companies that rob
    >> and rape the artists, to quote the artists themselves.

    > Its a lot worse than that now for the music and film industry.
    > They are one of the biggest industries that profit from immoral earnings.

    Maybe, but the revenue from Microsoft appears to dwarf them.
    MSFT: revenue $54B, gross profit $40B, net income $14.88B
    SNE: revenue $76B, gross profit $15.86B, net income $2B

    (Of course part of Sony's problem is that it's primarily
    a hardware manufacturer, so the margins aren't as good.
    I don't know how much of this is from their Entertainment
    division.)

    > A large part of their revenue is from drug addicted artists and stars.
    >
    > They are living off immoral earnings.
    >
    > Doing drugs is where many cheating artists get their so called talent.
    > Without it they are deflated into ordinary mortals.
    > Instead of profiting from drug addicted artists, the music
    > and film industry have a duty
    > to remove from all shelves anyone who has taken drugs to get into the
    > film and music industry. Just like drug taking athletes that are removed
    > from competing because they are cheats,
    > the music and film industry have a duty
    > to remove from their shelves drug taking artists and their material
    > or find themselves accused of profiting from immoral earnings.

    Drugs might be construed as a sin, admittedly, but the
    philosophical and pragmatic questions get ridiculous.
    For example, is coffee a drug? Should alcohol be banned,
    as it is a factor in many of the more than 30,000-40,000
    fatalities per year on US roadways? (Another major
    factor is lack of sleep.) Bear also in mind Prohibition
    in the 1920s was a spectacular failure, and the War On
    (Some) Drugs isn't working much better than the banning
    of "speakeasies" back then, and alcohol -- along with
    methamphetames! -- is easy enough to distill/manufacture,
    with some expertise and a source (for alcohol, it's
    foods, mostly grain or other such; methamphetamines are
    produceable from cold tablets, which now must be sold
    from the prescription counter; we'll see how that works).
    An interesting corner case: marijuana beer or liquor,
    assuming such is possible without destroying the THC during
    fermentation or distillation.

    Is marijuana more dangerous than wine, liquor, or spirits?
    Large numbers bemoan "killer weed" (the only thing it
    might kill is large chunks of the paper industry and many
    lung cells -- a death vector it shares with tobacco),
    but either shrug off or ignore the alcoholism issue as
    the price of doing bar business.

    As for music moguls profiting from drug-addled artists --
    an interesting question from a sin/moralistic standpoint
    as well, but any legislation would probably prove
    unenforceable, if not downright unConstitutional, absent
    consensus on the issue (e.g., a performance artist doing
    serial murders would rightfully be prosecuted as a serial
    murderer in all venues; a performance artist doing multiple
    rapes would be prosecuted in most venues for the rapes).
    Granted, one might prosecute the moguls under fraud or
    breach of contract if the artists aren't fairly compensated.

    And of course Linux programmers might be under the
    affluence of incohol or worse when writing code (though one
    hopes they rewrite it later if bugs creep in!). Should we
    ban open source, as one cannot prove that Linux programmers
    are *not* provable to be drug-free in the privacy of their
    own homes or in various venues (the one coming to mind
    is Internet cafes), whereas Microsoft gets a free pass
    solely because it has a drug-free enforcement policy in
    its workplace?

    Yeah, verily! Can't be too careful with al Qaeda running
    amuck; it might lead to dancing.

    [rest snipped for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Squeezes People Even Harder to Please Shareholders

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 01 November 2007 14:57 : \____

    > Yeah, verily! *Can't be too careful with al Qaeda running
    > amuck; it might lead to dancing.

    And opium.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
    Mem: 515500k total, 444080k used, 71420k free, 2724k buffers