Trick or Treat?: Windows Vista is starting to see mass adoption from businesses nearly a year after it was released - Linux

This is a discussion on Trick or Treat?: Windows Vista is starting to see mass adoption from businesses nearly a year after it was released - Linux ; News without the usual "Roy" spin. RL SEATTLE, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile , Research) Windows Vista is starting to see mass adoption from businesses nearly a year after it was released, the company said while ...

  1. Trick or Treat?: Windows Vista is starting to see mass adoption from businesses nearly a year after it was released

    News without the usual "Roy" spin.

    RL

    SEATTLE, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile ,
    Research) Windows Vista is starting to see mass adoption from
    businesses nearly a year after it was released, the company said while
    predicting a strong first holiday season for the product.

    "We feel like we are starting to hit our stride not only in demand,
    but in deployment in business," Kevin Johnson, president of
    Microsoft's platform and services group, said in an interview.

    Microsoft delivered quarterly results last week that eclipsed Wall
    Street's most bullish forecasts, helped in part by strong demand for
    Vista, the latest upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system.
    Vista was introduced in January.

    Vista's success was not always a foregone conclusion. Early Vista
    buyers complained about the lack of compatibility with existing
    devices and software programs.

  2. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    Windummy Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    Windopws Pista sales are crawling to a halt.
    Thats the official analysis of dumb SEC filings
    made by Micoshaft Corporation.
    There are some idiotic journalists that can't add
    and chose to report woefully dumb mis-information
    put out by micoshaft corporation. I pity their future careers.

  3. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:29:12 GMT
    :
    > Windummy Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    > Windopws Pista sales are crawling to a halt.
    > Thats the official analysis of dumb SEC filings
    > made by Micoshaft Corporation.
    > There are some idiotic journalists that can't add
    > and chose to report woefully dumb mis-information
    > put out by micoshaft corporation. I pity their future careers.

    Got any data on that, perchance? I don't doubt it (much),
    but would like to know the extent of the slowdown, and
    there's a certain amount of stuff the sales channel can
    absorb without backing up and overflowing.

    I'm also curious as to whether Dell is releasing a
    breakdown of sales of Ubuntu versus FreeDOS versus Vista
    workstations.

    The 10Q mentions $1.7B recognition of revenue in Q3 fiscal 2007,
    because of the Vista release.

    The latest 8K (released 2007-10-25) has the phrasing

    Microsoft’s businesses of Client, Microsoft Business
    Division, and Server and Tools grew combined revenue
    in excess of 20%, and experienced robust demand for
    Windows Vista, the 2007 Microsoft Office system,
    Windows Server, and SQL Server.

    “Customer demand for Windows Vista this quarter
    continued to build with double-digit growth in
    multi-year agreements by businesses and with the vast
    majority of consumers purchasing premium editions,”
    said Kevin Johnson, president of the Platforms and
    Services Division at Microsoft.

    These are the only sentences with the word "Vista". Clearly,
    however, whoever wrote this deathless prose had very positive
    feelings about Microsoft Windows "I am not a crook" Vista.

    Dell's 10Q does not mention Windows or Vista at all,
    and mentions Microsoft only in the context of a lawsuit,
    Lucent v. Dell, filed in 2003.

    Dell's 10K also only mentions Microsoft in the context
    of the above lawsuit.

    Dell's IdeaStorm blog has a complaint:

    http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/71264

    Dell - You did announce how many copies of Vista sold; and the
    percentage of Home Machines shipped with Vista - Do the same for
    Ubuntu

    which refers to the article

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=226

    suggesting that Dell sold tens of thousands of copies of
    Vista between Vista's release (2006-11-30, presumably,
    to business customers; the rest of us had to wait until
    2007-01-30) and 2007-01-29.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  4. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:29:12 GMT
    > :
    >> Windummy Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    >> Windopws Pista sales are crawling to a halt.
    >> Thats the official analysis of dumb SEC filings
    >> made by Micoshaft Corporation.
    >> There are some idiotic journalists that can't add
    >> and chose to report woefully dumb mis-information
    >> put out by micoshaft corporation. I pity their future careers.
    >>

    > Got any data on that, perchance? I don't doubt it (much),

    The news is a day or two old. The inquirer and/or register
    were running the news.

    > but would like to know the extent of the slowdown, and
    > there's a certain amount of stuff the sales channel can
    > absorb without backing up and overflowing.
    >
    > I'm also curious as to whether Dell is releasing a
    > breakdown of sales of Ubuntu versus FreeDOS versus Vista
    > workstations.
    >
    > The 10Q mentions $1.7B recognition of revenue in Q3 fiscal 2007,
    > because of the Vista release.
    >
    > The latest 8K (released 2007-10-25) has the phrasing
    >
    > Microsoft’s businesses of Client, Microsoft Business
    > Division, and Server and Tools grew combined revenue
    > in excess of 20%, and experienced robust demand for
    > Windows Vista, the 2007 Microsoft Office system,
    > Windows Server, and SQL Server.
    >
    > “Customer demand for Windows Vista this quarter
    > continued to build with double-digit growth in
    > multi-year agreements by businesses and with the vast
    > majority of consumers purchasing premium editions,”
    > said Kevin Johnson, president of the Platforms and
    > Services Division at Microsoft.
    >
    > These are the only sentences with the word "Vista". Clearly,
    > however, whoever wrote this deathless prose had very positive
    > feelings about Microsoft Windows "I am not a crook" Vista.
    >
    > Dell's 10Q does not mention Windows or Vista at all,
    > and mentions Microsoft only in the context of a lawsuit,
    > Lucent v. Dell, filed in 2003.
    >
    > Dell's 10K also only mentions Microsoft in the context
    > of the above lawsuit.
    >
    > Dell's IdeaStorm blog has a complaint:
    >
    > http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/71264
    >
    > Dell - You did announce how many copies of Vista sold; and the
    > percentage of Home Machines shipped with Vista - Do the same for
    > Ubuntu
    >
    > which refers to the article
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=226
    >
    > suggesting that Dell sold tens of thousands of copies of
    > Vista between Vista's release (2006-11-30, presumably,
    > to business customers; the rest of us had to wait until
    > 2007-01-30) and 2007-01-29.

  5. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:29:12 GMT
    > :
    >> Windummy Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    >> Windopws Pista sales are crawling to a halt.
    >> Thats the official analysis of dumb SEC filings
    >> made by Micoshaft Corporation.
    >> There are some idiotic journalists that can't add
    >> and chose to report woefully dumb mis-information
    >> put out by micoshaft corporation. I pity their future careers.

    > Got any data on that, perchance? I don't doubt it (much),
    > but would like to know the extent of the slowdown, and
    > there's a certain amount of stuff the sales channel can
    > absorb without backing up and overflowing.

    I like the 8-K link you can find here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx

    What they figure at the end of 2007:

    Revenue around $16 billion
    Operating income around $6 billion
    Diluted earnings per share around $0.45

    What they figure by the middle of 2008:

    Revenue around $59 billion
    Operating income around $23 billion
    Diluted earnings per share around $1.78

    In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.

    After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    from the year before.

    Good luck, Microsoft.

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:slrnfii6o2.nno.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...

    > I like the 8-K link you can find here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx
    >
    > What they figure at the end of 2007:
    >
    > Revenue around $16 billion
    > Operating income around $6 billion
    > Diluted earnings per share around $0.45
    >
    > What they figure by the middle of 2008:
    >
    > Revenue around $59 billion
    > Operating income around $23 billion
    > Diluted earnings per share around $1.78
    >
    > In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.
    >
    > After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    > from the year before.
    >
    > Good luck, Microsoft.

    Perhaps you are using a Linux spreadsheet and it is fault in that the term
    "quarter" is being ignored. Mr. Softee had 16 billion revenues for the last
    QUARTER. They are looking for 59 Billion for the end of the YEAR. If the
    last quarter were to repear 3 more times, that would be 64 Billion which
    would really rock, but their normal yearly cycle isn't so generous. OTOH,
    with the wild popularity of Vista and the soon to be released Server 2008,
    it is well within reason.

    > Tux rox!

  7. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfii6o2.nno.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>
    >> I like the 8-K link you can find here:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx
    >>
    >> What they figure at the end of 2007:
    >>
    >> Revenue around $16 billion
    >> Operating income around $6 billion
    >> Diluted earnings per share around $0.45
    >>
    >> What they figure by the middle of 2008:
    >>
    >> Revenue around $59 billion
    >> Operating income around $23 billion
    >> Diluted earnings per share around $1.78
    >>
    >> In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.
    >>
    >> After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    >> from the year before.
    >>
    >> Good luck, Microsoft.
    >>

    > Perhaps you are using a Linux spreadsheet and it is fault in that the term
    > "quarter" is being ignored. Mr. Softee had 16 billion revenues for the
    > last
    > QUARTER. They are looking for 59 Billion for the end of the YEAR. If the
    > last quarter were to repear 3 more times, that would be 64 Billion which
    > would really rock, but their normal yearly cycle isn't so generous. OTOH,
    > with the wild popularity of Vista and the soon to be released Server 2008,
    > it is well within reason.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

    The wild popularity of Pista?

    You must be a spliffing fruit cake!!

    And what you think sys admins are just going to keel over and
    let in pista into server rooms?

    Only by trying to bypass them by telling porkies to management me thinks.

    New windopws is just forked code with all the old bugs and vulns still in
    tact. Highly dangerous for server room guys to be switching to such
    rubbish.

    Nearly all of micoshafts servers are Linux.
    Anything less is doomed to failure.

  8. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:29:12 GMT, 7
    wrote:

    >Windummy Asstroturfer raylopez99 wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:

    >Windopws Pista sales are crawling to a halt.
    >Thats the official analysis of dumb SEC filings
    >made by Micoshaft Corporation.
    >There are some idiotic journalists that can't add
    >and chose to report woefully dumb mis-information
    >put out by micoshaft corporation. I pity their future careers.

    Yeah, right:

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...=Windows+Vista

    Now go back do what idiots do.

  9. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    7 wrote on behalf of all freetards:

    > Nearly all of micoshafts servers are Linux.

    Is any comment really necessary?

  10. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:34:29 GMT
    :
    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:
    >

    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfii6o2.nno.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>>
    >>> I like the 8-K link you can find here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx
    >>>
    >>> What they figure at the end of 2007:
    >>>
    >>> Revenue around $16 billion
    >>> Operating income around $6 billion
    >>> Diluted earnings per share around $0.45
    >>>
    >>> What they figure by the middle of 2008:
    >>>
    >>> Revenue around $59 billion
    >>> Operating income around $23 billion
    >>> Diluted earnings per share around $1.78
    >>>
    >>> In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.
    >>>
    >>> After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    >>> from the year before.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck, Microsoft.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps you are using a Linux spreadsheet and it is fault in that the term
    >> "quarter" is being ignored. Mr. Softee had 16 billion revenues for the
    >> last
    >> QUARTER. They are looking for 59 Billion for the end of the YEAR. If the
    >> last quarter were to repear 3 more times, that would be 64 Billion which
    >> would really rock, but their normal yearly cycle isn't so generous. OTOH,
    >> with the wild popularity of Vista and the soon to be released Server 2008,
    >> it is well within reason.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!
    >
    > The wild popularity of Pista?
    >
    > You must be a spliffing fruit cake!!

    There is a certain pent-up demand for a Microsoft upgrade
    -- *any* upgrade -- as XP was more than 5 years old before
    Vista actually came out. Presumably part of the demand
    is simply that people hunger for change just for change's
    sake, and of course part is simply normal hardware refresh.

    Can Linux tap into that hunger somehow?

    > And what you think sys admins are just going to keel over and
    > let in pista into server rooms?

    They might have to. New equipment isn't going to have XP
    on it. :-) It might have Linux, which is also an unknown
    to many administrators (though one hopes that they grow
    more familiar with this option in time).

    > Only by trying to bypass them by telling porkies
    > to management me thinks.
    >
    > New windopws is just forked code with all the old bugs
    > and vulns still in tact. Highly dangerous for server
    > room guys to be switching to such rubbish.

    Only if they're not protected by NAT. NAT covers a lot of
    ills, and might allow Microsoft to perpetuate its dominance
    in the home and start eating into Unix's server dominance.
    (It is getting very close to usurping Apache, though a good
    chunk of that is that Apache is fighting a two-front war:
    IIS on one side, but Google on the other is also biting
    Apache very hard.)

    > Nearly all of micoshafts servers are Linux.
    > Anything less is doomed to failure.

    Web: www.microsoft.com is being handled by an unknown
    server, according to wget. Netcraft suggests Windows
    Server 2008 with IIS/7.0.

    DNS:
    The SOA for microsoft.com suggests ns1.msft.net.
    Ther resolution of www.microsoft.com goes
    through what appears to be an Akamai server
    (toggle.www.ms.akadns.net). For its part
    www.akamai.com is a fairly old Apache server running
    on an unknown Unix.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  11. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    "7" wrote in message
    newscgWi.40444$c_1.33494@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious wrote on behalf of Big Corporations:
    >

    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfii6o2.nno.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>>
    >>> I like the 8-K link you can find here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx
    >>>
    >>> What they figure at the end of 2007:
    >>>
    >>> Revenue around $16 billion
    >>> Operating income around $6 billion
    >>> Diluted earnings per share around $0.45
    >>>
    >>> What they figure by the middle of 2008:
    >>>
    >>> Revenue around $59 billion
    >>> Operating income around $23 billion
    >>> Diluted earnings per share around $1.78
    >>>
    >>> In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.
    >>>
    >>> After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    >>> from the year before.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck, Microsoft.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps you are using a Linux spreadsheet and it is fault in that the
    >> term
    >> "quarter" is being ignored. Mr. Softee had 16 billion revenues for the
    >> last
    >> QUARTER. They are looking for 59 Billion for the end of the YEAR. If
    >> the
    >> last quarter were to repear 3 more times, that would be 64 Billion which
    >> would really rock, but their normal yearly cycle isn't so generous.
    >> OTOH,
    >> with the wild popularity of Vista and the soon to be released Server
    >> 2008,
    >> it is well within reason.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!
    >
    > The wild popularity of Pista?
    >
    > You must be a spliffing fruit cake!!
    >
    > And what you think sys admins are just going to keel over and
    > let in pista into server rooms?
    >
    > Only by trying to bypass them by telling porkies to management me thinks.
    >
    > New windopws is just forked code with all the old bugs and vulns still in
    > tact. Highly dangerous for server room guys to be switching to such
    > rubbish.
    >
    > Nearly all of micoshafts servers are Linux.
    > Anything less is doomed to failure.

    I didn't know that! Are you sure? Where did you find that out? They are
    sure keeping it a secret. I am amazed that you know so much.

  12. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    > That is correct, and Linux *is* a cheap substitute.
    > That's one of its problems; were we to implement among
    > other things DRM and charge $500 per seat license, people
    > would automatically want it.

    You make a poor effort to ridicule the concept. It is much more complicated
    psychologically. Certainly people would not pay simply because you raised
    the price. OTOH, their perception of your worth is influenced by putting
    such a low value on it.

    >> and will never
    >> have any due to the massive size of the user base and the high costs of
    >> addressing that user base.

    > It's worse than that.

    That cannot be. Nothing can be of a longer timeframe than never. It is an
    absolute end to the scale.

  13. Re: Trick! Windows Pista is failing

    After takin' a swig o' grog, amicus_curious belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfii6o2.nno.linonut@mlsrock.launchmodem.co m...
    >>
    >> I like the 8-K link you can find here:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/msft/aspx/secfilings.aspx
    >>
    >> What they figure at the end of 2007:
    >>
    >> Revenue around $16 billion
    >> Operating income around $6 billion
    >> Diluted earnings per share around $0.45
    >>
    >> What they figure by the middle of 2008:
    >>
    >> Revenue around $59 billion
    >> Operating income around $23 billion
    >> Diluted earnings per share around $1.78
    >>
    >> In other words, they expect to quadruple those numbers in half a year.
    >>
    >> After experiencing only a 27% increase for the corresponding quarter
    >> from the year before.
    >>
    >> Good luck, Microsoft.
    >>

    > Perhaps you are using a Linux spreadsheet and it is fault in that the term
    > "quarter" is being ignored. Mr. Softee had 16 billion revenues for the last
    > QUARTER. They are looking for 59 Billion for the end of the YEAR.

    Ah, I see. My bad.

    Guess I'd better "Talk to Chuck" for my own investments .

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread