[News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovated' and Renamed Java .SNOT - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovated' and Renamed Java .SNOT - Linux ; How ASP.NET began in Java ,----[ Quote ] | So why did Microsoft deny it? I'm guessing, but maybe the company felt | that "Project Cool" was related to Java in people's minds, and wanted to | emphasise that .NET ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovated' and Renamed Java .SNOT

    How ASP.NET began in Java

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So why did Microsoft deny it? I'm guessing, but maybe the company felt
    | that "Project Cool" was related to Java in people's minds, and wanted to
    | emphasise that .NET was 100 per cent Java-free. Any resemblance is purely
    | coincidental, as novelists like to say.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...rime_response/

    Related:

    Did Microsoft just patent sudo?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1985, huh? And when did this Microsoft patent happen? It was filed in
    | 2000. Well gee, that doesn't make sense. How'd they get the patent?
    | It certainly falls under the category of "obvious" if there's prior
    | art such as sudo.
    |
    | What makes this whole thing funny, though, is something I saw a couple
    | days ago. Head over to Builder-AU and listen to Peter Watson from
    | Microsoft. He says,
    |
    | * "User Account Control is a great idea and strategically
    | * a direction that sort of all operating systems and all technology
    | * should be heading down"
    |
    | Excuse me? Does he really believe this is all Microsoft's great new
    | idea?
    |
    | In the end, this seems like a patent that Microsoft will hold up and
    | say "we have a patent and Linux is violating it!" They won't ever
    | sue on it though (just leave the threat hanging to scare away
    | potential users), because then they could have the patent revoked.
    | It's better for them to just wave it around.
    `----

    http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspo...tent-sudo.html

    Microsoft Says Other OSes Should Imitate UAC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The most controversial aspect of Watson's comments all center around
    | the idea that Microsoft is a leader with UAC, and that other OSes
    | should follow suit. UAC is a cousin of myriad "superuser" process
    | elevation strategies, which Mac OS X and all flavors of Linux
    | already enjoy. The fact is that Microsoft is late to the party
    | with their Microsoftized version of sudo. That's really what UAC
    | is, after all: sudo with a fancy display mechanism (to make it hard
    | to spoof) and extra monitoring to pick up on "suspicious" behavior.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...llow-suit.html
    http://tinyurl.com/yw9ose

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovated' and Renamed Java .SNOT

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 16:02 : \____

    >> How ASP.NET began in Java
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | So why did Microsoft deny it? I'm guessing, but maybe the company felt
    >> | that "Project Cool" was related to Java in people's minds, and wanted to
    >> | emphasise that .NET was 100 per cent Java-free. Any resemblance is purely
    >> | coincidental, as novelists like to say.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...rime_response/

    > Wrong link?
    >
    > http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/1..._project_cool/
    >
    > .----
    > | "We went to a conference, I think it was in Washington DC or
    > | something, and Scott and I were up on stage. He is doing this demo,
    > | and he says, 'Here is a directory listing'. And I glance up at the
    > | screen, and I see file1.cool, all these .cool files, and we're busy
    > | denying that there is anything called Cool, and he has this
    > | directory listing.
    > |
    > | "So I was worried that somebody would see that and put two and two
    > | together... but nobody picked up on it. They had asked if they
    > | could videotape me to re-broadcast, and I'd said fine, but when I
    > | realised that the Cool screenshot was shown, I contacted them and
    > | said, 'I can't let you have that videotape', and they sent it back.
    > | So it never leaked."
    > `----

    Oops. Yes, I keep a clipboard stack, so I spew out the wrong output sometimes.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The only source is Open Source"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 220280k used, 1289788k free, 83580k cached