[News] [Rival] Things Look Grim for Windows Vista (Daily Digest) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Things Look Grim for Windows Vista (Daily Digest) - Linux ; Is it the Beginning of the End for Microsoft? ,----[ Quote ] | Vista was in development for around 5 years which is a long wait for what | some have nicknamed “XP Service Pack 4”. This is the tech ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Things Look Grim for Windows Vista (Daily Digest)

    Is it the Beginning of the End for Microsoft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista was in development for around 5 years which is a long wait for what
    | some have nicknamed “XP Service Pack 4”. This is the tech community’s way of
    | saying, “It’s evolutionary, not revolutionary.”
    `----

    http://www.contactomagazine.com/comp...rosoft1007.htm

    Vista Was Doomed 6 Years Ago

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.applematters.com/index.ph...d-6-years-ago/

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As a result, Microsoft has been forced to launch a premature marketing
    | campaign that discusses the Vista successor and remedies that will be taken
    | in order to take the sting out of the poor reception of Vista. In addition,
    | XP Service Pack #3 will essentially eliminate the need for Vista.
    `----

    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/10/30.4.shtml

    Related:

    Vista Is Still Plagued by Incompatibilities

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nine months since its release, lots of hardware and software products still
    | don't work with Microsoft's operating system, including some that are
    | certified as Vista compatible.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138693/article.html#

    6 months later, a report card on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I can't live in Vista if the software that I use in my life for productivity
    | does not work," said Pirillo, in the third minute of a 52-minute video he
    | posted on YouTube.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He "upgraded," as he called it, back to XP.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070714/...icrosoft_vista

    Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
    | what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
    | system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
    | problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
    | heart. Jim"
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Things Look Grim for Windows Vista (Daily Digest)

    > Vista Was Doomed 6 Years Ago
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | After two times of being bitten by lackluster Windows upgrades, will there be
    > | any users left who are brave enough to be early adopters?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.applematters.com/index.ph...d-6-years-ago/

    So while we sit here today, it\u2019s easy to say that Microsoft
    really screwed up with Vista, but my opinion is that Vista has been
    completely doomed since the release of XP. Never again would
    Microsoft have the trust of its customers. Now when people consider
    upgrading to Vista, they assume they\u2019re in for a troubling
    experience.

    . . .

    The really sad part of all this is that Vista is actually a good
    operating system. Microsoft has fixed many of the problems that
    should have been resolved years ago. They have added some snazzy
    features that make life a little easier for users, and while security
    will always be a problem on Windows, they\u2019ve taken some big
    steps that should help many users be more secure and have fewer
    problems. The problem is that you would never know it, because
    everyone is complaining about the lack of drivers and compatibility
    problems, and rightfully so.

    If what I've seen in Office Depot is any indication, though, it is more
    than just drivers and software. What a slow puppy.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Things Look Grim for Windows Vista (Daily Digest)

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 31 October 2007 18:21 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Vista Was Doomed 6 Years Ago
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | After two times of being bitten by lackluster Windows upgrades, will there
    >> | be any users left who are brave enough to be early adopters?
    >> `----

    http://www.applematters.com/index.ph...d-6-years-ago/

    > So while we sit here today, it\u2019s easy to say that Microsoft
    > really screwed up with Vista, but my opinion is that Vista has been
    > completely doomed since the release of XP. Never again would
    > Microsoft have the trust of its customers. Now when people consider
    > upgrading to Vista, they assume they\u2019re in for a troubling
    > experience.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > The really sad part of all this is that Vista is actually a good
    > operating system. Microsoft has fixed many of the problems that
    > should have been resolved years ago. They have added some snazzy
    > features that make life a little easier for users, and while security
    > will always be a problem on Windows, they\u2019ve taken some big
    > steps that should help many users be more secure and have fewer
    > problems. The problem is that you would never know it, because
    > everyone is complaining about the lack of drivers and compatibility
    > problems, and rightfully so.
    >
    > If what I've seen in Office Depot is any indication, though, it is more
    > than just drivers and software. What a slow puppy.

    It is assumed that everyone can afford a new PC, just as it is assumed that
    there is a broad enough market for a $5000 Surface. When was the last time you
    heard about Microsoft Surface?

    That pretty much explains it. They bent a lot of arms (of journalists) at the
    time, but that is as practical as that kettle with Wi-Fi, for telling you
    {wait for it!} the weather. What a wasteful technology. Lavish and useless.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "The only source is Open Source"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 220280k used, 1289788k free, 83580k cached