E.U. de facto endorses Microsoft's (claims of) Software Patents!

,----[ Quote ]
| Without explicitly saying that Microsoft does hold software patents
| applicable in the E.U., by allowing (the raison d'être of) and accepting the
| one-off payment of EUR 10,000 "to be paid by companies that dispute the
| validity or relevance of Microsoft's patents", the European Commission
| implicitly endorses Microsoft's claims of having the "interoperability
| information" covered by software patents!
|
| UNBELIEVABLE.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=d...ses-microsoft-

He curses Kroes.

Related:

Is Microsoft’s Europe agreement a big deal?

,----[ Quote ]
| If open source developers find greater protection for their work and its
| results in Europe than in America that’s where they will gravitate. That’s
| the kind of regime the EU is trying to create. We ignore that and dismiss
| that at our peril. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1584

Half A Loaf

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, open source will have access to the interoperability information
| on "reasonable" terms (ask independent open source developers how many can
| afford to cough up the $15,000 such access will cost), but nothing in this
| statement indicates the Commission has overcome Microsoft's "refusa[al] to *
| make the [patent] licence compatible with the open source business model." In
| fact, we can expect that nothing about that patent license will be compatible
| with the most widely used open source license, the GNU General Public
| License. * * *
`----

http://walkingwithelephants.blogspot...half-loaf.html

EU tells open source to start paying MS patent tax

,----[ Quote ]
| EU Commissioner Kroes' deal with Microsoft creates real dangers to Europe's
| growing open source economy, warns the FFII. Using patent licenses that
| exclude businesses, the software monopolist has turned the EU competition
| ruling into a victory, and now gets implicit support from the Commission to
| proceed aggressively against its competitors. * *
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases..._MS_patent_tax

Late night baseball games, Microsoft concessions evoke big yawns at open source
water cooler

,----[ Quote ]
| It will benefit purveyors of proprietary software but not open source
| developers, agreed Michael Goulde, analyst of open source strategy at
| Forrester Research, Cambridge, Mass. “Some open source developers believe
| that Microsoft should make its protocols available for use royalty free. In
| some cases, there are open source license restrictions that make it not
| possible for the software to include Microsoft licensed code – because you
| can’t downstream the license. So, unless Microsoft goes way beyond what it
| has agreed with the EU to do, only a subset of open source developers will
| have much interest. They’ll continue reverse engineering Microsoft protocols
| and doing the best they can." * * * *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1582

Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

,----[ Quote ]

`----