[News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards - Linux ; ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista ,----[ Quote ] | Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the | Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in | Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. ...

  1. [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards

    ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
    | Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
    | Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
    | was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
    | 1050.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=3

    How about some second-class gaming under Microsoft Windows Vista?

    Related:

    SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
    | thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
    `----

    http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/...ed-showdo.html

    [Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
    | natively under Windows XP Professional.
    `----

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/arc...k-my-mips.aspx

    Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
    | 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
    | of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
    | 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
    |
    | * * * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
    | * * * Need for Speed Carbon
    | * *
    | [...]
    |
    | What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
    |
    | Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
    | install and shell out $300.
    `----

    http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/0...ps-than-vista/

    Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed
    | with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything
    | is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular
    | distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking
    | around you have to do), and there are never any issues with
    | unresolved dependencies.
    |
    | Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a
    | game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's
    | completely free and very entertaining to play.
    `----

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/VanAlstine/3051

    Because penguins need to play too.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular
    | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true.
    | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of
    | them have been ported to Windows too.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best
    | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory.
    `----

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/loc...play-too-14767

    ET:QW Linux Demo Coming TODAY

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We told you three days ago that the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Linux demo
    | was coming very soon. Well, we've just received confirmation that the Linux
    | demo client will be available today! A new ET:QW Windows demo update is
    | coming out about noon (CST) and the Linux demo will be out within a few hours
    | after that. We'll have more information then.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjEyNg

  2. Re: [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 20:44 : \____

    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=3

    > "For the Linux testing we had used Fedora 7"
    >
    > Cool!

    Yes, Michael, thought about Ubuntu at some stages, but he's with Fedora at
    heart. I communicate with him quite a lot.

    >> How about some second-class gaming under Microsoft Windows Vista?

    > No thanks, I'll stick to /real/ operating systems.

    I haven't used Windows in a very long time, but do you reckon that WGA popups
    grab focus away from the game? What about forced updates (and reboots that
    cannot be avoided unless you're logged in as Admin... recall David Berlind's
    video and widely-publicised rant).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Network traffic is being polluted by SPAM. Help the Internet. Adopt *nix.
    Cpu(s): 28.0%us, 4.7%sy, 1.0%ni, 62.2%id, 3.7%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  3. Re: [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    That's nice. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with nvidia, and their drivers run
    ETQW more slowly under linux than xp, to the point that I had to drop from
    1152x864 to 1024x768 with lower fsaa settings, and it's still not as
    smooth. Also, I haven't seen any plans for crysis on linux, and crysis is a
    must have for me.

    Hopefully, I get a better video card soon. I'm hoping to see something good
    about the R700 so I can go that way and get some open drivers. Otherwise, I
    guess I'll be getting a 8800GT and continuing to piss and moan about
    nvidia's blob.

    > ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and
    > | the Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst
    > | 7.10 in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race
    > | but Linux was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x
    > | 1024 and 1680 x 1050.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=897&num=3
    >
    > How about some second-class gaming under Microsoft Windows Vista?

    --
    "This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
    not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny

  4. Re: [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards

    ____/ Rob Hughes on Friday 02 November 2007 03:20 : \____

    > That's nice. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with nvidia, and their drivers run
    > ETQW more slowly under linux than xp, to the point that I had to drop from
    > 1152x864 to 1024x768 with lower fsaa settings, and it's still not as
    > smooth. Also, I haven't seen any plans for crysis on linux, and crysis is a
    > must have for me.
    >
    > Hopefully, I get a better video card soon. I'm hoping to see something good
    > about the R700 so I can go that way and get some open drivers. Otherwise, I
    > guess I'll be getting a 8800GT and continuing to piss and moan about
    > nvidia's blob.

    From what I could gather, ATI's drivers are yet to get even better (in terms of
    performance, but also bug squashing). I'm pretty sure NVIDIA will need to
    follow suit. Michael Larabel, with whom I get in touch with sometimes, is
    already pressing NVIDIA gently. He has the most influence in this area
    (Linux+GPUs). Dell was pressuring ATI, but I don't think they stock NVIDIAs,
    at least not for their most Linux-friendly models.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows leaves me peckish
    Tasks: 117 total, 1 running, 116 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie