[News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education - Linux ; Nigerian education selects Intel-powered Classmate PC with Mandriva Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mandriva today announced that the Nigerian government has selected | Intel-powered classmate PCs running on Mandriva Linux for educational use in | nationwide pilot in Nigeria. Mandriva ...

  1. [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    Nigerian education selects Intel-powered Classmate PC with Mandriva Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mandriva today announced that the Nigerian government has selected
    | Intel-powered classmate PCs running on Mandriva Linux for educational use in
    | nationwide pilot in Nigeria. Mandriva is working with Intel Corporation and
    | Technology Support Center Ltd. to provide 17,000 Intel-powered classmate PC.
    | The aim of this project is to improve the quality of technology delivered to
    | students, and to help teachers and parents.
    `----

    http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...mandriva-linux
    http://tinyurl.com/36avrs

    A friend of mine from Nigeria has just asked me to print him a copy. He was
    quite excited although he never used Linux.

    Very recent:

    Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All computers will be installed at 9000 brazilian schools.
    `----

    http://www.techforce.com.br/index.ph...bian_computers

    Uruguay buys first $100 laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first official order for the so-called "$100 laptop" has been placed by
    | the government of Uruguay.
    `----

    Intel's OLPC-killer heads for Vietnamese retailers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The "Hacao Classmate PC" is based on Intel's Classmate PC design, and will
    | come pre-installed with Hacao Linux, a Vietnamese-language Linux distribution
    | based on Puppy Linux. ¬*
    `---- ¬* ¬* ¬*^^^^^^^^^^^

    Related:

    Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
    | Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
    | the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
    | across the country in the near future.
    `----

    http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Kubuntu Takes Over the Canary Islands

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Canary Islands have two derivatives of Kubuntu, one which is being
    | installed in all their schools and one used by the largest university.
    `----

    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1142

    All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
    | and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
    | the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop. ¬*
    `----

    CICT to computerize 320 public high schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The PCs are loaded with several open-source tools including EdUbuntu (a
    | version of Ubuntu designed for schools), OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL and
    | Mozilla Firefox, among others. ¬*
    `----

    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=95414

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

  2. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that skydweller spake thusly:

    >>> It's great that they're getting Linux, however this should have
    >>> gone to the OLPC project, rather than serving Intel's greedy
    >>> profiteering.

    >> It *is* great they're getting linux. I don't care if Intel makes a
    >> profit;

    > Do you care that they sabotaged a charity to make that profit?

    Oh my goodness, Intel management are not without sin. There's a newsflash.
    Neither is AMD. Nor Sun. Nor IBM. Nor Apple. Nor you, nor I, or anyone
    else for that matter.

    This year, I asked Santa for a bunch of components to build a new rig. I
    guess I'll have to retract my request, since I clearly shouldn't be
    supporting such scumbags. While I'm at it, I'll stop buying food at the
    grocery store - I only have about 30,000 sq ft. of property, but I guess
    I'll make do with whatever I can grow and shoot; can't be supporting all
    those big bad food conglomerates, you know. I'll need to stop purchasing
    clothing as well, since almost all that is sold here in the good old US of
    A is produced by cheap, exploited labor in Asia and sold for a huge profit
    here. The car has to go, Big Oil is making obscene profits. And I'll quit
    my day job - the large financial institution which currently employs me
    just doesn't pass ethical muster.

    After I've done all this, I'll be poor and starving just like millions
    (billions?) all over the world. I'll be in no position to do anything
    worthwhile to help those poor starving masses, and I'll not have made a
    dent in the profits of any of these companies but I'll feel *really* good
    about myself and will be able to walk around in tattered rags beating my
    breast and telling the world how wonderful I am. Fair tradeoff.

    It's sad that your myopia has blinded you to the good news in all of this.
    You have succeeded in showcasing a black cloud while obfuscating the silver
    lining. Great advocacy.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  3. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    ____/ skydweller on Thursday 01 November 2007 02:40 : \____

    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that skydweller spake thusly:

    >>> It *is* great they're getting linux. I don't care if Intel makes a
    >>> profit;

    >> Do you care that they sabotaged a charity to make that profit?

    > Oh my goodness, Intel management are not without sin. There's a newsflash.
    > Neither is AMD. Nor Sun. Nor IBM. Nor Apple. Nor you, nor I, or anyone
    > else for that matter.
    >
    > This year, I asked Santa for a bunch of components to build a new rig. I
    > guess I'll have to retract my request, since I clearly shouldn't be
    > supporting such scumbags. While I'm at it, I'll stop buying food at the
    > grocery store - I only have about 30,000 sq ft. of property, but I guess
    > I'll make do with whatever I can grow and shoot; can't be supporting all
    > those big bad food conglomerates, you know. I'll need to stop purchasing
    > clothing as well, since almost all that is sold here in the good old US of
    > A is produced by cheap, exploited labor in Asia and sold for a huge profit
    > here. The car has to go, Big Oil is making obscene profits. And I'll quit
    > my day job - the large financial institution which currently employs me
    > just doesn't pass ethical muster.
    >
    > After I've done all this, I'll be poor and starving just like millions
    > (billions?) all over the world. I'll be in no position to do anything
    > worthwhile to help those poor starving masses, and I'll not have made a
    > dent in the profits of any of these companies but I'll feel *really* good
    > about myself and will be able to walk around in tattered rags beating my
    > breast and telling the world how wonderful I am. Fair tradeoff.
    >
    > It's sad that your myopia has blinded you to the good news in all of this.
    > You have succeeded in showcasing a black cloud while obfuscating the silver
    > lining. Great advocacy.

    Fool me once, ...

    Be aware that people lose their jobs because of corruption (that could be /you/
    who ends up without income one day). Be aware that without any resistance, due
    to the nature of economics, everyone becomes a servant to a just a few.

    To me, this is not about Linux. Linux, among other things such as Free
    software, are /tools/ which enable people to regain control of their lives
    before it's too late. Had Microsoft had no competition (it was merciful
    towards Apple in the 90s, but as vicious as a gorilla towards the GPL), where
    would we be?

    Vista is nothing. You haven't yet seen (popularised) computers that interact
    with one's body and control every little aspect of one's life. Had Linux not
    existed, Microsoft's greed would be worse and things like Black Screens of
    Death (they already exist, but they are disabled, hidden somewhere in the 0s
    and 1s of Vista) would hit every person that refuses to pay whatever Microsoft
    charges for software.

    To make matters worse, look at an internation/global level. Wait until
    Microsoft, jointly with their friends in the Cabinet, decides to disable all
    PCs in an 'evil' country (READ: a country that doesn't give up it's oil and
    therefore is claimed to have WoMD).

    >> http://digg.com/linux_unix/OLPC_on_6..._Intel_is_evil
    >> http://olpc.tv/2007/05/21/60-minutes/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Switch to GNU/Linux. < http://www.getgnulinux.org/ >

  4. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Nigerian education selects Intel-powered Classmate PC with Mandriva Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Mandriva today announced that the Nigerian government has selected
    > | Intel-powered classmate PCs running on Mandriva Linux for educational
    > use in
    > | nationwide pilot in Nigeria. Mandriva is working with Intel Corporation
    > and
    > | Technology Support Center Ltd. to provide 17,000 Intel-powered classmate
    > PC.
    > | The aim of this project is to improve the quality of technology
    > delivered to
    > | students, and to help teachers and parents.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/e...mandriva-linux
    > http://tinyurl.com/36avrs
    >

    > A friend of mine from Nigeria has just asked me to print him a copy. He
    > was
    > quite excited although he never used Linux.

    And it's unlikely that your Nigerian friend will be using Linux. News just
    broke that these 17,000 laptops being shipped to Nigeria will be running
    Windows.

  5. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    [H]omer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that skydweller spake thusly:
    >
    > [snip sarcasm]
    >
    > So because, as you admit, every aspect of life has elements of
    > corruption, then in your opinion the solution is to give up, never speak
    > out against that corruption, shrug your shoulders, and say "that's just
    > the way it is"?
    >
    > It's a good thing that your ancestors didn't think the way you do,
    > because by now the flag flying outside city hall would probably be a
    > swastika instead of the Stars and Stripes.
    >
    > I don't mean to troll you, since you are obviously a Linux advocate,
    > albeit a rather naive one, but apathy is IMHO just as condemnable as
    > malevolence. Or IOW, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of
    > the problem.

    We seem to agree that there are many problems which could use rectification,
    corruption being one of them; I'd venture to guess that we even agree on
    most of the problems. I took specific issue with the characterization of
    Intel in your post - not that they aren't sleazebags (they are), but that
    it is a distraction to focus on that in the context of a discussion of the
    merits of competing educational platforms. And, by the way, I stand by
    what I said (though I will apologize for the tone): there is in many
    (most) cases no alternative than to hold one's nose and go forward. When
    there's a better alternative, I'm all over it.

    Speaking of aroma, the Nigeria/Microsoft deal stinks to high heaven. It
    would be a treat if some major media outlet picked up on this. Just a
    straight reporting of the facts and timeline would suffice; let the public
    draw its own conclusions. I expect to be ice fishing in hell before I see
    that.

    I am far from apathetic; I focus on areas where I am able to make an impact.
    Two local churches (mine, and my wife's employer) are now running open
    source software (churchdb, LAMP stack) to manage various aspects of their
    congregations and ministries. The apps live on my personal web hosting
    account (and, no, I won't post the URL in this cesspool), and now that
    they're set up they pretty much run themselves. Cleansing the initial data
    was fun ... I'm also involved in various other volunteer work
    (non-computer related). War is fought on many battlefields, and no one can
    fight on all of them.

    As for my ancestors - let's just say that I have three uncles who are
    younger than I; Grandpa caught on to "free love" in the 1950's

    Have a nice day.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  6. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    skydweller espoused:
    > [H]omer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that skydweller spake thusly:

    >>> It *is* great they're getting linux. I don't care if Intel makes a
    >>> profit;

    >> Do you care that they sabotaged a charity to make that profit?

    > Oh my goodness, Intel management are not without sin. There's a newsflash.
    > Neither is AMD. Nor Sun. Nor IBM. Nor Apple. Nor you, nor I, or anyone
    > else for that matter.

    Profit and profiteering are different. Those who break the rules should
    be called on it, and appropriate action taken, no matter who they are.

  7. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:44:32 -0500, DFS wrote:

    Taking over from flatty, I see. YOu're just as tedious as he is.

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 15:14:15 +0100, Peter Kršnkwonov wrote:

    > I was interested in this Digg thing that the Flatfish guy talks
    > about. It does seem that Roy has no credibility anywhere anymore. All
    > of his posts are regularly laughed at by real Linux users. Why is he
    > doing this to himself?

    The only person say this is flatfish. Oh, and by the way, you're not
    fooling anyone.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    wrote:

    >I was interested in this Digg thing that the Flatfish guy talks
    >about. It does seem that Roy has no credibility anywhere anymore. All
    >of his posts are regularly laughed at by real Linux users. Why is he
    >doing this to himself?

    One minor correction, Roy has credibility in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    but seeing as comp.os.linux.advocacy has no credibility, maybe you are
    correct.

    Roy Schestowitz is getting destroyed on digg, but you really have to
    read the comments to understand how people feel about his posts.
    The rating, while terrible, doesn't tell the entire story.

  10. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:00:08 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > And all based on facts, unlike the COLA nuts posts.

    Ahahahhahah! Please, stop, my sides are hurting.

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Dec 1, 11:26 am, Kier wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:00:08 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    > > And all based on facts, unlike the COLA nuts posts.

    > Ahahahhahah! Please, stop, my sides are hurting.

    Yes, we get it, you don't like flatfish. Anyone want to take bets on
    the number of Roy Microsoft Posts vs. the number of Kier I hate
    Flatfish posts for the month of December?

  12. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:56:47 -0800, cc wrote:

    > On Dec 1, 11:26 am, Kier wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:00:08 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >> > And all based on facts, unlike the COLA nuts posts.

    >> Ahahahhahah! Please, stop, my sides are hurting.
    >>

    > Yes, we get it, you don't like flatfish. Anyone want to take bets on
    > the number of Roy Microsoft Posts vs. the number of Kier I hate
    > Flatfish posts for the month of December?

    Well, considering you currently don't contribute a whole lot to Lonux
    advocacy, I don't see why I should take your advice.

    Still, I'll admit, it's getting a little samey for me. But then flatty is
    a nasty piece of work, well-deserving of the contempt.

    His worst characteristic in some ways is that he's perfectly capable of
    sensible posts that do say something useful, but that he'd rather be a
    snide, lying arsehole who slags off Linux.

    --
    Kier

  13. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    ____/ Kier on Saturday 01 December 2007 18:13 : \____

    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:56:47 -0800, cc wrote:

    >>> Ahahahhahah! Please, stop, my sides are hurting.
    >>>

    >> Yes, we get it, you don't like flatfish. Anyone want to take bets on
    >> the number of Roy Microsoft Posts vs. the number of Kier I hate
    >> Flatfish posts for the month of December?

    I will stop writing about Microsoft when it stops attacking Linux so viciously.
    There are two sides to consider in a ceasefire and we can't be blind to one
    that attacks us secretly.

    > Well, considering you currently don't contribute a whole lot to Lonux
    > advocacy, I don't see why I should take your advice.
    >
    > Still, I'll admit, it's getting a little samey for me. But then flatty is
    > a nasty piece of work, well-deserving of the contempt.

    It craves the attention, so the best contempt is having it ignored.

    > His worst characteristic in some ways is that he's perfectly capable of
    > sensible posts that do say something useful, but that he'd rather be a
    > snide, lying arsehole who slags off Linux.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    20:00:02 up 31 days, 23:58, 3 users, load average: 0.99, 0.78, 0.59

  14. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:06:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >It craves the attention, so the best contempt is having it ignored.

    That's funny Roy.
    You post 1000's of messages per month to every corner of the Internet
    and *I'm* the one craving attention.

    Good one!
    You're one funny guy!

  15. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:06:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It craves the attention, so the best contempt is having it ignored.

    > That's funny Roy.
    > You post 1000's of messages per month to every corner of the Internet
    > and *I'm* the one craving attention.

    I'll bet your output is /far/ higher, flatty, without even the benefit
    of retrieving and collecting already-posted content.

    > Good one!
    > You're one funny guy!

    You're one "noiseless patient spider"!

    --
    Tux rox!

  16. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Dec 1, 1:13 pm, Kier wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:56:47 -0800, cc wrote:

    > >> Ahahahhahah! Please, stop, my sides are hurting.

    > > Yes, we get it, you don't like flatfish. Anyone want to take bets on
    > > the number of Roy Microsoft Posts vs. the number of Kier I hate
    > > Flatfish posts for the month of December?

    > Well, considering you currently don't contribute a whole lot to Lonux
    > advocacy, I don't see why I should take your advice.

    If I had actually posted advice, I would suggest you take it. But I
    just posted an observation, nothing more.

    > Still, I'll admit, it's getting a little samey for me. But then flatty is
    > a nasty piece of work, well-deserving of the contempt.

    There are plenty of posters I consider nasty pieces of work and well
    deserving of my contempt. What makes your opinion right and mine wrong?

  17. Re: [News] Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:06:51 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > IOW, if I use Linux at home and my job requires me to use Windows,
    > that's ok. It's even ok to make comparisons and form an opinion as to
    > which one is better and it's still ok to advocate Linux, within reason.

    Thank you for the permission.

    -Thufir

  18. Re: Nigeria Orders Linux Laptops for Education

    On Dec 1, 8:44 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > skydweller wrote:
    >

    > RexBallard: I'm a Visionary for the Linux Community
    > DFS: Nice to meet you, Rex. What do you do for a living?
    > Rex: I sell proprietary, closed-source products for IBM

    Actually, I don't SELL any products for IBM. I do not make
    commissions. In fact, I'm only rated on utilization and additional
    consulting work such as new engagements and change related work. I
    don't get paid for selling anything. If the customer already has
    Oracle, or AIX, or DB2, that's part of the solution. I'm also rated
    on the customer satisfaction with the solution.

    I frequently use Open Source Software and even Linux as part of my
    solutions. These Linux systems can be used for everything from CVS
    repositories, to gateway processors, to database servers. I often
    have customers telling me they want Linux instead of AIX or Windows.
    Customers know they get a lot of bang for the buck from Linux.

    I also use Windows at times, for certain tasks. Often, for .NET
    interfaces.

+ Reply to Thread