Wii Games' Questionable Quality - Linux

This is a discussion on Wii Games' Questionable Quality - Linux ; Numerous Wii games are simply a compilation of short mini games (Wii Play, Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball Blitz, Chicken Shoot etc.). This certainly does not satisfy a serious gamer. I mean, I agree that the console is undoubtedly better ...

  1. Wii Games' Questionable Quality

    Numerous Wii games are simply a compilation of short mini games (Wii
    Play, Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball Blitz, Chicken Shoot etc.). This
    certainly does not satisfy a serious gamer. I mean, I agree that the
    console is undoubtedly better that the PS3 but what is the point of
    having a Wii if there are not top-notch games that have complex and
    entertaining storylines.

  2. Re: Wii Games' Questionable Quality

    On Oct 30, 6:30 pm, markhambaseba...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Numerous Wii games are simply a compilation of short mini games (Wii
    > Play, Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball Blitz, Chicken Shoot etc.).

    Even the promotional television commercials don't try to make a big
    deal about the quality of the video.

    > This
    > certainly does not satisfy a serious gamer. I mean, I agree that the
    > console is undoubtedly better that the PS3

    I'm not sure I would agree with that either. PS3 machines have lots
    of horsepower, HDTV video, and really good 3D graphics rendering.
    That isn't the issue.

    > but what is the point of
    > having a Wii if there are not top-notch games that have complex and
    > entertaining storylines.

    The remarkable thing that WII did was focus on why people play video
    games, and how to enhance THAT experience. They realized that people
    wanted a game experience that was similar to the real experience.
    When you go to the video archade, the most popular games are the ones
    where you hold a gun, lean on the motorcycle, or manipulate a viewer
    using 3D goggles to sight the target.

    WII found a way to more effectively simulate the common motions
    required for a more "life-like" experience. Their controllers make
    you swing the club, swing the bat, role the bowling ball, or throw
    punches. The result is more enjoyment and fun because you aren't just
    "vegging out" in the chair.

    Microsoft and Sony got so enamored with the possibility of real-time
    3D animations that they lost track of the objectives of the device.

    When you buy a car, you are buying reliable transportation. The
    Compact is much more popular because it does the job it needs to do at
    a reasonable price. People with more disposable income might pay
    substantially more for a Luxury car with Leather Upholstry, or an SUV
    with built-in entertainment systems, but you don't buy the car for the
    Leather Upholstry or the entertainment system (regardless of what some
    recent SUV commercials may try to claim). As a result, economy cars,
    which cost less to make and are sold for much less, are still more
    "popular" in terms of the number of units sold and ownership based on
    percentage of the population.

    Linux users often lose track of the fact that the primary reason
    people purchase PCs is to write letters, publish newsletters, send e-
    mail, browse the web, and balance their checkbooks.

    Business people might also want more features, such as the ability to
    make sales presentations, to forecast and plan projects, and to
    collaborate with other project members.

    Linux users often pick Linux because they like being able to program
    their computers, they like having the extra control, or they like the
    extra security.

    Windows focuses on the basics. Ironically, one of the reasons that
    Vista is failing is because it's not adding substantial value that
    merits the extra expense.

    If I have the choice between a car that gets me to and from work every
    day, remains comfortable enough for drives of less than 2 hours, gets
    50 miles per gallon, and costs $8000, or a car that usually starts in
    the morning, frequently stalls as I accelerate onto the highway, get 2
    miles per gallon and uses a fuel that costs $5 per gallon, but it has
    nice leather seats AND an entertainment console in the back seat, and
    costs $50,000 - I'm probably not going to choose the big Kenworth
    tractor over the Honda Civic. It's unlikely that others will choose
    the Kenworth either.

    For the same reason, people aren't in a big rush to upgrade to Vista.
    Ironically, if Microsoft pushes the upgrade too agressively, they
    could push people into using Linux - much the same way that their push
    to get corporate IT shops to stop using NT and license Windows 2000 or
    Windows 2003 at $12,000 to $18,000 per server - drove those companies
    to move as many servers as possible to Linux.

    Many companies are looking much more seriously at Linux on the
    desktop. They are looking much more aggressively at options such as
    desktop virtualization to aid in the transition. They are looking
    much more aggressively at options such as ODF based document tools to
    aid in the transition. They are looking much more aggressively at
    widespread use of FireFox and mandating FireFox support for vendors,
    and for their own sites. They are cutting ties with companies who
    won't support FireFox and browsers that run on Linux.

    Ironically, Microsoft may slit it's own throat if the the court opts
    not to extend their monitoring and all of the other provisions of the
    Antitrust Settlement. They will try and force a migration to Vista,
    and that could radically accelerate the migration to Linux, ODF, and
    OSS.

  3. Rex Ballard: citations please ..

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    Citations please for these statements of yours ...

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...d44043ede488d8

  4. Re: Rex Ballard: citations please ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    > Citations please for these statements of yours ...
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...d44043ede488d8

    You're wasting your time.

    Rex is extremely dishonest and will slink away and will never provide enough
    detail for you to prove he's a liar. You'll have to do it yourself, as I
    did when I emailed James Gosling at Sun Microsystems and notified him that
    Rex Ballard claimed Java was based on Rex's work. Gosling wrote back and
    said

    "Absolutely no truth to it. Never heard of the guy."
    http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0...g_response.PNG

    After that response, Rex changed his website a little, and now claims he's
    responsible for only the RMI (remote method invocation) protocols part of
    Java. See http://www.open4success.org/bio/index.html The Phantom of the
    Internet, about 1/2 way down.

    You have to let it go, and let Rex live in his fantasy world.

+ Reply to Thread