Anything even close to Visio for Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anything even close to Visio for Linux? - Linux ; I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE but are not exactly a Network Admins friend. Any ...

  1. Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice
    graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.

    Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in the
    Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    now.

  2. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    ~./where wrote:
    > I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice
    > graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    > but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >
    > Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in the
    > Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    > now.

    I use Visio under Linux.

  3. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:44:02 -0600, Chris Cox
    wrote:
    > ~./where wrote:
    >> I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice
    >> graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    >> but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in the
    >> Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    >> now.
    >>

    > I use Visio under Linux.

    I have used the drawing tool in OpenOffice. I have found networking
    icons and flowchart symbols out on the Internet. It is not near as
    easy as Visio but it is workable.

    --
    Frank Hahn

  4. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    ~./where wrote:
    > I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really

    a nice
    > graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are

    FREE
    > but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >
    > Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this

    in the
    > Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library

    set...for
    > now.

    Not sure if this will meet your needs -- haven't done more than play
    with it.

    KDE's KOffice comes with Kivio.

    http://www.koffice.org/kivio/

    Their commercial version is available here:

    http://www.thekompany.com/projects/kivio/

    The KOffice stencil set is so-so while theKompany sells a fair variety.
    The "basic" set comes with the demo download and you can purchase
    more.

    http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/stencils.php3

    hth,
    prg

  5. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    ~./where wrote:

    > I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a
    > nice
    > graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    > but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >
    > Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in
    > the
    > Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    > now.

    The package Dia has hundreds of premade symbols like flowcharts, UML,
    networking etc.

  6. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    Spake ~./where:
    > I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do

    Here is a list of UML programs I collated recently.

    [52]Unimodeller
    Dunno, never tried it.

    [53]Umbrello (KDE)
    I'll write this one later. You can't export to PostScript or PDF
    from the command line, only via the GUI. Therefore you can't
    automate exporting with Make.

    [54]Dia (GTK2)
    Built as a clone of Visio (before Microsoft bought it). Klugy
    interface, but a fancy GUI to edit class internals. Automated
    edge placement, but it doesn't cope well if you move nodes
    around. Exports to PostScript or C++ stubs (via script).

    Fig / XFig (Motif?)
    Yecch. Klugy, mouse-centric interface. Difficult (AFAIK) to
    change placed objects. Has a lot of momentum, because it's about
    the oldest vector tool around.

    [55]Inkscape (GTK2)
    What XFig would like to be. Fantastic interface design, but
    deals with vector graphics in general rather than diagrams, so
    it (currently) lacks important stuff like "attaching" edges to
    nodes.

    [56]Graphviz (CLI)
    Graphviz is primarily a graph layout tool, but it has been
    extended for in class diagrams. By far the most readable source
    files, especially if you preprocess with e.g. CPP and #define
    CLASS shape=.... Graphviz automatically lays out both nodes and
    edges, so kluges are sometimes necessary to get a better layout.

    [57]PST-UML (LaTeX)
    A LaTeX package using PSTricks. Never tried it.

    [58]ArgoUML (Java)
    I Don't Do Java, so I've never tried it.

    [59]OmniGraffle (OS X)
    Commercial. Very pretty, but when I played with it I didn't like
    it's UML support. Nice interface.

    IBM Rational Rose (Windows)
    I Don't Do Windows, so I've never tried it.

    [60]Violet (Java)
    I Don't Do Java, so I've never tried it.

    [61]Microsoft Visio (Windows)
    I Don't Do Windows, so I've never tried it. Public opinion is
    that it has gone downhill since Microsoft bought it.

    52. http://www.unimodeler.com/
    53. http://uml.sf.net/
    54. http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia
    55. http://inkscape.org/
    56. http://graphviz.org/
    57. http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/grap...ntrib/pst-uml/
    58. http://argouml.tigris.org/
    59. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
    60. http://www.horstmann.com/violet/
    61. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010857981033.aspx

  7. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    "~./where" wrote in message news:...
    > I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice
    > graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    > but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >
    > Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in the
    > Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    > now.

    OOo draw does most of it, but you will need a stencil set - the
    gallery works well once loaded.

  8. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    Robert E A Harvey wrote:
    > "~./where" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a nice
    >>graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these are FREE
    >>but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >>
    >>Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this in the
    >>Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library set...for
    >>now.

    > OOo draw does most of it, but you will need a stencil set - the
    > gallery works well once loaded.

    If you're running K Desktop, you might try Kivio.

  9. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    Trent Buck kiedys napisal:

    > IBM Rational Rose (Windows)
    > I Don't Do Windows, so I've never tried it.

    https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...&S_CMP=DEVXLNX

    Sorry for long URL

  10. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    Chris Cox schrieb:
    > ~./where wrote:
    >
    >> I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a
    >> nice graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these
    >> are FREE but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this
    >> in the Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library
    >> set...for now.
    >>

    > I use Visio under Linux.

    Native or with Crossover-Office?
    --
    GMU/L d- s+:+ a17 C++ UL++ P+ L++ E--- W-- N+ o? K- w-- O- M+ V- PS+
    PE-- Y-- PGP t- 5 X- R tv+ b++ DI D++ G e* h! r y+

  11. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    Raistlin Daruma wrote:

    >> I use Visio under Linux.

    > Native or with Crossover-Office?

    He /could/ use kivio, which is native.

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  12. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:14:36 +0000, Raistlin Daruma
    wrote:

    >Chris Cox schrieb:
    >> ~./where wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am lookinf for a tool that does half of what Visio can do - really a
    >>> nice graphics library set. I'm not wanting to use Dia or xfig...these
    >>> are FREE but are not exactly a Network Admins friend.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestion asides from writing one? Or where can we suggest this
    >>> in the Linux world? All we need are some nice icon / graphics library
    >>> set...for now.

    What about sodipodi on sourceforge. This is a vector illustration
    package with SVG output. Depends of course if you want visio for
    all the pre-defined libraries. On sodipodi you would have to define
    your own.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

  13. Re: Anything even close to Visio for Linux?

    what about dia, that aims, to do a simiar job.

    paul

    Anton Erasmus wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:14:36 +0000, Raistlin Daruma
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Cox schrieb:

    > What about sodipodi on sourceforge. This is a vector illustration
    > package with SVG output. Depends of course if you want visio for
    > all the pre-defined libraries. On sodipodi you would have to define
    > your own.
    >
    > Regards
    > Anton Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread