[News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further - Linux ; ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 30 October 2007 23:30 : \____ > After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom: > >> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:24:32 -0700, Tom Shelton wrote: >> >>> On ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 30 October 2007 23:30 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> It's not true. I use powershell on Vista Ultimate almost every day.
    >>> It might have been true, when vista was released, but hasn't been true
    >>> fro quite some time.

    > I almost downloaded PowerShell a few days ago. But those dang system
    > verification thingies got my goat. The audacity!
    >
    > Besides, how was I going to authenticate my Linux system with Microsoft?
    >
    >> Indeed, that's just more of Roy trying to pawn of year-old "news" stories
    >> as current.

    > Well, it's only about a year old.
    >
    > Still, that's a long time in computing terms, even for Microsoft.
    >
    > Maybe Roy should add the date as part of the posting.

    I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The article itself
    was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
    Tasks: 123 total, 1 running, 122 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  2. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:59:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 30 October 2007 23:30 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o'
    >> wisdom:

    >> I almost downloaded PowerShell a few days ago. But those dang system
    >> verification thingies got my goat. The audacity!
    >>
    >> Besides, how was I going to authenticate my Linux system with
    >> Microsoft?
    >>
    >>> Indeed, that's just more of Roy trying to pawn of year-old "news"
    >>> stories as current.

    >> Well, it's only about a year old.
    >>
    >> Still, that's a long time in computing terms, even for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Maybe Roy should add the date as part of the posting.

    > I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The article
    > itself was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    So you are a liar.
    No dispute there.

    --
    flatfish+++

    "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
    "Is this the year of Linux?"
    "Linux is free only when your time has no value"

  3. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:59:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Maybe Roy should add the date as part of the posting.

    > I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The article itself
    > was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    Ahh.. that must be why you said "Microsoft PowerShell isn't Vista-ready
    either", using the current tense and claiming that TODAY it's not, then
    presented an article from a year ago that was out of date within weeks.

    And you wonder why people think you're intentionally being dishonest.

  4. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    On Oct 30, 8:12 am, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > Microsoft PowerShell isn't Vista-ready, either

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | As a few other bloggers noted yesterday, Microsoft's newly
    > > | released PowerShell command-line shell and scripting language
    > > | doesn't currently work with Windows Vista.
    > > `----

    > >http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=105

    > If true, the above is incredible.
    >
    > --
    > PowerSmell!

    It's not true. I use powershell on Vista Ultimate almost every day.
    It might have been true, when vista was released, but hasn't been true
    fro quite some time.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  5. Re: [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...e-with-hotwire

    >>> "Heavily inspired by Microsoft Powershell..."
    >>>
    >>> ho hum. So what else is new?
    >>>
    >>> Rhetorical question: what technology in the Linux/OSS world isn't
    >>> "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based on", "implementation of" a
    >>> Microsoft app or other commercial app or technology?

    >> I'll answer a rhetorical question with another.
    >>
    >> Who "borrowed" TCP/IP from whom?

    > What! Besides the PowerShell features, did those linux bastards steal the
    > TCP/IP stack from someone too? Because it sure wasn't Microsoft that
    > "borrowed" someone TCP/IP stack.
    >

    > http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displays.../19/05641/7357
    >
    > [quote]
    > I worked at Microsoft for ten years, most of it on the core Windows
    > NT/2000 (hereafter referred to as NT) networking code. As such I briefly
    > dealt with the Hotmail team, mostly to hear them complain about the
    > lameness of the telnet daemon in NT (a valid point). I do know that when
    > Microsoft bought Hotmail, the email system was entirely running on
    > FreeBSD, and Microsoft immediately set about trying to migrate it to NT,
    > and it took many years to do so. Now it seems that the transition is not
    > complete. Well, what are you gonna do.
    > On the other hand, I know a lot about the TCP/IP stack that is running on
    > NT. Here is a short history of it (some of this may also be told in the
    > book How the Web Was Won, but I haven't read it):
    > [-quote]

    Reading further ...

    Along with Spider's stack came versions of various TCP/IP-related utility
    programs, such as ftp, rcp and rsh. Those were ported from BSD sockets to
    winsock (not a huge change) and bundled with NT.

    Now, some of Spider's code (possibly all of it) was based on the TCP/IP
    stack in the BSD flavors of Unix. These are open source, but distributed
    under the BSD license, not the GPL that Linux is released under. Whereas
    the GPL states that any software derived from GPL'ed software must also be
    released under the GPL, the BSD license basically says, "here's the source,
    you can do whatever you want, just give credit to the original author."

    Apparently, *according to someone who worked at Microsoft for ten years*,
    this came from the OSS world (BSD). Of course it's not stolen, neither by
    Microsoft nor by linux, since it is free to use under the BSD license, but
    I think "borrowed from" the OSS world is a pretty apt description here.
    And it clearly is not "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based
    on", "implementation of a" Microsoft or any commercial app.

    Since we're on the subject of original (not "inspired by", etc., Microsoft &
    commercial) linux/OSS technology, you should check out the early history of
    the world wide web (yet another trivial technology). Specifically, the
    first browser and web server. Something to do with particle physics
    research, I think. Strictly (non) commercial.

    Have a nice day.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  6. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    > I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The article itself
    > was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    I'd put in the dateline, meself!

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 30, 8:12 am, Linonut wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >> > Microsoft PowerShell isn't Vista-ready, either

    > It's not true. I use powershell on Vista Ultimate almost every day.
    > It might have been true, when vista was released, but hasn't been true
    > fro quite some time.

    You answered twice!

    Anyway, looks like Cygwin will do for me.

  8. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    On Oct 30, 8:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > On Oct 30, 8:12 am, Linonut wrote:
    > >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > > It's not true. I use powershell on Vista Ultimate almost every day.
    > > It might have been true, when vista was released, but hasn't been true
    > > fro quite some time.

    > You answered twice!

    Weird... I didn't. Must have been google.

    > Anyway, looks like Cygwin will do for me.

    I use cygwin as well.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  9. Roy the hypocrite

    In article <5335532.QcURzDhb0b@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The
    > article itself was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    Considering how quickly you bitch at people on Digg for daring to post a
    story that is already a week or two old, how do you justify posting
    things that are a year old?

  10. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    ____/ Tim Smith on Wednesday 31 October 2007 06:24 : \____

    > In article <5335532.QcURzDhb0b@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> I'll add something like "Older:" to stuff that's quite old. The
    >> article itself was no inaccurate. It was correct at the time.

    > Considering how quickly you bitch at people on Digg for daring to post a
    > story that is already a week or two old, how do you justify posting
    > things that are a year old?

    "Roy" in the subject line, so I see this.

    There's a big difference between having old stories appended to a new story and
    actually submitting old stories to site that revolves mainly around news. The
    reason a no-longer-correct reference was included, by the way (forgot to
    mention this in my previous message) is that I often grab groups of postings
    rather than assess them on a one-by-one basis. It's risky, but the issue you
    raise was not deliberate nonetheless.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    The folks on the Ubuntu CD cover need to apt-get shirt, not sudo fsck.
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  11. Re: Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 30, 8:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> You answered twice!

    > Weird... I didn't. Must have been google.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Shelton

    You're slippin', Tom, you forgot the " " after the "--" !

    (Just razzin' ya man!)

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    In article <2432574.1AQiuV4eB4@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > mention this in my previous message) is that I often grab groups of postings
    > rather than assess them on a one-by-one basis. It's risky, but the issue you
    > raise was not deliberate nonetheless.

    So you go for quantity over quality. Is that also why you don't
    proofread? To get the posts out faster?

    Maybe you should consider posting a few *quality* posts a week, instead
    of trying to spam as much as you can.

  13. Re: [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:36:32 +0000
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor wrote on
    >> Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:39:10 -0400
    >> <47277c7c$0$26469$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    >>> It would be better to simply send the 'object' across and
    >>> automatically remap the address space of the object across the two
    >>> scripts without having to copy the data.

    >> Gosh, how "innovative"! The Amiga was doing that, albeit not at the
    >> shell level, back in the mid-80's! :-)

    > AmgiaDOS had access to shared objects through both Workbench and the
    > console via ARexx, provided that the supporting application had the
    > necessary Arexx port and allowed such object access internally (as many
    > did). Of course there were other mechanisms too, such as the
    > multifarious handlers in SYS:L.

    Actually, I was thinking the Message/Port stuff at a lower
    level, but yes, Amiga was very good at passing objects
    in system. Outside of system was a little harder, and
    I don't think AmigaOS quite worked that out.

    But then, this was before C++ and Java, after all.

    >>> This would be especially useful if the second script that accepts
    >>> this object as an input parameter did very little with the object
    >>> then say... see if the collection is empty or not.

    > There should be no restrictions on what can or cannot be done with
    > shared resources, provided the correct locking mechanisms are used,
    > and the right security contexts.
    >
    >> In which case one might simply pass a count instead.

    > Indeed.
    >
    > Both pipes and shm are useful in different circumstances, in particular
    > shm is of little use WRT network resources, virtualisation, sandboxing,
    > printing, or frankly anything other than in-place operations that
    > typically preclude backup objects.

    I can get real Smalltalkish, admittedly; what is an object
    anyway? At best, it's something that can receive a message
    and contains data (and in a pinch one can skip the data,
    resulting in, among other things, proxies -- of course the
    proxy has to be able to find its destination).

    At worst, it's a phantom concern; it all reduces to
    machine language in the end. (Which machine, of course,
    is negotiable.)

    Java/EJB, for example, is an interesting implementation of
    proxies autogenerated by the client side (the communication
    uses a proprietary binary RMI, which IINM is a variant of
    the .class file format.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  14. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:41:01 -0500
    :
    > In article <2432574.1AQiuV4eB4@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> mention this in my previous message) is that I often
    >> grab groups of postings rather than assess them on a
    >> one-by-one basis. It's risky, but the issue you
    >> raise was not deliberate nonetheless.

    > So you go for quantity over quality. Is that also
    > why you don't proofread? To get the posts out faster?
    >
    > Maybe you should consider posting a few *quality* posts
    > a week, instead of trying to spam as much as you can.

    Maybe, but then I have a question for you: who determines
    what is a quality post?

    [a] Roy Schestowitz?

    [b] An impartial group of neutral observers? (Good luck
    finding one, at this point.)

    [c] A self-selected group of COLA lurkers?

    [d] Denizens of alt.flame, alt.os.windows, alt.24hrsupport,
    or alt.2600, to which COLA messages are occasionally
    cross-posted?

    [e] Microsoft?

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  15. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    In article <28qmv4-ht4.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > > Maybe you should consider posting a few *quality* posts
    > > a week, instead of trying to spam as much as you can.

    > Maybe, but then I have a question for you: who determines
    > what is a quality post?
    >
    > [a] Roy Schestowitz?
    >
    > [b] An impartial group of neutral observers? (Good luck
    > finding one, at this point.)
    >
    > [c] A self-selected group of COLA lurkers?
    >
    > [d] Denizens of alt.flame, alt.os.windows, alt.24hrsupport,
    > or alt.2600, to which COLA messages are occasionally
    > cross-posted?
    >
    > [e] Microsoft?

    Generally, pretty much all of those proposed arbiters would find that
    posts that are proofread and checked by the poster would tend to be
    higher quality.

    Sure, some people who proofread and check their posts produce low
    quality posts, but at least there's a chance they might not, and they
    are trying. Roy's mass-production approach *guarantees* that he won't
    achieve quality.

  16. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    On 2007-10-31, The Ghost In The Machine claimed:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >
    > wrote

    >> Maybe you should consider posting a few *quality* posts
    >> a week, instead of trying to spam as much as you can.

    > Maybe, but then I have a question for you: who determines
    > what is a quality post?
    >
    > [a] Roy Schestowitz?
    >
    > [b] An impartial group of neutral observers? (Good luck
    > finding one, at this point.)
    >
    > [c] A self-selected group of COLA lurkers?
    >
    > [d] Denizens of alt.flame, alt.os.windows, alt.24hrsupport,
    > or alt.2600, to which COLA messages are occasionally
    > cross-posted?
    >
    > [e] Microsoft?

    [e] Timmy FUDkenbusch Quark?

    --
    A girlfriend may be a free trial, but you get a life sentence.

  17. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sinister Midget

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:32:39 -0500
    :
    > On 2007-10-31, The Ghost In The Machine claimed:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
    >>
    >> wrote

    >>> Maybe you should consider posting a few *quality* posts
    >>> a week, instead of trying to spam as much as you can.

    >> Maybe, but then I have a question for you: who determines
    >> what is a quality post?
    >>
    >> [a] Roy Schestowitz?
    >>
    >> [b] An impartial group of neutral observers? (Good luck
    >> finding one, at this point.)
    >>
    >> [c] A self-selected group of COLA lurkers?
    >>
    >> [d] Denizens of alt.flame, alt.os.windows, alt.24hrsupport,
    >> or alt.2600, to which COLA messages are occasionally
    >> cross-posted?
    >>
    >> [e] Microsoft?

    > [e] Timmy FUDkenbusch Quark?

    Oops...though that was covered somewhere. :-) But yes,
    the entire question might be put pithily as "who decides?".

    Quality is on occasion in the eye of the beholder,
    though not always (e.g., it's not difficult for most
    to distinguish a river of clean pure water from a river
    full of smelly industrial waste, but there are gray areas
    in between, and the gray areas are where some might see
    half-empty and others half-full).

    In any event he's yet to answer my question, though I'm
    not sure if I can answer it either; I know what I like but
    it's not for everybody.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's there and it works.
    Windows. It's there, but does it work?

  18. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Let's not pretend c.o.l.a. produces ~10000 articles a month at all. A
    > vast majority come from a single person. If that single person would
    > post quality posts, one would assume the quality of c.o.l.a. would go
    > up.

    Aye, cc, aye!

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    In article <1336791.SV6QHC7mis@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I proofread properly and rewrite bits if I write papers or articles. These
    > are /discussions/. It's like instant messaging. We exchange knowledge, which
    > we can later apply when we write technical things that are more accurate.
    > Let's not pretend that c.o.l.a. produces ~10,000 high-quality 'articles' per
    > month. It's about exchange of information, a discussion...

    So it's OK to waste people's time with poor, misleading, inaccurate
    articles, because this is just a discussion?

  20. Re: Roy the hypocrite

    On Oct 31, 9:39 pm, "[H]omer" wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
    >
    > > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    > >> Let's not pretend c.o.l.a. produces ~10000 articles a month at all.
    > >> A vast majority come from a single person. If that single person
    > >> would post quality posts, one would assume the quality of c.o.l.a.
    > >> would go up.

    > More likely it would become overrun by idiots like you and the other
    > trolls, essentially turning COLA into a Microsoft stock ticker.

    Ahh yes. Roy's barrage of inaccurate Microsoft stories really do keep
    out all the Linux horror story posts and posts discussing Roy's
    sexuality. Not to mention the corrections and criticism he receives.
    Also, I am neither an idiot nor a troll, thank you very much.