[News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda - Linux ; Miguel's delusions of grandeur ,----[ Quote ] | What is Miguel de Icaza's latest game? His obsession with tailgating | everything that Microsoft develops - and trying to impress the company by | producing Linux equivalents - now seems to ...

  1. [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    Miguel's delusions of grandeur

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What is Miguel de Icaza's latest game? His obsession with tailgating
    | everything that Microsoft develops - and trying to impress the company by
    | producing Linux equivalents - now seems to be spreading to others as well.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15089/1091/

    Related:

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

    OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
    | products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
    | distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
    | the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
    | what basis they want to fight the free world.
    |
    | Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
    | from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
    | over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

    Open Source Evolutionary *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some people say the drawback to Mono is the saber rattling from Microsoft
    | about patent, and that it doesn't support the latest versions of .NET. What
    | is your relationship like with Microsoft these days? *
    |
    | [Miguel:] So, I have two positions, and one is speaking as the person
    | managing the Mono team, and then there is another answer speaking as a Novell
    | vice president. So from the position of the open source community -- a
    | position not attached to Novell -- we as any other software project are aware
    | that software patents are a problem. We don't like them. We think they're bad
    | for the industry, but we know that we need to abide by that system. So we
    | have a very strict policy, that we'll not knowingly introduce patented code
    | into the Mono code base. If somebody raises an issue with us about a patent,
    | or that we're infringing on their code base, we'll be more than happy to
    | either do an investigation to see if there's prior art that will invalidate a
    | patent claim, or basically re-implement the same functionality using a
    | different approach. Or, if worse comes to worse, removing the code from Mono.
    | And I think that's pretty much the same rule that every open source project
    | has to use. * * * * * *
    `----

    http://reddevnews.com/qandas/article...itorialsid=115

  2. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > Miguel's delusions of grandeur
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | What is Miguel de Icaza's latest game? His obsession with tailgating
    > | everything that Microsoft develops - and trying to impress the company
    > by
    > | producing Linux equivalents - now seems to be spreading to others as
    > well.
    > `----

    I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things without
    some ulterior motive.

  3. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    "Jim Relsh" wrote in message

    > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >> Miguel's delusions of grandeur
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | What is Miguel de Icaza's latest game? His obsession with tailgating
    >> | everything that Microsoft develops - and trying to impress the company
    >> by
    >> | producing Linux equivalents - now seems to be spreading to others as
    >> well.
    >> `----

    > I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things
    > without some ulterior motive.

    Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.

  4. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    ____/ Bruce Banner on Tuesday 30 October 2007 12:18 : \____

    > "Jim Relsh" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >>> Miguel's delusions of grandeur
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> by
    >>> well.
    >>> `----

    >> I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things
    >> without some ulterior motive.

    > Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    > instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.

    Do you think that Microsoft, where Miguel virtually has his second job, wishes
    to see Linux growing and thriving?

    Microsoft's latest plan is to hurt Linux and OSS by making it non-free
    (gratis). Miguel puts C# in OOo, you know...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

  5. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 30 October 2007 11:55 : \____

    >> Miguel's delusions of grandeur

    > [...]
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15089/1091/

    > He called Jeff Waugh a "toady". Hehe. He won't like that much.

    Aha! And there I was thinking that Jeff was much better (he advocates Linux in
    the Aussie press and he worked for the anti-patent tax Canonical). Sam's
    narrative explains why Jeff jumped to Miguel's rescue, so to speak. And then
    there's Michael Meeks...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Falsity implies anything

  6. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    "Bruce Banner" schreef in bericht
    news:47271526$0$26450$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > "Jim Relsh" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >>> Miguel's delusions of grandeur
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> by
    >>> well.
    >>> `----

    >> I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things
    >> without some ulterior motive.

    > Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    > instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.

    There's certainly reason and logic behind it...but not the kind that
    benefits Linux and OSS!!

  7. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Bruce Banner on Tuesday 30 October 2007 12:18 : \____
    >

    >> "Jim Relsh" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    >>> I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things
    >>> without some ulterior motive.

    >> Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    >> instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.

    > Do you think that Microsoft, where Miguel virtually has his second job, wishes
    > to see Linux growing and thriving?
    >
    > Microsoft's latest plan is to hurt Linux and OSS by making it non-free
    > (gratis). Miguel puts C# in OOo, you know...

    You're replying to a troll.

  8. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    In article <47273288$0$26438$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Jim Relsh" wrote:
    > > Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    > > instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.
    > >

    > There's certainly reason and logic behind it...but not the kind that
    > benefits Linux and OSS!!

    Yeah, it couldn't possibly benefit Linux and OSS to have a document
    format that actually supports useful spreadsheets.

  9. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <47273288$0$26438$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > "Jim Relsh" wrote:
    >> > Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    >> > instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.
    >> >

    >> There's certainly reason and logic behind it...but not the kind that
    >> benefits Linux and OSS!!

    > Yeah, it couldn't possibly benefit Linux and OSS to have a document
    > format that actually supports useful spreadsheets.

    We have ODF for that, so the answer is 'no.'

  10. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    "Jim Relsh" wrote in message
    news:47276a94$0$26498$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    >>> >

    >>> There's certainly reason and logic behind it...but not the kind that
    >>> benefits Linux and OSS!!

    >> Yeah, it couldn't possibly benefit Linux and OSS to have a document
    >> format that actually supports useful spreadsheets.

    > We have ODF for that, so the answer is 'no.'

    You do *not* have ODF. Sun Microsystems Inc. and Sun Microsystems Inc. alone
    has ODF and they alone decide what it is, how it will work, what it will and
    will not contain and what will and will not be supported.

    Sun Microsystems Inc. simply allows you to use their "Open" format.

  11. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:09:11 +0100, Jim Relsh wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    >> Miguel's delusions of grandeur
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| What is Miguel de Icaza's latest game? His obsession with tailgating
    >>| everything that Microsoft develops - and trying to impress the company
    >> by
    >>| producing Linux equivalents - now seems to be spreading to others as
    >> well.
    >> `----

    > I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things without
    > some ulterior motive.

    ..net is a *good* technical solution. Miguel sees that. Everyone is
    jumping down his throat for non-technical reasons. Not a single person has
    come up with any valid criticisms of .net from a technical perspective.

    Just goes to show, make the wrong political move in the Linux camp and you
    get lynch mobs.

  12. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    On Oct 30, 11:43 am, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:09:11 +0100, Jim Relsh wrote:
    > > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > >> Miguel's delusions of grandeur

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> by
    > >> well.
    > >> `----

    > > I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things without
    > > some ulterior motive.

    > .net is a *good* technical solution. Miguel sees that. Everyone is
    > jumping down his throat for non-technical reasons. Not a single person has
    > come up with any valid criticisms of .net from a technical perspective.

    But is it good and compatible for a GPL project?

    > Just goes to show, make the wrong political move in the Linux camp and you
    > get lynch mobs.

  13. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    On Oct 30, 2:43 pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:09:11 +0100, Jim Relsh wrote:
    > > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > >> Miguel's delusions of grandeur

    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> by
    > >> well.
    > >> `----

    > > I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd things without
    > > some ulterior motive.

    > .net is a *good* technical solution. Miguel sees that. Everyone is
    > jumping down his throat for non-technical reasons. Not a single person has
    > come up with any valid criticisms of .net from a technical perspective.

    Would you consider single-provider and vendor lock-in to be technical
    reasons?

    Are interoperability and the need to be standards-based technical
    reasons?

    Are you saying that the requirement of having access to source code is
    a religious reason?

    -Ramon

  14. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:36:46 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    >> .net is a *good* technical solution. Miguel sees that. Everyone is
    >> jumping down his throat for non-technical reasons. Not a single person has
    >> come up with any valid criticisms of .net from a technical perspective.
    >>

    > Would you consider single-provider and vendor lock-in to be technical
    > reasons?

    Since when are multiple implentations from different sources "single
    provider"? Mono and dotgnu are different implementaitons from different
    sources.

    > Are interoperability and the need to be standards-based technical
    > reasons?

    Umm.. C# *IS* an ISO standard.

    > Are you saying that the requirement of having access to source code is
    > a religious reason?

    All Mono source code is fully available, as is dotgnu.

    What are you talking about, exactly?

  15. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, unionpenny@yahoo.com

    wrote
    on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:15:21 -0700
    <1193771721.637558.273690@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>:
    > On Oct 30, 11:43 am, Erik Funkenbusch
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:09:11 +0100, Jim Relsh wrote:
    >> > "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    >> > I agree with the author. Miguel is too smart to do such stupd
    >> > things without some ulterior motive.

    >> .net is a *good* technical solution. Miguel sees that.
    >> Everyone is jumping down his throat for non-technical
    >> reasons. Not a single person has come up with any valid
    >> criticisms of .net from a technical perspective.

    > But is it good and compatible for a GPL project?

    Define "good and compatible".

    The main technical issue I have with .NET is a
    performance-related one; it is far from clear which of
    the static optimization offered by .NET's compiler/backend
    and the dynamic optimization Java's runtime supports works
    more effectively. Counterbalancing this is .NET's richer
    service support -- SOAP is built into the library, for
    example, and is easily set up. Both are multiplatform,
    and .NET has more languages.

    There are a few non-technical issues, of course, most of them
    having to do with patenting, arbitrary Microsoft revisions,
    and general compatibility with non-Microsoft solutions.
    Also:

    - can a Microsoft-built application run on a non-Microsoft OS
    on Microsoft-compatible hardware? If so, how?
    - can a Microsoft-built application run on a non-Microsoft OS
    on non-Microsoft-compatible hardware? If so, how?
    - can a non-Microsoft-built application run on a Microsoft OS
    on Microsoft-compatible hardware? If so, how?

    I'll admit I prefer Java, but Java has many issues and a
    few licensing quirks. The issues are going to be hard
    to address without major modifications, either:

    - int vs Integer et al (the primitive versus object issue;
    boxing/unboxing is a workaround but hardly a fix)

    - .size() versus .length versus .length()

    - removal of List.get(int); granted, it's useful

    - (new Object[n]).iterator() as opposed to
    Arrays.asList(new Object[n]).iterator()

    - foreach(Object o : (new Object[n])) { ... }

    - metadata retrieval from a Class descriptor (this might
    already be doable but I'd have to look)

    - proper template instantiation and verification (the
    current implementation is a bit of a hack)

    - problematic locale handling; e.g. reading news in Java
    could lead to some interesting issues if some post
    using iso-8859-1 and others using utf-8 -- best I can
    do here is read the socket a byte at a time looking
    for newlines and the '\n.\n' or '\r\n.\r\n' sequence,
    and that's yugly with a capital ugh

    - timezone issues (EST being the worst offender)

    - replacement of the proprietary binary RMI protocol with
    SOAP/XMLP

    - better source code formatting from javadoc

    etc.

    These aren't fatal but they are annoying.

    Not sure what quirks C# has apart from the interesting issue
    of what happens in an expression such as a[b] = c[d] when
    a and c are classes with property setter and getter methods.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  16. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 30 October 2007 14:26 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Bruce Banner on Tuesday 30 October 2007 12:18 : \____
    >>

    >>> "Jim Relsh" wrote in message

    >>> Perhaps Miguel is intelligent enough to be driven by reason and logic
    >>> instead of some compulsive hate of Microsoft.

    >> Do you think that Microsoft, where Miguel virtually has his second job,
    >> wishes to see Linux growing and thriving?
    >>
    >> Microsoft's latest plan is to hurt Linux and OSS by making it non-free
    >> (gratis). Miguel puts C# in OOo, you know...
    >>

    > You're replying to a troll.

    Oops. You're right. It also comes from the same 'ol route (lines appended).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
    Cpu(s): 30.4%us, 5.4%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.2%id, 1.6%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  17. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:25:19 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > The main technical issue I have with .NET is a
    > performance-related one; it is far from clear which of
    > the static optimization offered by .NET's compiler/backend
    > and the dynamic optimization Java's runtime supports works
    > more effectively. Counterbalancing this is .NET's richer
    > service support -- SOAP is built into the library, for
    > example, and is easily set up. Both are multiplatform,
    > and .NET has more languages.

    What makes you think .NET has static optmization? It doesn't. .NET
    executables are compiled using optimizations for the computer they are
    installed on, not the computer they are originally compiled on.

    The .NET JITer will use AMD optimizations on an AMD processor, and Intel
    optimziations on an Intel chipset, since the code is compiled on demand
    (or, optionally, upon install).

  18. Re: [News] More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    In article <47276a94$0$26498$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Jim Relsh" wrote:
    > > Yeah, it couldn't possibly benefit Linux and OSS to have a document
    > > format that actually supports useful spreadsheets.

    > We have ODF for that, so the answer is 'no.'

    A document format that does not specify how to do formulas in
    spreadsheets does not support useful spreadsheets. ODF won't have this
    until 1.2 is complete.

  19. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch

    wrote
    on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:00:11 -0500
    <1ujz1e4l4gwjw.dlg@funkenbusch.com>:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:25:19 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> The main technical issue I have with .NET is a
    >> performance-related one; it is far from clear which of
    >> the static optimization offered by .NET's compiler/backend
    >> and the dynamic optimization Java's runtime supports works
    >> more effectively. Counterbalancing this is .NET's richer
    >> service support -- SOAP is built into the library, for
    >> example, and is easily set up. Both are multiplatform,
    >> and .NET has more languages.

    > What makes you think .NET has static optmization? It doesn't. .NET
    > executables are compiled using optimizations for the computer they are
    > installed on, not the computer they are originally compiled on.
    >
    > The .NET JITer will use AMD optimizations on an AMD processor, and Intel
    > optimziations on an Intel chipset, since the code is compiled on demand
    > (or, optionally, upon install).

    That's quite different from optimization during execution.
    Still, you have a point, and at least .NET is apparently
    smart enough to recognize general hardware type during
    optimization.

    I'd frankly have to study the issue, but optimization is not
    really a requirement for most web servers; the hard crunching
    is done by another machine or the database anyway.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  20. Re: More Questions Raised About Mono's Agenda

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > more effectively. Counterbalancing this is .NET's richer
    > service support -- SOAP is built into the library, for
    > example, and is easily set up. Both are multiplatform,
    > and .NET has more languages.

    SOAP in J2EE is close to a disaster. There are several different
    implementations, and interoperability between them is poor. JAX-WS (the
    J2EE5 implementation that comes with J2EE) is not happy with many simple
    WSDL files generated by JAX-RPC (the recommended SOAP implementation for
    J2EE4).

    The guy who wrote what is probably the best book on J2EE web services
    blogged about JAX-RPC afterward:

    and later, he had some good insights into JAX-WS in a series of entries
    that ended with this one:

    I haven't looked into SOAP in .NET. Does it avoid the problems the Java
    implementations keep running into?

    I wonder if this could turn out to be another DCOM vs. CORBA situation?
    I remember a long article in Information Week, about 10-15 years ago,
    giving an overview of DCOM and CORBA, aimed at people trying to decide
    which to use. Their conclusion was that CORBA was a little better
    technically--but Microsoft's tools for DCOM development were a lot
    better than anything in the CORBA camp. Given the choice between a
    slightly better technology that will take a lot of work to get working,
    and a technology that isn't quite as good, but that you can actually get
    working with a reasonable effort, guess which wins?

+ Reply to Thread