[News] Linux Gets Drivers and Applications Right (Others Do Not) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Gets Drivers and Applications Right (Others Do Not) - Linux ; Rethinking the driver ,----[ Quote ] | If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to the next | level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of Applications that I | ...

  1. [News] Linux Gets Drivers and Applications Right (Others Do Not)

    Rethinking the driver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to the next
    | level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of Applications that I
    | can download right from the OS? Linux does a pretty good job of the
    | applications downloads as well. It's features like this which, while
    | requiring quite a bit of polish, make the Linux platform more and more
    | appealing. Don't get me wrong, Linux still has device driver issues, but they
    | are actually innovating in this area as opposed to just sitting back and
    | doing what everyone else does.
    `----

    http://www.technologyevangelist.com/...the_drive.html

    Related:

    Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
    | to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
    | open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
    | back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
    | Kroah-Hartman said. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
    | overstated...
    `----

    A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
    | all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
    | that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
    | than Vista.
    `----

    http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

  2. Re: [News] Linux Gets Drivers and Applications Right (Others Do Not)

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 02:03 : \____

    >> Rethinking the driver
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to
    >> | the next level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of
    >> | Applications that I can download right from the OS?

    > Because:
    >
    > a) ... Microsoft doesn't want you using anything but MS products, and
    > b) ... You'd need a credit card.
    >
    > Which is obviously a better approach than choosing from fifty thousand
    > packages and typing "yum install ". Allegedly.

    Yes, I love apt-get myself. At present, it even make proposal.

    Example based on a true scenario I was in (from memory:

    cd ~
    ../my_old_script.sh
    The program 'mhonarc' is currently not installed. You can install it by
    typing:
    sudo apt-get install mhonarc
    Make sure you have the 'universe' component enabled
    bash: mhonarc: command not found
    sudo apt-get install mhonarc

    [snip]

    ../my_old_script.sh

    [done]

    How many keystrokes, downloads, mouse movements, and roboots would that require
    in Windows?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    The folks on the Ubuntu CD cover need to apt-get shirt, not sudo fsck.
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=