[News] [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked - Linux ; Apple OSX 10.5 hacked in one day ,----[ Quote ] | Unfortunately, even if you own a legitimate copy of Leopard, this kind of | tinkering is against Apple's terms and conditions. Even more unfortunate, is | the fact that ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    Apple OSX 10.5 hacked in one day

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately, even if you own a legitimate copy of Leopard, this kind of
    | tinkering is against Apple's terms and conditions. Even more unfortunate, is
    | the fact that Leopard torrents are already swamping the pirate scene.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...osx-hacked-day

    The iPhone was no exception.

    Related:

    iPhone Vulnerability An Open Door For Hackers - Researcher

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "I started Safari on my iPhone, browsed to a Website, and a few seconds
    | later, HD was able to get root on my phone, without a wireless connection.
    | Being able to run your own machine code pretty much opens the gates,"
    | Finisterre said. *
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/security/202404419

    iPhone Security Hellhole?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems
    | that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security
    | blunder of the 21st century to date? * *
    `----

    How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS? [Linux most secure]

    http://www.masuran.org/node/29

    Apple iPhone issue highlights security debate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Most early iPhone adopters have bought into the Apple mythology which
    | convinces them that anything blessed by Steve Jobs is automatically
    | desirable, so we won't see a mass return of the shiny devices with their
    | slick interface. *
    `----

    First iPhone 3rd Party GUI App Compiles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of course, it is the standard "Hello, world." application, but it's native to
    | the iPhone and uses the iPhone's GUI.
    `----

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...52223&from=rss

    IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
    | tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
    | control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
    | to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
    | allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain. * *
    `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/te...nw&oref=slogin

    iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The company will be selling licenses to the hack, minimum quantity 500, at a
    | price not yet announced. These hacks are much bigger news for those outside
    | America. Expect to see an industry spring up to meet European (and Asian?)
    | demand for freed iPhones. *
    `----

    http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...58252&from=rss

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 31 October 2007 01:02 : \____

    >> Apple OSX

    > Zzzzzz. ZZzz. Zzzzzzzzz. Zzz.

    It sold 2 million copies on the first day, they argue, but how many people
    downloaded Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon when it was released to torrents and mirrors?
    Who knows...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
    Swap: 1510068k total, 703420k used, 806648k free, 62064k cached

  3. Re: [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    On Oct 30, 4:39 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Apple OSX 10.5 hacked in one day

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Unfortunately, even if you own a legitimate copy of Leopard, this kind of
    > | tinkering is against Apple's terms and conditions. Even more unfortunate, is
    > | the fact that Leopard torrents are already swamping the pirate scene.
    > `----
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...apple-osx-hack...

    This may not be a coincidence or a weakness. It could be that Apple
    may be wiling to cross-license Leopard to other OEMs who are willing
    to properly and legally license the "patch" from Apple. The profits
    could be enormous and the OEMs are getting sick of the Vista Debacle.
    Vista is doing great things for Microsoft's bottom line, but Gateway
    is gone, CompUSA closed most of it's retail stores so it's now a ghost
    of it's former self, even Best Buy, Office Max, and Staples are
    feeling the pain of Vista. These days, retail customers can go to the
    mall and wait up to an hour to test drive a Mac after seeing Vista
    running on a machine that is incapable of running Aero-Glass.

  4. Re: [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Wednesday 31 October 2007 04:45 : \____

    > On Oct 30, 4:39 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> Apple OSX 10.5 hacked in one day

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Unfortunately, even if you own a legitimate copy of Leopard, this kind of
    >> | tinkering is against Apple's terms and conditions. Even more unfortunate,
    >> | is the fact that Leopard torrents are already swamping the pirate scene.
    >> `----
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...apple-osx-hack...

    > This may not be a coincidence or a weakness. It could be that Apple
    > may be wiling to cross-license Leopard to other OEMs who are willing
    > to properly and legally license the "patch" from Apple. The profits
    > could be enormous and the OEMs are getting sick of the Vista Debacle.
    > Vista is doing great things for Microsoft's bottom line, but Gateway
    > is gone, CompUSA closed most of it's retail stores so it's now a ghost
    > of it's former self, even Best Buy, Office Max, and Staples are
    > feeling the pain of Vista. These days, retail customers can go to the
    > mall and wait up to an hour to test drive a Mac after seeing Vista
    > running on a machine that is incapable of running Aero-Glass.

    I think part of the pain these retailers feel is a result of Microsoft's
    channel-stuffing (plenty of references posted to COLA, some appended again
    below), which was only possible due to hype, generated by IDC's 'shill study'
    on Vista and the ecosystem. A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role as
    well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect), so Microsoft was happy to
    boast 88,000,000 'sales' of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting there
    doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which get nothing but a pain
    and an overdraft. Those that get sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux
    anyway.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards

  5. Re: [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
    > | Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
    > | lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.informationarbitrage.com/...oft_phili.html

    So Microsoft is ****ting bricks?

    Dang spell-checker!

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Dell still selling XP

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >I think part of the pain these retailers feel is a result of Microsoft's
    >channel-stuffing (plenty of references posted to COLA, some appended again
    >below), which was only possible due to hype, generated by IDC's 'shill study'
    >on Vista and the ecosystem. A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role as
    >well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect), so Microsoft was happy to
    >boast 88,000,000 'sales' of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting there
    >doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which get nothing but a pain
    >and an overdraft. Those that get sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux
    >anyway.

    There was a Dell ad in yesterday's local newspaper, with two machines
    - one laptop, on desktop - and both were being offered with the choice
    of XP or Visduh.

  7. Re: [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 31 October 2007 12:13 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
    >> | Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
    >> | lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.informationarbitrage.com/...oft_phili.html

    > So Microsoft is ****ting bricks?
    >
    > Dang spell-checker!

    It was actually you, Linonut, that extracted this bit of text. I still remember
    that threat. I quoted some poorer parts. Great example that was, and I've been
    using it to support arguments of mine, even outside COLA.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep

  8. Re: Dell still selling XP

    ____/ chrisv on Wednesday 31 October 2007 13:11 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>I think part of the pain these retailers feel is a result of Microsoft's
    >>channel-stuffing (plenty of references posted to COLA, some appended again
    >>below), which was only possible due to hype, generated by IDC's 'shill study'
    >>on Vista and the ecosystem. A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role as
    >>well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect), so Microsoft was happy to
    >>boast 88,000,000 'sales' of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting there
    >>doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which get nothing but a pain
    >>and an overdraft. Those that get sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux
    >>anyway.

    > There was a Dell ad in yesterday's local newspaper, with two machines
    > - one laptop, on desktop - and both were being offered with the choice
    > of XP or Visduh.

    They should have named it Vid-dud.

    Windows Dud: for those who don't know better.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free software is what's left and what's also right
    Tasks: 111 total, 1 running, 109 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  9. Rex Ballard: citations please ..

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    Citations please for these statements of yours ...

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...d44043ede488d8

  10. Re: Dell still selling XP

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:11:27 -0600
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>I think part of the pain these retailers feel is
    >>a result of Microsoft's channel-stuffing (plenty
    >>of references posted to COLA, some appended again
    >>below), which was only possible due to hype, generated
    >>by IDC's 'shill study' on Vista and the ecosystem.
    >>A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role as
    >>well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect),
    >>so Microsoft was happy to boast 88,000,000 'sales'
    >>of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting there
    >>doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which
    >>get nothing but a pain and an overdraft. Those that get
    >>sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux anyway.

    > There was a Dell ad in yesterday's local newspaper, with two machines
    > - one laptop, on desktop - and both were being offered with the choice
    > of XP or Visduh.

    Dell's record is decidedly mixed here.

    The Inspiron 531s is only offered with Home Basic (it's
    a cheapie $349 unit, so this isn't too surprising -- though
    one wonders what happened to the $199 units with Linux
    on them that Walmart offered at one point).

    The Inspiron Advanced (??) 530 includes options for
    Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista Home Premium; the
    531, however, only offers Vista Home Premium. The XPS
    210 all have the XP option; the XPS 420 only comes with
    Vista Home Premium. The XPS 720 all have the XP option,
    as well as Home Premium.

    And Dell is playing a few more interesting games; the
    cheapest unit with preinstalled Ubuntu is the Inspiron
    530N, at $549 -- and one has to pull down "Open Source
    Desktops" from the blue menu and then click the Ubuntu
    button to get to it. The cheapest FreeDOS unit is even
    more expensive: $599 for a Inspiron 531s Open Source,
    and for some reason the 531s is positioned to the *right*
    of the 530s unit in the content lineup. (Since 'Murkins
    read left-to-right and might assume cheapest is at the left
    [certainly I do!], this appears a little misleading.)

    I'd have to look into the details (presumably, the Open
    Source desktops have higher performance and/or memory)
    but this is weird on the surface.

    The message is interesting. Apparently somebody complained
    about the "Dell recommends", so now we get the cheery,
    though somewhat logical, reminder that

    "Note: Dell does not support non-Dell installed operating systems."

    I'm curious as to why these prices. Is it:

    [a] that Dell has excess inventory in the preinstalled Vista
    items, and wants to get rid of them at a lower price?

    [b] that Microsoft is giving Dell a discount for every
    preinstalled Vista box sold?

    [c] that Dell's contract assesses a punitive premium
    on every *non*-Vista box sold?

    [d] that Dell assumes that Linux requires good-quality
    merchandise, and that customers will pay more for good
    quality merchandise?

    [e] that Dell subcontracts the actual machine construction
    and software loading to outfits in China, Japan,
    Korea, India, and Mongolia, and that there are more
    Vista loading companies out there than those willing
    to load Linux and FreeDOS?

    [f] none of the above?

    OK, so I'm a tad paranoid today. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  11. Re: Dell still selling XP

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>I think part of the pain these retailers feel is a result of Microsoft's
    >>channel-stuffing (plenty of references posted to COLA, some appended again
    >>below), which was only possible due to hype, generated by IDC's 'shill
    >>study'
    >>on Vista and the ecosystem. A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role
    >>as
    >>well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect), so Microsoft was happy to
    >>boast 88,000,000 'sales' of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting
    >>there
    >>doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which get nothing but a
    >>pain
    >>and an overdraft. Those that get sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux
    >>anyway.

    > There was a Dell ad in yesterday's local newspaper, with two machines
    > - one laptop, on desktop - and both were being offered with the choice
    > of XP or Visduh.

    Isn't choice a wonderful thing.

  12. Re: Rex Ballard: citations please ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Wednesday 31 October 2007 14:56 : \____

    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    > Citations please for these statements of yours ...
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...d44043ede488d8

    Just leave him alone, Doug. Please.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No Makefile, no business
    Mem: 515500k total, 444532k used, 70968k free, 5560k buffers

  13. Re: Dell still selling XP

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 31 October 2007 15:16 : \____

    Microsoft OEM LICENSE AGREEMENT
    FOR MINIMUM COMMITMENT PAYMENTS

    #2811-7060 dated march 1, 1997
    with DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...00/PX02663.pdf

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
    00:00:05 up 1 day, 4:11, 3 users, load average: 0.98, 1.16, 1.32