Linux support for Mbox 2/Digidesign HW - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux support for Mbox 2/Digidesign HW - Linux ; I was recently looking at: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesi...26-i1177446.gc Sad to say it, but, the Mbox 2 looks to be completely closed-proprietary, having a non-standard USB interface. If it were supported under Linux, I'd buy it in a second. Then I also saw ...

  1. Linux support for Mbox 2/Digidesign HW

    I was recently looking at:

    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesi...26-i1177446.gc

    Sad to say it, but, the Mbox 2 looks to be completely
    closed-proprietary, having a non-standard USB interface. If it were
    supported under Linux, I'd buy it in a second. Then I also saw the E-MU
    1616M, and this looks like a better deal. I would like something that
    includes ProTools, as I would like to use these boards under both
    Linux/Ardour and Windows. So either way, it looks like I'm screwed,
    because the 1616M doesn't come with ProTools. The Mbox does, but isn't
    likely to be supported by Linux.

    I figured flatfish would know this one, if the Mbox 2 is workable with
    Linux. My guess is that it may be doable with Wine or VMWare. Or, I
    could try to write my own driver for the Mbox (yeah, right). I realize
    both are entry-level boards.

    Donn

  2. Re: Linux support for Mbox 2/Digidesign HW

    flatfish+++ wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:35:09 -0400, Donn Miller wrote:
    >

    >>I was recently looking at:
    >>
    >>http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesi...Bundle-702526-

    > i1177446.gc
    >
    > That's a very good price for that bundle.
    > The monitors are the weak link, but even those are decent and far better
    > than using consumer speakers for monitoring, which is generally a serious
    > mistake.
    >
    > The bundled software is quite well rounded and don't let the fact that
    > most are "lite versions" fool you because the lite versions are more than
    > enough for most people. Should you need more these versions generally
    > will qualify you for upgrade discounts to the full versions.
    >
    > BTW I am not a fan of Emu.
    > I had some gowing pains with their products and I have since avoided them.
    >

    >>Sad to say it, but, the Mbox 2 looks to be completely
    >>closed-proprietary, having a non-standard USB interface. If it were
    >>supported under Linux, I'd buy it in a second. Then I also saw the E-MU
    >>1616M, and this looks like a better deal. I would like something that
    >>includes ProTools, as I would like to use these boards under both
    >>Linux/Ardour and Windows. So either way, it looks like I'm screwed,
    >>because the 1616M doesn't come with ProTools. The Mbox does, but isn't
    >>likely to be supported by Linux.
    >>
    >>I figured flatfish would know this one, if the Mbox 2 is workable with
    >>Linux. My guess is that it may be doable with Wine or VMWare. Or, I
    >>could try to write my own driver for the Mbox (yeah, right). I realize
    >>both are entry-level boards.
    >>
    >>Donn

    > The short answer is no, it will not work with Linux and chances are good
    > it will never work with Linux until Digidesign releases Linux versions.
    > Digidesign hardware is designed to work with Protools although some
    > people claim success with Mbox and Cubase.
    >
    > Here's the scoop..........
    >
    > Protools is the standard in the professional studio and nothing else is
    > even close except maybe Nuendo for post work. Universities teach courses
    > in Protools, support is excellent and while the product has gotten some
    > competition in latter years, it still remains king and for some very good
    > reasons, most of which go against the Linux and open source metric.
    >
    > Protools was born for the "sole" purpose of offering a hardware assisted
    > software package that could reliably run on the technology that was
    > present many years ago. Back in the good old days, the system CPU was
    > barely able to keep up with running the operating system let alone offer
    > recording and processing of audio data in large amounts. The Protools
    > system solved this problem by offering processing cards that would
    > offload these CPU intensive tasks to the card, there by freeing up the
    > base system to do it's normal work.

    Thanks very much for the advice. The Mbox driver is obviuusly
    implemented with 100% software, though, which means it's all done on the
    computer side. This and the fact that it's 100% closed makes it
    difficult to write a Linux driver for it. If you don't know what the
    protocol is, and it's all done with software, then it's insanely
    difficult to write a driver for it. So I don't think there's a chance
    there will ever be a driver for Linux. The only chance to write a
    driver is to do dumps of the USB streams going to and from the device
    and then try to decode what is going on with the software. I never
    really liked the idea of trying to hack together a driver in that
    manner. If the demand were great enough for Linux, Digidesign might
    find it worth the extra man-hours required to develop a Linux driver.
    I'm guessing that's one way they keep the costs down --- just support
    one platform. Hiring a Linux programmer would jack the costs up.

    There are other areas in the music industry Linux falls short. For
    example, there's some sort of "Symphony in a Box" type software for
    composers looking to write symphonic works. I've seen it available for
    Windows, and it was a little pricey. I'm sure getting things like that
    for Linux would be a hurdle. For one, the sound cared would have to be
    100% supported, especially the midi portion. But maybe those Symphonic
    software packages to write to something like an OGG or WAV file, because
    they have all these instrument patches built in already. I don't think
    it's possible to compose symphonic works on something like the Yamaha
    Motif? That would require some massive multitimbral capabilities. The
    goal is doing orchestral arrangements of backing tracks, or maybe even a
    "symphony" type orchestral work. Imagine Haydn composing symphonies on
    the Motif (or under Linux). ;-))

  3. Lightbulb Re: Linux support for Mbox 2/Digidesign HW

    Corrections to few things.

    1. Mbox devices in Windows Vista only support ASIO aware programs. This means no Media Player no Games, only pro-audio software like Pro Tools, Ableton live, Guitar Rig and Cubase ect. There is no WDM or MME driver support. Digidesign again is to blame.

    2. On the MAC Mbox devices are support fully via ASIO and Core Audio (MAC OS X default sound out system)

    On Linux if the drivers are USB Audio they should tech work.

    I will try this out and let you know.

+ Reply to Thread